Fry With Small White Bump On Tail

Badfish

It looks like one of the fry (one of the biggest & healthiest ones actually) has a small white bump on his tail. It's towards the tip on one side. Doesn't seem to be any unusual behavior in that fry...and none of the others that I could see have anything similar.

Should I remove the one with the bump to a separate tank? Should I try salting the tank? It is almost cycled, but I do get slight ammonia readings sometimes (but no more than .25.) The tank (maybe 10-15 gallons) gets 3 gallons of water changed along with a thorough vacuum with airline tubing daily, and has a sponge filter. I am a little worried about disturbing the delicate cycle with salt, which is why I haven't added any.

Any advice as to what I should do, if anything?

i agree... I hope that it isn't ich... otherwise your entire tank is affected :doh11: as with the isolating make sure that the babies don't have any 'social needs' - not sure how such a tiny fish would react being put totally alone...

Thanks for responding :) I have never dealt with ich, so I have no idea if that's what it is? I want to say no, but I'm not sure. It's so, so tiny...both the fry and the bump (I would need a better camera than I have to show it on a photo.) Not sure if it is an injury...the fry is just so small, it's hard to tell.

I actually needed a flashlight and had to look very closely to see that it was indeed a bump.

I guess I will keep an eye out today, and hope that it just goes away. I really hope it's not something that can affect the whole bunch. I just yesterday (before noticing) adding a younger set of fry to the older ones (doh!) so if it's ich, I am in trouble. :doh11:

Thanks! :)

CFG, I know what you are saying about his being lonely if I have to separate. :( Maybe I can keep him in a completely separate clear container within the fry tank so he can see all his brothers and sisters...I wouldn't want him to be sad/stressed and then get worse.

I have one little fry right now that is breaking my heart. She seems to have overfilled her air bladder possibly, and has been stuck on the top for about 3 days now. I've had this happen to other fry a couple of times, but they straightened right out in a few hours. She keeps struggling, and I keep waiting for her to right herself, but it's just not happening. I think I may have to euthanize her today if she's not better. I know she hasn't eaten in days so she might not make it either way. Just feel so bad for the poor baby. :(

oh that's so sad... I don't think I could do it...

I just had my first ich - thankfully it was very easily treated... what you should so is 'movement' of the bumps/spots - for example it is on the fin now - and later on the other side - you know? they look like little discolorations - on my fish not really 'bumps' so maybe you are lucky!

I am not sure with fry but maybe you could turn the heat up? maybe that is enough and you could avoid the salt for now...

I actually took the little guy out to get a closer look at him. I placed him in a little white bowl, and that was when I could see that he had a couple of blood spots on his tail. Not sure what this means?

Yes, it is very hard to euthanize/cull...I am dreading when/if I have to do the healthy ones that are just not formed well. Arg. :(

I do not envy you having to euthanize them. :( But probably it is for the best, since there is simply not enough room to keep them all happy forever. At least you have given them a superb life thus far and a painless death. :heart

Thanks Sakura. :heart There's one in particular that I am just dreading sooo much. He is actually my biggest and healthiest looking one, if you can believe it...because he is by far the most "deformed" one of the bunch. His tail is at just an awful angle, and his back is just a mess. But he's got a huge belly and is definitely the biggest one and seems so healthy otherwise.

If he is allowed to make it to adulthood, he is going to be quite a sight. I just wonder if he feels any pain...he is just so kooky looking. He would be the most obvious one that should be culled....it is just going to be really, really hard. Maybe he will jsut go naturally during a die-off period and I won't have to do it. (That actually has been happening the last two days, a huge portion of my very crooked back fry have been dying off. I am so grateful for it...it seems like the ones that should go, are going.)

Hopefully the healthy ones will all survive and the deformed ones will all go....in a perfect world.... :exactly

I understand you - let nature do its work...

the other week at the pet store i saw a funky looking neon - he had a totally kinked back - i wanted to buy him just because I don't think anyone would get him! he was so cute!

I know this may sound a little strange, but perhaps you could give some of your healthier culls to your local pet shop? There are always people out there who enjoy unique fish, and perhaps they could find a home. I know when I see the quality of the goldies at my local chain pet store, it looks like the only culling that is done is by nature alone...I see kinked backs, missing fins, mouth deformities, swim bladder problems, and I've even seen a few fish with partial dorsals and split dorsals.

Just a thought if you're wanting to find alternatives to euthanasia.

I have definitely considered that Raivynn! I am torn between what would be best for them. It scares me that so many people mistreat goldfish -- I worry that if someone buys them, they may not treat them right and they would suffer. When I think about that I wonder if maybe it's best to cull them, so I know they went quickly and painlessly.

If I had a local pet shop that I could trust....that wouldn't tell people they can put 17 goldfish in a 3 gallon tank, etc....I would definitely give away the healthy ones that I don't have the room to keep. I just want to know they are going to have a chance at a good life....you know?

Semi-good news (I guess you could call it that)...the very deformed, big fry passed today. I think I had my first big die-off these past couple days. I actually moved them to a 28 gallon tank today (the healthy ones....there are still some semi-deformed ones, but they were healthy so I kept them for now to see what happens with them.) The ones that were dying or unhealthy looking and/or badly deformed I kept in the old container and added a little clove oil until they peacefully went to sleep. I will leave them in there overnight just to be sure. It seemed very humane though....there was no stress or struggling, they just slowed down and eventually stopped. It's still sad but it's better than them suffering.

I talk about culling a lot on here because it's not easy for me...but I know sometimes it's the best. I am going to do some investigating though and see if there are any local shops that are trustworthy, so I could maybe give some of the healthy fry to them if they survive. :idont

Gosh Constance,this aspect seems so very hard,and I'm sorry. After the joy of the eggs,especially. It def sounds like Mother Nature is taking care of a lot of it,but there are still some hard decisions to make. You are a great gf mom,and you are doing the very best for them-it's all out of love :heart Sometimes I think MN bites! But that's only b/c I don't see the whole picture :unsure: Keep talking about all you need to-we're here for you :hug