Sign in to follow this  
Guest tex02

Moving And Set Up Questions

Guest tex02

Hi all, I have done a search and found a few answers to some questions but I am still a little worried about this move. I have one fancy tail goldfish I have had for a about 4 years. He has lived in a ten gallon tank pretty happily. We are moving to a new house that is in the country, I am currently living in the city with municipal city water. The house we are moving into uses well water that has sulphur in it and is hard water. My first question is I need to move this fish, I need to do it as simply as possible, the ride is about 3 1/2 hours. From what I have read I can put the fish into a 5 gallon bucket and cut a hole on the top for oxygen and use my emergency battery air pump. My second issue is I bought a new 30 gallon tank for the new place, can I use the hard sulphur water as my fish tank water, and I can set up the tank a week before and use some gravel in the fish's old tank so the tank can cycle for a week before the big move. My daughter would be devastated if I mess this up and kill the fish so any advice would be golden. Thanks in advance for all your advice. Ps, the pet stores here stink, I have asked several of them and have been given so much different advice that even one place said the fish would not even make the trip so any help from them is useless.

Tex

Im really not sure about the Sulfur in the water hun, I never ran across that and maybe someone will be able to help you on that.

So if someone can tell us about it that would be great, but for other advice.......... I would set up your new tank (say if others say the water is safe) and do what you said about gravel and if you (once there) take the filter off the old tank and put it on the new one, the cycle should only be a bump :)

Also have you tested the other water, you will want to make sure what the PH lvl is, since moving from one place to the next can have different lvls. You need to slowly introduce water to them if the PH is off by 1.0ppm this can shock them and possible kill them. :(

Guest tex02

Thanks for the quick reply Koko, I am just really nervous moving this guy on such a long trip, I think I will go with the plan of the 5 gallon bucket filled 1/4 way, I will cover it with the cover it comes with an drill large holes in the middle for oxygen and have an air pump in there for the ride. I will check the ph of the house water when I go to the house in a couple of weeks, but just in case I can't use the water from the house, what other suggestions does anybody have. I plan on putting a brita filter on the faucet and filling up buckets of water a few days before a water change and I would treat the water with stress coat. If anybody has any suggestions that would be appreciated.

Tex

Sulfur, usually referring to hydrogen sulphide in the water is something you see with well water or ground water, but fortunately I've never had to use in water for fish tanks--but it makes the water smell terrible/taste to begin despite there being is no health risks to humans I am aware of. Is it just ground or well water, or do you know if the sulfur is also coming from a reaction in your water heater?

I'm not sure what it does to alter the chemical composition of the water, or if it changes pH, has a different effect on the cycle, but a good water filter that can remove the possible sulfur particles will be your best friend. Chlorine can help great rid of the sulfur, but your water filter will have to be rinsed out often to great rid of any sulfur particle residue. I'm not an expert but my father is good with home improvement and my grandmother has well water up where she lives.

Keeping carbon in your tank filter may help with removing some of the sulfur, but you'll have to replace it a lot more often. Hopefully someone else with actual experience with this can help out.

Good luck with your moving, and Koko has given great advice on adjusting your fish to the different pH level! Nice and slow acclimation will reduce a lot of stress.

Guest tex02

Thanks for the reply MadameSpank, I think what I am going to do about my water situation is buy some 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot and fill them with my current house water from the city, I will do the initial tank fill with that, then I will buy 5 gallon jugs of water from the store and use that for my water changes. I just want to make sure I am doing the correct procedure with moving my little guy from this house to the new one. Any more advice would be gladly appreciated.

Tex

I have been meaning to ask this question so this seems like a good place to ask it, what about rain water ?

Rainwater is a natural source of water & coldwater fish are exposed to it all the time in the wild anyway so it can't be all that bad for fish can it ?

Has anybody ever tested rainwater for ph no2 etc ?

I personally wouldnt use Rain water, since sometime the water your getting from the sky may not be from the same area, and you dont know what the chemistry of the water is ... JMO

The reason why you don't see any ill effects of acid rain or pollutants in the atmosphere on aquatic wildlife is the small concentration of the altered ph level compared to the very vast amount of water already existing in an established ecosystem. It is greatly diluted once introduced to a lake or river. I agree with Koko, there's too many variables with rainwater, I would never use it on my fishtanks, but I can see why you are curious, considering how many people who keep large ponds. It never hurts to ask. :)

You're welcome tex02. Gah, I totally forgot to suggest the very thing until after I hit the "post" button, but I figured you already decided to do that. Hopefully someone who has had the same problem can lend some advice from experience, it could help you out much more than I could. Everything going well with the move so far?

Guest tex02

The move is going well, just a very drawn out move, I will be totally done on the 26th of June when I will have all our stuff moved in, thanks.

My one issue is I will be going to the house this weekend to set up the tank, I will have it running for a week without the fish, unfortunetly I won't be back at the house until the following weekend with the fish. What I was going to do is set up the tank and add Cycle to the water for two days, I have to be back at my old house on that Sunday,so I won't be able to check on the water until the following week. I will have the tank running fish less for the week until the following Saturday when I bring the little guy, does this sound ok, I can bring some gravel from the old tank and put some in the new tank with the new gravel so it can run that way for the week. Am I going about this correctly or is there something else I should be doing. Unfortunetly this is the only way I can do this as I can't get to the house during the week as the ride is @ 3 hrs one way.

Thanks,

Tex

The move is going well, just a very drawn out move, I will be totally done on the 26th of June when I will have all our stuff moved in, thanks.

My one issue is I will be going to the house this weekend to set up the tank, I will have it running for a week without the fish, unfortunetly I won't be back at the house until the following weekend with the fish. What I was going to do is set up the tank and add Cycle to the water for two days, I have to be back at my old house on that Sunday,so I won't be able to check on the water until the following week. I will have the tank running fish less for the week until the following Saturday when I bring the little guy, does this sound ok, I can bring some gravel from the old tank and put some in the new tank with the new gravel so it can run that way for the week. Am I going about this correctly or is there something else I should be doing. Unfortunetly this is the only way I can do this as I can't get to the house during the week as the ride is @ 3 hrs one way.

Thanks,

Tex

I would definitely add some gravel from your tank into the new tank so it can get started cycling. However, you need to have a way to feed the bacteria during a fishless cycle. You should pic up some pure ammonia at the hardware store (The kind that doesn't fizz when you shake the bottle) This will feed the bacteria so you can keep the cycle fed.

Guest tex02

Thanks for the reply Tay, would the Cycle take place of the pure ammonia. My one concern is that once I set the tank up without the fish for the week and I go back the following week with the fish, I won't be there for that week until the following weekend when I permanently move. I will have some one feed the fish for the week but no water tests will be done. I will have small portions of food set out as to not over feed him. So basicly I won't have my eye on the little guy until the following week. I would just take him on my major move but it will be a very stressful day as I am driving the moving truck to my new location and that may take much longer to get to my new house.

Thanks,

Tex

Thanks for the reply Tay, would the Cycle take place of the pure ammonia. My one concern is that once I set the tank up without the fish for the week and I go back the following week with the fish, I won't be there for that week until the following weekend when I permanently move. I will have some one feed the fish for the week but no water tests will be done. I will have small portions of food set out as to not over feed him. So basicly I won't have my eye on the little guy until the following week. I would just take him on my major move but it will be a very stressful day as I am driving the moving truck to my new location and that may take much longer to get to my new house.

Thanks,

Tex

I think the cycle will be just fine for a week. If you have amquel or prime, the person who comes over can dose that to the tank while you're gone for a week to make sure the water will be fine while you're gone. I think he will be fine.

Guest tex02

Thanks,

Tex

I think the cycle will be just fine for a week. If you have amquel or prime, the person who comes over can dose that to the tank while you're gone for a week to make sure the water will be fine while you're gone. I think he will be fine.

Thanks for the advice :) and for the vote of confidence, this has to be the most stressful part of my move :) :)

Regards,

Tex

Guest tex02

Well, the fish move is done, and was very successful, Goldie is in her new tank in the new house. I want to thank all those who helped me with my questions, I was very nerved with this part of the move of moving the fish, the final move will be on the 26th, I have family feeding Goldie until I get there on the weekend. I went with a rubbermaid container and I drilled holes on the cover for the air exchange, I put in @ 5 gallons of water and had a portable air pump. The total ride took @ 4 hours and the acclimation another 2 1/2 hrs. So far all is good and Goldie was back to her? normal routine and eating by this morning. She was pretty calm for whole ride which consisted of a couple of "bumps" along the way. Again thanks to all who helped and here is a video I shot of her in the tank :)

Regards,

Tex

Ps, here is the video

OH MY GOD! :o:heart:heart:heart

What a magnificent job you've done on her, she's huge! What a gorgeous plus sized girl! I'm glad she took the traveling so smoothly! What a beautiful setup you have, with all the blue tone contrasting with Goldie's colors. Hope the rest of the move goes this nicely!

Hey there! I'm glad everything went well. You've got a beautiful goldfish there! :)

I also am doing a big move... I was thinking of putting my little guys into bags with air and them enclosing them with sponges or something as protection. Or should I just buy a lidded tub then? xxx

Ok, so I know you've moved already, but since you never got an answer to your sulphur question, I thought I'd help as best I'm able. Keep in mind, I've not had any experience with FISH and sulphur water, however, I used to live in a place where there was a lot of sulphur even in the CITY water. MOST water filters will remove sulphur, a brita or similar should do the trick unless you have unusually high amounts in your water. If your filter removes enough so that you can no longer smell/taste sulphur in the water, I would GUESS that it has removed enough to be safe for your fish, though I'm not certain on that point. Hope this helps!

TDR

I to have a big big move coming up, we are moving over 1800 KM away, my poor babies are going to be living in a rubbermaid tote (the biggest I can find) I'm going to use the water out of the tank, all filter media, rocks and plants in the tote, a battery operated airstone, prime, water test kit and daily partial water changes....in total I think they will be in the tote for app 14 days, I think we have all our bases coverd. We're packing more for the fishies (5) than we are for ourselves.....should be an interesting trip. 5 fish, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 4 plants 2 kids, 1 mother, and 1 hubby in 2 cars and a utility trailer.....