Baking Powder In Fish Tank

lol I feel so silly having to create another topic so quickly but my worrying overrides that shame hehe. Anyhow, my pH and kH levels were low and I'd heard that increasing pH also increases kH and that sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) would do this and by using an online calculator, I ended up putting in 3/4 teaspoon into a 20 gallon tank yesterday in the hopes it would increase kH by 2 and pH by 0.4. It only had a tiny effect this morning so I added some more (that was probably a silly idea at 5am) but accidently put in baking powder. I should have realised when it fizzed up in the container I was dissolving it in (with tank water) but ..just assumed it was working well with the baking soda already in there :P. lol I feel such an idiot but am wondering whether this is dangerous? whether it will have reacted badly with the baking soda that's in there and whether I should get rid of it?. I've also, whilst trying to find an answer for this, seen that people don't tend to recommend chemical methods of increasing pH so I was wondering if there was any more natural ways?

Sorry, I'm just really worried I've gone and ruined the water but at least there's no fish in there. Any help would be much appreciated ^^".

Thank you.

Hey, the best time for trial and error is before the fish go in, right ;) I think a lot of people recommend crushed corral to balance ph, but I'm not sure how it works, since I've never had to use it. Hopefully someone who has used it will be able to help more. What are your water readings after the baking powder went in?

Hey, the best time for trial and error is before the fish go in, right ;) I think a lot of people recommend crushed corral to balance ph, but I'm not sure how it works, since I've never had to use it. Hopefully someone who has used it will be able to help more. What are your water readings after the baking powder went in?

Thanks for replying hehe, was getting really worried. I use a test strip method which Ive heard is really unaccurate so I'm not sure how helpful this'll be but the readings (aound 6 hours after putting it in) were the same as before I had put it in. It may have changed by tomorrow though and I think I'll probably need a more accurate method of testing the water ^^". If I did need to remove it, how would I? I presume it'd be very difficult hehe. Oh dear.

If you have to remove it, you should just be able to drain and rinse the tank and rinse filter media in dechlorinated water. But I'd wait till we hear from someone more experienced b/c that's a lot of work if you don't need to remove it :doh11:

• Admin

If it was my tank I would rinse all the filter stuff and get the water out. Powder I looked up expels co2 and thats not good... But that just me hun. :)

Baking Powder is basically the same thing as baking soda. It shouldn't harm your fish at all. :)

However, I don't think that using baking soda is a good way to raise your Kh or pH. In fact, it will only raise either for a short amount of time.

I think that they best most reliable way to get a rock solid Kh (which keeps your pH rock solid) is to use crushed coral like BuggyBear mentioned. You can usually find it in the substrate section of your LFS. Make sure you buy the DRY kind as the WET stuff has bacteria and things growing in it for Marine tanks.

Rinse it really well and add it to a media bag or old panty hose. It will take a few weeks to kick in, but once it does, it will work for YEARS. :)

Thanks for popping in guys! I was on Google looking for more info, did not know baking powder and soda were almost the same (pretty sad considering I worked in a bakery for 5 yrs!). BP has starch and tartaric acid on top of sodium bicarbonate. Did I read correctly that soda can be used for euthanizing fish?!

Baking Powder is basically the same thing as baking soda. It shouldn't harm your fish at all. :)

However, I don't think that using baking soda is a good way to raise your Kh or pH. In fact, it will only raise either for a short amount of time.

I think that they best most reliable way to get a rock solid Kh (which keeps your pH rock solid) is to use crushed coral like BuggyBear mentioned. You can usually find it in the substrate section of your LFS. Make sure you buy the DRY kind as the WET stuff has bacteria and things growing in it for Marine tanks.

Rinse it really well and add it to a media bag or old panty hose. It will take a few weeks to kick in, but once it does, it will work for YEARS. :)

Thanks ever so much and to koko and BuggyBear - the mention in the shoutout box was really really kind and obviously helped a lot :D. Thanks all of you ^^.

Gosh I'm glad the water is going to be okay ..I hope, I'm a little worried after koko's suggestion (thanks for that by the way :D, it helps to know what to do if I need to remove the water) hehe so um, might wait a little just in case anyone else says it's not a problem/it is a problem before I panic/stop panicking :P. I'll go get some crushed coral as soon as I can then along with an extra filter (gph is 80 short) and maybe some more reliable water level testers. Thanks for the suggestion, it sounds like a much more natural/reliable method!

Thanks ever so much everyone, I'm really glad I found this place to help with my endless worrying hehe. This tank has given me such a headache and there's no fish in it yet xD but it'll all be worth it when I can move my little Oranda into it. And thanks again to BuggyBear for the shoutout ^^.

Just a quick question about crushed coral, sorry not trying to hijack this thread but didn't think this question was worthy of starting a whole new one... :)

Is there any harm in adding crushed coral even if your PH is steady? Sort of as a preventative? Is this a good idea, and are there any drawbacks?

Just a quick question about crushed coral, sorry not trying to hijack this thread but didn't think this question was worthy of starting a whole new one... :)

Is there any harm in adding crushed coral even if your PH is steady? Sort of as a preventative? Is this a good idea, and are there any drawbacks?

Hehe oh don't worry :D it'd be helpful to know this too :D.