Sign in to follow this  
bberyy91

Add Ice To Tank

could you slowly add ice to the tank if it is around 82 degrees?

I have used ice in baggies before. Heck I have actually just plunked some in a time or two.

I personally when I need to keep the tank cool is use a fan. Just aim it so its flow is going across the tank top (across the top of the water). Now in that room I have a ceiling fan :)

My tank reached 86'F from the lights, I don't have a heater. I tried adding bottles of ice, and they'd melt within 2 minutes with the lights off. Did not work for me at all. If I used icecubes they'd be gone in the time it took me to refill the tray and put it in the freezer. Now I don't have the lights on at all and my tank sits at around 72-74'F and my fish are much happier, they did not like the warm water at all. I left my lights on while I was at work on Friday (I usually turn them on for an hour in the morning for feeding and watching before I go to work) and the temperature shot up to 77'F just in the 8 hours I was away. I hardly have the lights on at all and it's really helping keep the temperature down. I need to rig up a fan unit to sort that out but until then, this works for me and keeps my fish happy and healthy. Give it a try, no lights for 3 days and see how much your temperature drops.

If you use ice straight out of the freezer be sure to add Prime to the tank, becuase the melted ice will add chlorine to your water. A litte bit will not matter much, but if you are using lots of ice then you may run into a problem. That is why frozen bottles are safer, but be sure to dip some of the water out since the frozen bottles will displace the water in your tank.

i have prepared ice in the freezer from pristine tank water.. but then again, i have a large freezer and it can carry heaps.. otherwise, suggestions of bottled water in the freezer to aid in cooling the tank is a great idea!..

once, i wet some towels, covered the tank with them and then set the fan on (blowing directly onto the wet towels).. the towels remained cool because they were wet and the fan was blowing on them and the tank cooled down substancially within 2-3 hours..

i like your profile picture! =D i have 2 mystery snails. :)

I have used ice in baggies before. Heck I have actually just plunked some in a time or two.

i did the same where i plunked one it, but it did not do anything. was worried about giving them shock. i like the idea of using a frozen water bottle though... do you think that they could slowly adjust to that change?

many thanks.. i love watching them get around..

i like the idea of using a frozen water bottle though... do you think that they could slowly adjust to that change?

Yes, they do. The key is to drop the temp relatively slowly. I would bet that 10 degrees in an hour wouldn't be a good thing, but I would say 5 is okay. How big is your tank?

i like the idea of using a frozen water bottle though... do you think that they could slowly adjust to that change?

Yes, they do. The key is to drop the temp relatively slowly. I would bet that 10 degrees in an hour wouldn't be a good thing, but I would say 5 is okay. How big is your tank?

20 gallons

i was just watching them this morning for like 7 minutes! =D

do your fish bug your snails at all, or try nipping at them sometimes? how many do you have?

how can you tell what sex they are?

nice video by the way! :D

do your fish bug your snails at all, or try nipping at them sometimes? how many do you have?

i have two.. franky and jasper.. generally the gf don't care for their presence.. only during feeding time whent they get abit hoggish for food they kind of attack everything and if a snail is in their path, they will give it nip.. but, it's a 66gallon and plenty of places for them to hide.. given this though, i try to feed the fish away from where the snails are.. i have no idea at all what sex they are.. i've had them for 3 years now and no babies. so their either same sex or they've divorced!! :rofl

i have two.. franky and jasper.. generally the gf don't care for their presence.. only during feeding time whent they get abit hoggish for food they kind of attack everything and if a snail is in their path, they will give it nip.. but, it's a 66gallon and plenty of places for them to hide.. given this though, i try to feed the fish away from where the snails are.. i have no idea at all what sex they are.. i've had them for 3 years now and no babies. so their either same sex or they've divorced!! :rofl

hahha. well the one snail always climbs on the other, and i am not sure what is going on... the one tries to shake them off, and so i have no clue what is going on here! i don't even know how they mate lol.

Frozen bottles work best. I throw afew in the pond during summer, the fish crowd around them to keep cool on really hot days. The big 2.5L ones last afew hours even in the summer heat here, so if mum chucks them in on her lunch break when it starts to heat up, by the time I get home from school, I can replace them with fresh ones.

But as you guys know, I practically live in a desert where a 40-45*C summer day is normal. Although the fish can tolerate it, they sure don't like it. That's why my pond is under the pergola in the shade! :rofl I can also open the window next to the pond which lets the cool air out over the water surface (evaporative cooling for goldfish!)

As for snails, if you want them to mate lowering the water level a tad will do it (assuming you have a male/female pair or a hermaphrodite species). They crawl up and lay their eggs above the waterline! I have so many snail egg capsules around the edge of my pond it's not funny anymore. :krazy::rofl

Frozen bottles work best. I throw afew in the pond during summer, the fish crowd around them to keep cool on really hot days. The big 2.5L ones last afew hours even in the summer heat here, so if mum chucks them in on her lunch break when it starts to heat up, by the time I get home from school, I can replace them with fresh ones.

But as you guys know, I practically live in a desert where a 40-45*C summer day is normal. Although the fish can tolerate it, they sure don't like it. That's why my pond is under the pergola in the shade! :rofl I can also open the window next to the pond which lets the cool air out over the water surface (evaporative cooling for goldfish!)

As for snails, if you want them to mate lowering the water level a tad will do it (assuming you have a male/female pair or a hermaphrodite species). They crawl up and lay their eggs above the waterline! I have so many snail egg capsules around the edge of my pond it's not funny anymore. :krazy::rofl

haha i like your last sentence. i have seen them come up to the top sometimes, but not sure if they are laying eggs... why do they do it there? and isnt it kind of disqusting and messy if you have a lot of them just floating around? and would my goldfish eat them?

Edited by bberyy91