Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

A Story Of Fishy Friends.

Some of you might remember me talking about a little telescope eyed fish that I have. When I got him he was about 1/2". He is great friends with the Weather Loach.

The Weather Loach will watch over the little telescope at feeding time and run off shy starlight and Little Blackie if they try to crowd the little telescope out of his pellets LOL. (Whitie and Woogie are not afraid of the Loach).

And the weather Loach and telescope sometimes hang out together under plants and sleep inside the hollow rock :lol:

Well tonight I fed the fish and then went downstairs to feed the fish down there.

I came back and my little telescope was trapped under a plant. He is still small, about an inch now, and is not the strongest swimmer. I watched him struggle, trying to get out for a minute (I thought he would be able to get out himself). All of a sudden the Weather Loach leaves his pellets (He never leaves pellets he is a hog!) and comes flying over. He dives down into the gravel and burrows and comes up right under the plant and starts pushing up on the bottom of the plant. He lifts it enough that the little telescope starts to swim out, but then gets caught on it's side and is still struggling. It's panicked now and is gasping, so I am grabbing the net to move the plant, but still watching.....

The loach can't move the plant again, so he swims right beside the little fish and stayed there. The little fish stopped struggling when the loach was beside it.

My family watched this too. It was strange. I am sure the Loach was trying to help. How odd!

I moved the plant and the little fish swam free, and seems fine.

I thought it an interesting story about fishy friends LOL

Jessica

Wow, that really is an amazing thing! I've always held the belief that animals, and even fish, aren't quite as dumb as we make them out to be. I mean, to actually believe that animals don't have a sort of conciousness, and that maybe goldfish do have a memory longer then 3-seconds (gasp...that can't be true!, they're just fish!), just seems like a way that we (as humans) cope with our mistreatment of animals. Anyways, I think that the human brain may be much more complex then a goldfish's, but I mean we did evolve from there right?...we can't be that much different.

Anyways, aside from my ranting (I'm currently taking a Contemporary Moral Issues class, and we just covered animal rights...it sparked some interest...apparantly... ;) ), I really liked your story. I'd like to think that my fish would help each other out in a crisis. Maybe we should all learn from the fish! :)

That is so neat Jessica. I think our little guys do have feelings and thoughts similar to ours. I heard a story once on animal planet about (if I can remember correctly an oranda and a fantail) one had a swim bladder problem and at feeding time the other fish would push the one with the problem up to the surface of the water to eat. Thats pretty neat though your little loach trying to help free him from the plant. Fish are pretty special kiddos.

What a sweet story! That is amazing. I'll tell that to the people who say, "theyre just fish." I just love hearing stories like that.

Here is a picture of the odd couple. They are resting under a plant heehee.

f9af9256.jpg

This picture was taken in January. Ok I seem to be having some trouble with image station.

Jessica

Edited by JessicaandMarshall

what a sweet story !!! my telescope CC seems to befriend the snails for some reason

Sorry the picture was here a minute ago. I give up. Imagestation is not working.

sorry :(

Jessica

Pic

post-9-1076214134.jpg

aww what a cute pic. so those are weather loaches ? and they are compatible with goldies ?

theirs seem to

Yes they are very compatable. I am in :wub: with them.

Kiesha, that is so cute that your fish befriend the snails.

Jessica

Jessica,

What a wonderful story and I love the picture of your two best buddies.

I have been tempted to get a weather loach, however, I have also been kind of frightened off by all of the trouble that you had at the beginning :(

BTW, when I was in the fish store about a week ago, there was a tank of weather loaches. Two small children and I were watching them and when their mother came over, the children asked if they could get one of the loaches since the loaches were so cute. The mother snapped at them 'no, they are ugly, you can't have one of those'. Then the mother marched over to a salesperson and ordered some tetras.

I was kind of shocked. I mean, what a thing to say to your children about a living creature. The children asked if I thought they were ugly and told them I thought they were cute, too, then told them that some of my 'friends' had loaches and that they loved them very much. The mother came over and glared at me. I think she wanted to give me a cuff on the head :rofl

That is SO neat!! It's funny how animals will become unlikely friends! I've had fish that were buddies but never as close as that, that's cool!

Touchofsky, that mother was not teaching her children very nice things LOL, I cannot imagine telling my children that a living creature was ugly, we even respect bugs LOL.

I'm glad that you told them that you thought that they were cute.

The first two loaches, and the third one <_< all turned out to be from the same supplier.

The store ordered some more Weather Loaches from another supplier, and they were fine. In fact one or two are still at the store and look nice and healthy, they've been there since right after Christmas.

I was a bit put off Dojo's as well because of all the trouble I had. The thought of buying another still scares me a bit. But the one I have now, has never been sick, and I hear that they are supposed to be quite hardy.

I think they are adorable. Maybe that lady was afraid of snakes. My friend thinks "Swampy" is creepy, but she is afraid of snakes and eels.

Jessica

Jessica,

I went back up to the fish store today, and the weather loaches are still there. So, they have been there for quite a while now, and are still healthy and active. They are by themselves in a tank, probably about 5 or 6 of them.

So, if I were to buy one, is one OK by itself with a couple of goldfish? What kind of conditions do they like, such as size of aquarium, food etc. Just anything you can tell me about their requirements :)

Hey Jess..I'm after some too.

Exactly what probs did you have?

Cute story by the way. ;)

Nice pic but what is the yellow thing hanging in the tank?

Hey Jess..I'm after some too.

Exactly what probs did you have?

Cute story by the way. ;)

Nice pic but what is the yellow thing hanging in the tank?

Hey Richy, I do you mean that ornament thing that is yellowish? It's a "crashed" truck LOL. you can see the spare tire on the back of it in the picture. The weather loach likes to hide out in it.

Touchofsky, Swampy is really easy to look after. He eats the same things the goldfish do, although he does not really seem to care for peas yet. :lol:

His main diet is Hikari lionhead. I don't have to buy special food for him or anything. I just made sure for the first few days to put some food down on the other side of the tank (while the goldies were distracted with their food) so that I could be sure that he was eating.

Now he just shoves his way into the crowd of fish and helps himself :rofl

They are fine with just the goldfish, I would like to get another though heehee.

Hmm size of aquarium, I'm not too sure about that exactly, I read online once, that they should be kept in a minimum of 20 gals, but I think they clean up more than they poop =o) (I think that meant a 20 gal tank though, not 20 gals each) Someone else here might know for sure. I have Swampy in with the goldies in a 44 gal.

They need somewhere to hide so that they can feel safe. I have this big fake rock thing in the middle of the tank, it has 3 or 4 holes in the side of it so the fish can swim through, he likes to hide in there, and in the crashed car. Apparently they can become stressed out if they have no where to hide.

They also like to play jokes on you, by burying themselves in the gravel (if you have it).....so you think that they are missing and panic :lol

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I have a 29 gallon tank with two goldfish. It does have gravel, and it has an internal filter, so there are no gaps in the hood (since I know these guys are escape artists :D ). It has some big rocks and a funny shaped piece of bogwood, so they would be good hiding places. It also has a few plants.

I think this would be the best tank. I think I am going to go for at least one ... maybe two :P

Haha

I am looking forward to getting loaches...my tank is virtually cycled so it's just a matter of finidng them and putting them in the Q-Tank for a week