So, I'm Thinking Of Getting (Another) Betta...

Pontosfan

I've had a betta for a while, as part of my tropical community tank downstairs and have been very fortunate with him. But I'm keen on the idea of setting up a betta tank in my bedroom. I always thought that keeping a betta by itself (ie. not part of a community tank) was cruel, but I've been doing some research and found that it's actually encouraged! So, I'm wondering what is the ideal set-up for a betta tank? For example: gravel or bare bottom? What kind of filter is best? Although some places have said you don't even need a filter.

When it comes to bettas being kept solitary or in a community setting, it's all about the bettas personality. Only one of my 12 bettas has proven to be community tank compatible so far. I keep Edgar, my male CT with 3 Neon Tetras, 2 Ghost Shrimp, and a small Apple Snail with no problems whatsoever. Most of my other betta boys I've given a go with have not to much liked the Tetras, and were a bit to nosey (or mouthy, I should say) with my snail and shrimp. The only way you'll ever know is by trying!

As far as tank set up and filtration go, we all know labyrinth fish don't need filtration/aeration, but if you have the space and finances, please do. I think they appreciate it just as much as any other fish. A tank thats space efficient and that has good filtration without being to strong is the Marineland Eclipse series of aquariums. I love the boiwheel feature. I have 2 Marineland Eclipse System 3 (gallon) aquariums and thus far it has proven to be betta friendly all the way. If you can afford a bigger tank and filter-go for it! For a larger aquarium, I would reccomend the Marineland Penguin and Emperor series filters. Again, love the bio wheel feature, and the current it produces is quiet, and not to strong.

I bought my Marineland Eclipse aquariums from www.petmountain.com. There price was the cheapest anywhere. I belive around $30 bucks for the whole kit. When it comes to purchasing the Marineland Penguin and Emperor filters for a larger tank, check out Google shopping and Ebay and scout out the best deal. It will most likely save you a good amout of money than what the local pet stores have to offer.

I hope this was of help!!

Good luck!

ahh i love my betta. o could love to have moar, and clearly kateana seems to have more..hahaha

she pretty much gave you the best answer, there are really simple stuff like a bowl, a bit of gravel and plants, but thats too .. i dunno cruel imo. i would definitely go for a small tank which has a sponge filter or what she mentioned the eclipse system. add some gravel, some live or fake plants (in my opinion, live :D ) and bam! i found that snails and shrimp work fine for mine. i say you should do that, get some algae eating shrimp, a snail, and to top it off, a moss ball :D little idea now cooking up in my head, but the overall mix should be good. though again, like she said, personality plays a big role, for either loneliness or community. i noticed that if you introduce other tank mates over a period of time, the betta is all chill.

hope this helps :D

oh and to add on, heaters and stuff, up to you, i would add one just to keep things stable. overall, they are simple fish to take care of, anything shall work .

Edited by jls25

I have kept mine in small 1 gallon jars/tanks on up. Some do better in the smaller and some do better in the larger. I have also kept 3 in a divided 10 gallon.

Right now I am working on moving the one in a 1 gallon jar to a 6 gallon jbj nano tank with plants, heater and a bubble stone. I have a filter for it but the filter is much to strong.

Really up to you. How much space you have, how many water changes you want to do or can do (my 1 gallon jars get a 100% water change ever 3 days or more if needed. They don't cycle.) Or if you plan on a tank mate or two.

When I use jars/bowls. I have 2 per betta. So I just fill up one move the betta take the other and clean it and have it ready for next change. Unless I planted it.

As with any fish in most casses larger is better.

I also have one in my 29 gallon. He has been in a jar and in a 10 gallon. He moves around a lot. He has done great in every set up I have had him in.

Be sure to post pictures when you get him.

Ah yes! How could I forget about the gravel and plants!

*jls25-bettas are like pistachios (or chips, if you will, lol) I just could'nt stop at one! Four of the pairs are my breeders and show quality though...*

Aaany way, in my Marineland Eclips tanks, I have about 1" or so of black gravel (to better enhance the color of the fish and plants, and several nice sized Java Fern per tank. They look so lovely because of the Eclipse lighting system. It makes them a luscious Spring green; further enhanced, of course, by the black gravel. The shrimp like to pick through the Java and hide in it, and Edgar loves to rest on it's leaves when he is'nt bubblenesting!

Here's a picture of Edgar in the Eclipse

*you can sort of see one of the Tetras in the background, and see how green the plants look*:

NearlyPerfectPose-1.jpg

I have 2 bettas and keep them on their own in 5 and 6 gallon tanks without filters, one of the tanks is in my bedroom and my usually-silent filter would always choose 2am to start making odd noises so I just took it out. Both fish seem happy enough without filters but I do 100% weekly water changes to keep them that way. You're probably already aware of this but as it hasn't been mentioned, it is highly recommended you get a heater, bettas are tropical fish after all!

Mine are both in almost barebottom tanks. I don't use gravel after an issue with planaria but I do have glass pebbles and river rocks in both my tanks, soft fake plants and java ferns. I use mugs and shot glasses as caves at the moment because I haven't found anything else that I like enough to spend the money on!!! The fish don't seem to mind :)

What about tank size? Again, I'm getting conflicting information. Some sites are saying 1-2 gallons and others are saying that's cruel; that you need atleast 3-4, but prferably 5-6. But that again conflicts with other places that say that a tank that's too big will stress them out because they have too much territory to patrol. I could always ask at my local fish shops, but they seem to think it's ok to keep bettas in those little cups so their advice can hardly be reliable.

I think the space also depends on the betta. I keep mine in 5 gallon-ish tanks as I've said before and both mine are happy. Hidr keeps hers in smaller tanks and presumably they're happy too. One thing I will say is try not to keep them in a round bowl, I don't think mine liked the curved surface, I think it stressed him out, but that's just my experience. I keep one of mine in a Hagen Marina 21 and the other in a Hagen Pals Pen 17.5 litre, they're both pretty cheap tanks and cost about £20 each. I prefer the Pals Pen (My link) as it's a lot more light, the other one is quite dark and hard to see without a light, and fitting one is difficult. You can get them at Pets at Home or similar. With the PP tank I have an IKEA desk light behind it with the lamp over it and it works really well, on the Marina it doesn't make a huge difference. If I find a spare £20 lying around I'd definitely buy another one to replace the Marina tank, it's dark and I've got scars on my arms from cutting myself on the sharp front corners (it's trapezoidal and they're really pointy!). It works for my blue betta at least though, he couldnt' believe his luck when he was released from his tiny bag he'd been in for who knows how long into this 'huge' tank all for him! A heater will probably set you back another £20 too.

This is one of my setups for the PP tank :)http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/IMG_3418.jpg The fishie is hiding somewhere...

You can do smaller but smaller means more work. I am upgrading my last one from his 1 gallon to a 6 gallon planted tank. I love playing around with plants and it is less trouble then doing 100% water changes ever 2-3 days in my 1 gallon jar.

Both of my bettas are in 9 gallon planted tanks, and they both use all of the tank!

Both have filters and heaters, but I'm going to take one of the filters out as he just doesn't like it, but because of the water volume I will just be doing 100% water change weekly rather than every other day.

I think it's personal preference really, every betta is different!