Is My Guy Pure Ranchu?

vildotcom

i've always called my yen a ranchu but he doesn't look like a lot of ranchu i've seen floating around the web. he must be a mix of some sort. any guesses? regardless of what he is i still love him to death.

DSC01475.jpg

Just causes he dose not look perfect does not mean he is not what he was sold as. Could be just the quality of the fish.

• Admin

That fish is a cutie, my opinion of having Ranchu's and Lionhead's... this fish looks like a cross, as we like to call them Lionchu's. This fish's wen is so awesome at this age :)

I agree with Koko. It looks like a lionchu. The tail tuck looks like a Ranchu, but the back looks like a Lionhead.

Cute though, whatever he is! :)

• 2 months later...

Probably a lionchu, like the others said. Most LFS get culled stock from breeders. It's harder to find high quality goldfish from local stores, unfortunately.

But he is a nice fish, all the same. I really like his colour, and wen development.

• 8 months later...

poor Yen, low quality fish :yeah: thanks for the replies folks. i appreciate it.

Don't be disappointed your fish looks great. I once had a pet supermarket ranchu who lived for 7 years. He was my first fancy and may have not been top quality looking but was definitely a top quality fish.

• 3 months later...

Adorable! I don't think my 'ranchu' is a true ranchu either, but I love him to death too. My Rango is a cyclops now :-O

Fanny pecked one of his eyes out a month ago! But all is well now phew

• 1 month later...

really hard to tell since we dont know the parents. but if i had to guess i would say its a lionhead cuz of the kinda straight back. ranchu's and lionchu's have a curve back. as the lionhead is straight. or its a bad quality ranchu. regardless its still cute and as long as you like it.

Even if you had the parents that's no indication as to the genetic quality of the fish. There is rarely such thing as a 'purebred' fish because there are so many genetic varieties that crop up each spawning. (single tails, single anals, joined or partial joined anal fins, longer as opposed to deeper body) Normally where you got the fish is the indicator as to how likely it is to match a breed standard, most box stores or pet stores sell cheap culls that they get from china. Individual breeders are your best bet for a match to a breed. It's been a couple months I'm curious as to how that wen is forming now.

He is certainly a cutie pie!! I don't have a show quality fish in the bunch.....never have....& really don't care. I pick fish that please ME!! I like to look at them and enjoy them....that's all that matters. Well...other than keeping them alive & as healthy as possible!!

But this hobby is to bring enjoyment to ourselves. Or else why bother? Have fun!