Sign in to follow this  
monkeyzero

Im A Horrible Person

So

As in my previous topic, I was promised a new tank. 60-70 gallons.

However, my report card came in and a had 2 bad grades.

All As and 2 Cs. SO, my parents got mad and only gave me a 10 gallon kit instead. This will be ok for a few months... Or until christmas rolls around and i can buy the 60 gal...

SO right now, its cycling, with 3 feeders. Black gravel with a blue background. Not much now... Any suggestions?

I plan on turning it into a tropical tank after the cycle...

ANy help?

I feel horrible... :unsure::cry1

Aww, don't beat yourself up! You're not a bad person!

I would personally rehome the feeders instead of having to deal with all of the trouble of cycling with them. Maybe instead get a small pearlscale or a baby ryukin?

For now just maintain the water quality and maybe show your parents that a 10 gallon is not acceptable ofr 3 feeders. You're doing a good job taking care of them already I'm sure. Just don't beat yourself up :)

It sounds like your plan is to just use the feeders to cycle. What do you plan to do with them when you are done with the cycle? That is if any of them make it through the cycling process. You still need to keep up daily water changes. If your plan is to have a small tropical tank you can do some cool things in a ten gallon. Just keep in mind your size of tank and what type of fish you can get that will work with that size.

After the cycle, if they survive, they will be given back to the store in exchange for 3 fish for under $2 a piece. THese guys love me at theLFS. I will probably do tetras

Most tetra's need to be in groups of 6 or more. I would do a betta. Or something like small like neons. My 10 gallon has guppies.

Good luck.

I had a 5 1/2 gallon tank with a single male betta. It was very pretty and he was extremely happy in there. 10 gallons isn't bad, and you can make it look very nice. When I first got into fishkeeping I had two commons in that 5 1/2 gallon tank and then I made the huuuge upgrade to a... wait for it... TEN GALLON tank!!! I thought that was the coolest ever until I realized one day that those two commons were almost as long as the tank and could not move very much in there. When one of them got sick and I found KGW I went to a 30 gallon.

At the moment I have tetras and cory cats in my 30, and they are a blast to care for. I still have my workhorse goldfish filtration on there (Eheim Pro II canister filter, 300+ GPH iir) and pretty much all I have to do is drop in food every other day and wipe the walls once in a while. I love it!

And of course your water changes. (I am sure you just forgot to add that. lol) No matter how big the filter you still need to do those.

*facepalm* D'oh! Yeah, I do the water changes in that tank about once a month or when the nitrate test kit starts giving numbers I don't like.

56 hour workweek has my brain fried. >>

After the cycle, if they survive, they will be given back to the store in exchange for 3 fish for under $2 a piece. THese guys love me at theLFS. I will probably do tetras

Why not just give them back now and get something like the others have suggested (say a betta)?

That would save them from suffering, and also make things easier on you as other fish don't produce as much waste.

It's hard to young and living under your parents rules and limited income. But later you will still have restrictions so try to get used to living within your means.

Just pick a reasonable and healthy/ethical goal and go with it:) You have a bunch of options as you can see!

Your ten gallon can become your hospital tank when you have your 60. Good luck with your cycling!

Don't forget to invest in the right size filters. You need lots of filtration for goldfish.