Bottom Sitting Post Eggs

spillie

My new oranda, who laid a heap of eggs in a 1 day period 6 days ago, has been bottom sitting next to the eheim 2217 filter intake the last few days. She perks up when fed, but otherwise, is mostly hanging in the corner with occassional forays around the tank.

I did change 50% of the water a day or two after the egg laying, and am doing my regular weekly 50% change today. Params are fine and the filter is cycled (came from main tank). There are two fish in this (30 gallon) QT tank at the moment and the tele --Hugo-- is fine and active (but no longer paying any attention to Sophie). Since it is QT, I have .3% salt and prazi in the water.

So I am wondering, is this bottom-sitting normal post egg-laying? I cannot believe she has more eggs in her, she laid more than I would have thought could fit in her body. Anyway, I see no long poos with bubbles in them or whatever...

Is there any chance she may be working on a new batch? How often can they lay eggs, anyway?

[btw I keps some eggs and put them in a bucket with tank water, but none hatched.]

hey - she must be exhausted! I remember Trinket told me they change a bit their character/ behavior while they are laying/ post. she is probably just recovering from the 'work' (?)

• Admin

I had a fish that did this too hun, just kept an eye on her and made her comfy. Mine also had laid 2 batches of eggs in the same month :)