Should I Be Worried?

I noticed when I first got Neville that his shell was lighter in color at the opening. Now it's like the dark part seems to be 'receding'. I mean, it seems that the lighter part is growing up his shell. It's not as hard or coarse as the rest is. It's growing at a rapid pace. Is his shell in the beginning stages of deteriorating? If so, what can I do to stop it? I have a cuttlebone but he won't touch it; it's slowing dissolving in the tank. He's getting bigger, I can tell, so he's obviously getting enough food, right? I love Neville so much, I hate that he could be in danger.

That is new shell growth. What is the ph in that tank? I believe snails like it really high to have good new shell growth. Like 8.0 or more.

Also I use to buy special food for my snails when I had apple snails that was suppose to help their shell.

If I was you I would go to one of those apple snail sites and see what they say about it. Been a while since I had snails.

Thanks, Hidr. pH is like 7.2. I could buy a buffer for higher, but would my goldies be okay in pH over 8.0? If you're sure it's new shell growth, that really puts my mine at ease. :) How long do you think it will take to harden?

I pulled him out of the water to get a good look at him and WHOA his shell really HAS grown! I measured the new, transluscent growth and it came out to 1 cm. I've only had him 2 months or so, so it must be a good thing if it's growing that fast. :) I couldn't find anything online that said how long it would take to harden. I feel like a proud mother! Lol.

Here are a couple of pics.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll303/s0c0f0b/utf-8BSU1HMDA1ODUuanBn.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll303/s0c0f0b/utf-8BSU1HMDA1OTEuanBn.jpg

Edited by whitner

I don't know much about water snails.

But I do know that regular land snails (by lack of a better word) also get that translucity to their shell when it grows.

Especially the babies have really thin delicate shells!

I think I'd just wait and see how it develops for now.

But again, I know absolutely nothing about water snails!

I believe all snail shells grow the same. It grows a lot everyday. It's not as transparent either. And while I'm glad that it's growing, I wonder if his body can keep up. LOL.

My apple snail started getting this, and I added a cuttlebone to the tank and his shell really toughened up noticeably. I keep tadpole snails at the moment in their own tank and they have really transparent shells because of a lack of calcium in their diet, but they're food snails for our puffer so I'm not too bothered.

Ideal pH range is 7.5 or more. Certainly, new shell growths are a welcome change but a rapid growth especially if the shell growth is delicately thin, may not exactly be the best for a snail as it becomes prone to injuries especially with a dangerously thin shell.

Your goldfish will be fine with pH of 8.0. Add crushed corals or limestone pieces in your filter to help buffer the water and increase the pH a bit. It'll be beneficial to both your goldfish and snail.

What is the temperature of your tank? Ideal temp should be no more than 78 degrees. 74 degrees is best. Cooling the temp a bit helps slow down the growth to allow the shell time to thicken enough to minimize possible future damage that would otherwise prove detrimental to your snail.

Any foods rich in calcium is ideal. You can try collards, kale or seaweeds. You may also add a pill of Caltrate or Tums. I prefer Caltrate however as Tums clouds the water badly (although no harm done). I used to add Caltrate daily in my tanks just to satisfy the appetite of my apple snails. Even if they don't feed on it almost immediately, they'll still absorb the calcium from their foot.

Plaster of Paris blocks are also another option. If you can find the Dap brand, get it.

Here's the recipe for PoP blocks.

Ingredients:

1600 mL of plaster of paris (Dap brand from Home Depot)

800 mL of water

1 100g container of tetra color sinking goldfish granules

Tools needed:

A large plastic pitcher

A 1L measuring cup

3 ice cube trays

A stir stick

Mix the water with the plaster until completely smooth.

Add fish food and mix evenly.

Pour into the ice cube trays. Rattle to trays to remove air bubbles. Let sit in a dry place for 2 days. Once the trays are good and solid, twist to remove the blocks. If the blocks are crumbling or breaking, they are not dry enough yet. Once they are out, cure them in a dry place for five more days (or use a food dehydrator). Once cured, they can be vacuum packed for storage. Each feeder typically lasts two weeks.

*The calcium in these feeders will buffer water to help maintain a basic pH.

For reference on calcium enriched vegetables, check below. Source from Applesnail.net.

nannasmom wrote:

I would caution us all to remember when feeding these foods that the phosphorous can have an ill effect on your water quality and may cause an algae bloom if the levels of phosphorous become too high.

Calcium:Phosphorus Ratio -- Vegetables

14.5:1 -- Collards

7.5:1 -- Spinach, Mustard

4.5:1 -- Turnip Greens

4.3:1 -- Lambsquarters

3.2:1 -- Dill Weed

3.0:1 -- Beet Greens

2.8:1 -- Dandelion Greens

2.8:1 -- Chinese Cabbage (pak-choi)

2.7:1 -- Lettuce, LooseLeaf

2.4:1 -- Mustard Greens

2.4:1 -- Parsley

2.4:1 -- Kale

2.1:1 -- Chicory Greens

2.0:1 -- Spinach

2.0:1 -- Watercress

2.0:1 -- Cabbage

1.9:1 -- Endive

1.6:1 -- Celery

1.5:1 -- Purslane

1.4:1 -- Cilantro

1.4:1 -- Lettuce, Butterhead (Boston, Bibb)

1.3:1 -- Okra

1.1:1 -- Swiss Chard

1.1:1 -- Turnip

1.1:1 -- Chard, Swiss

1.0:1 -- Squash (winter, all varieties)

1.0:1 -- Green Beans

0.8:1 -- Lettuce, Romaine

0.8:1 -- Sweet Potato

0.8:1 -- Rutabaga

0.7:1 -- Broccoli

0.7:1 -- Cucumber (with skin)

0.6:1 -- Carrots

0.6:1 -- Squash (summer, all varieties)

0.6:1 -- Carrots, Baby

0.6:1 -- Brussels Sprouts

0.5:1 -- Cauliflower

0.5:1 -- Kohlrabi

0.5:1 -- Pumpkin

0.5:1 -- Alfalfa Sprouts

0.5:1 -- Parsnips

0.5:1 -- Peppers,Green

0.5:1 -- Peppers,Red

0.4:1 -- Sweet Potato Leaves

0.4:1 -- Beets

0.4:1 -- Asparagus

0.2:1 -- Tomato

.02:1 -- Corn, White

Calcium:Phosphorus Ratio -- Fruits

4.8:1 -- Papaya

2.9:1 -- Orange

1.8:1 -- Lime

1.8:1 -- Raspberries

1.6:1 -- Lemon (no peel)

1.5:1 -- Blackberries

1.5:1 -- Grapefruit, White

1.2:1 -- Grapefruit, Pink and Red

1.2:1 -- Tangerine

1.0:1 -- Pineapple

1.0:1 -- Pear

1.0:1 -- Apple (with Skin)

0.9:1 -- Mango

0.9:1 -- Watermelon

0.8:1 -- Cherries, Sweet

0.8:1 -- Grapes

0.8:1 -- Cranberries

0.7:1 -- Casaba Melon

0.7:1 -- Apricots

0.7:1 -- Kiwi

0.7:1 -- Strawberries

0.6:1 -- Cantaloupe

0.6:1 -- Honeydew Melon

0.6:1 -- Blueberries

0.5:1 -- Persimmon, Japanese

0.5:1 -- Raisins, Seedless

0.4:1 -- Peach

0.4:1 -- Plum

0.3:1 -- Nectarine

0.3:1 -- Banana

Thanks, Lupin!

I'm just worried he won't eat anything other than algae or fish food. He's so picky! I didn't realize they could absorb nutrients from their foot! That's cool! So everytime he glides over the cuttlebone I have in the tank he's getting some calcium in his body? He refuses to eat it, but he'll eat the algae that's grown on it, so I'm hoping he's getting some that way, too.

As for his shell, the growth seems to have slowed down. It used to be that it would grow 1/10 of a centimeter every 2 days or so, but I haven't noticed any more growth. I see it thickening up though, so that's good, right? His shell is very smooth and striated. No malleation here. :)

The temperature of the tank is at a constant 75 degrees F. And the pH is usually at 7. 2 or 7.4. I try to keep it in that range.

Thank again, Lupin, for the info! :)

Thickening is a very good thing. I'd just give him a tablet of Caltrate just to help him better. He'll still absorb the calcium from the cuttlefish bone though.