New Tank Diary

Hiya everyone. I thought I'd start up this thread with a few updates on my new tank.

So this is it from eBay:

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

180litres Juwel 180. Just about fits in my car >.< I got it for £70 and it's 3rd hand, but had been barely used the first time round.

It needs a few bits doing to it. I need to totally clean it and I need to get new filter pads in it. Also the filter needs some new suction cups/sticky things for it to be held in place.

Any advice on cleaning would be much appreciated. I would rather minimise use of bleach. The tank used to be tropical before I got it.

Also any thoughts on how to put the filter back onto the inner part of the tank and where to get stuff for that?

Cheers!

P.S. I'll update with some pics when I have cleaned it and then when I take it back to uni with me and get it ready for fish moving day!

Edited by Goldfish Carer

Lovely tank at a great price! My best tip for cleaning a really yucky used tank is white vinegar -- it can remove hard water deposits from the glass beautifully. My 46 gallon bowfront sparkled like new after a couple hours of scrubbing and polishing.

I don't know if they ship to the UK, but www.BigAlsOnline.com sells lots of bits and parts and replacement pieces for quite a few brands of filter.

VERY cool tank stand! I can just picture how I'd organize it, with canister filters in two compartments and all the other stuff (food, meds, etc.) neatly contained in the others. I'm jealous!

Lovely tank at a great price! My best tip for cleaning a really yucky used tank is white vinegar -- it can remove hard water deposits from the glass beautifully. My 46 gallon bowfront sparkled like new after a couple hours of scrubbing and polishing.

I don't know if they ship to the UK, but www.BigAlsOnline.com sells lots of bits and parts and replacement pieces for quite a few brands of filter.

VERY cool tank stand! I can just picture how I'd organize it, with canister filters in two compartments and all the other stuff (food, meds, etc.) neatly contained in the others. I'm jealous!

I am cleaning it now! Just been through it with watered down white vinega and I am gonna move on and wash it all out with salted water, it's pretty clean already just needed a few marks washing off :)

Just a quick snap of the tank in my bedroom. Need to give it a final clean before I fill it. Gonna have a friend help me fill it...

To get it into my car this time we took apart the cabinet with alan keys. Doesn't take v long to put back together!

Snapshot_20100604.jpg

Just a quick snap of the tank in my bedroom. Need to give it a final clean before I fill it. Gonna have a friend help me fill it...

To get it into my car this time we took apart the cabinet with alan keys. Doesn't take v long to put back together!

Snapshot_20100604.jpg

:bounce I can't wait to see it! It's going to look so gorgeous once it's all filled up!

I can't find my camera lead at the moment boo!

But I have snapped a few on my very poor webcam for a tantalising taster of what it's all looking like now :)

Snapshot_20100605_14.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_13.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_12.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_11.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_10.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_9.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_8.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_7.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_6.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_5.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_4.jpg

Snapshot_20100605_3.jpg