::ouch!:: Bitten By The Betta Bug =]

Badfish

He's gorgeous! What a color! I can't wait to get a white. :)

I like the name Kazue. Haruko is a girl's name (all Japanese names ending in -ko are girl's names :) ) so since he's already pretty emasculated, you don't want to give him an even bigger complex! ;):rofl

Ryukin Girl....Kazue thanks you for salvaging the little dignity and masculinity he has left. ;)

I can't wait until he gets a chance to be healthy and grow up -- I think he still has a lot of "blossoming" to do!

EDIT: Darn!! I just realized that Kazue was on the list I made of female names I liked as well as Haruko (must've gotten them mixed up with male names somehow.) Oh well...maybe I will try to find another. I really liked that one though.

Shellbell4ever....thank you! I am a very proud mama. :D

I don't really think his tininess comes through in the pics...his whole body is about the size of half of one of my butterflies tails! That rock in the pic with the plants on it in his tank is about the size of my hand. He is so itty bitty. He is coming out of his shell now, and greets me whenever I come to the tank. I feed him soaked tropical micro pellets for now (had a free sample and he LOVES them) with a pipette and he rushes it whenever I stick it in the tank. I really, really like him and his personality....he is a mellow, harmonious little guy (Kazue fits him quite well.)

I tend to get out of hand with bettas, and I already feel the urge to get another...they are just such cool, relaxing, interactive little things. I really, REALLY can't take on another tank now though with all those goldie fry so I won't...I hope!!

Edited by Badfish

So my too-good-to-be-true Eclipse 3 gallon tank was just that....too good to be true!

It seems the filter stopped working today?

Not sure if I am doing something wrong (have no experience with these but I didn't do anything different than yesterday and it was working fine until the water change today.) Now when I plug it in, it makes noise but does not operate.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Actually just found a 5 gallon hex Eclipse on Craigslist, if still available I am going to pick up tomorrow. Hopefully will have better luck with that one! Plus, it will be the size I really wanted. :D

Not too bummed about the 3 gallon actually, I can still use it, just won't be able to cycle it if I can't get it to work (light still works and everything.) I really want a cycled betta tank (not really too into 100% changes at the moment), but it will be good just to have it lying around.

Thanks! :D

I'm not too experienced with problems on the Eclipse three, mine been in perfect working order (so far, knock on wood), but the filter does not work if the tank is not filled up high enough, but I'm sure that can't be your problem, I'm sorry it doesn't seem to be working. Do you also have all the parts needed? You're aren't missing the impeller or anything, or perhaps something got knocked out place?

Good luck on the hex, hun, those normally have good ratings on them, but I've heard of a few manufacturing problems now and then. Amen on the 100 percent water changes, been there done that.

Guess what? My dad stopped by today (he's a Mr. Fix-it type) and he took my filter for the day....and fixed it! WahoO! :D

That other 5 gallon hex is already spoken for (if the guy doesn't pick it up today it's mine, but I have a feeling he is gonna get it!) so it's reeeeally a good thing my dad fixed the filter for the 3 gallon (no 100% water changes once it's cycled...very good news!) :)

I have no idea what he did or what was wrong with it, but the important part is, it's working now.

Thanks!! :D

Awesome! Isn't it great to have a dad like that? At least you have the Eclipse 3 up and running again. Maybe you get your hands on the hex as well, muahahhaa :lol2

Well, I'm still going to do 100 percent water changes, I'm just sick of washing out betta bowls every 2 days!

Awesome! Isn't it great to have a dad like that? At least you have the Eclipse 3 up and running again. Maybe you get your hands on the hex as well, muahahhaa :lol2

Well, I'm still going to do 100 percent water changes, I'm just sick of washing out betta bowls every 2 days!

How many do you have Madame?

Hehe, you know I am still hoping for that hex! It's even better this way because I will have 2 with working filters then... :bingo:

I used to have quite a few bettas in unfiltered 2-3 gallon bowls and it was a lot of work with water changes. With the goldie tank (especially a 40 gallon one that has the two most amorous goldfish ever, and therefore needs huge water changes constantly!)...I just don't want to overwhelm myself with tanks that need too much maintenance. (We'll see how long that lasts...I have been staying away from the pet store because if I go in there, I am going to check out the bettas...and the inevitable is going to happen! :newfish (I am just so smitten with my new little betta guy! He's SO smart and not shy at all anymore and has so much personality...I :heart him!)

Edited by Badfish

Yes they do Kukana!! My goldies (who I love to death) don't have the best eyesight...and they are friendly...but the betta is so entertaining and interactive! He gets all excited when he sees me and dances and flares and does flips... :rofl He VERY clearly tells me to feed him by looking at me, then looking at the place on the rock where I put his food, looking back at me, etc. It's so funny!

I feed him with a pipette and as soon as it hits the water he starts attacking and dive-bombing it! So much enthusiasm! I am just so smitten with him...he's quite a little character. :heart

Devilduck, sure, I will send him over! :D He is so handy, it's amazing because he can fix pretty much anything. He's stubborn too and won't give up when something's not working -- he gets really determined!

Bad news though....I almost had a boiled betta today!!! :o:krazy::doh11:

When I went to feed him, I put the pipette in the water, and my fingers felt the water temp.....it was SO hot! I took the thermometer from the goldies tank and stuck it on the side...the highest it goes is 88 degrees and that's where it was!!!

The light (fluorescent) had been off all night, the only thing running was the filter. (Goldie tank has a heater, and was only reading 78 degrees F, so it wasn't the room temp or anything..though it would have to be REALLY hot to get that high!) I quickly unplugged the filter and did a PWC, slowly adding slightly cooler water so not to shock or stress him. Thank goodness I noticed and also that it didn't get any hotter!

I think the filter is just maybe wanting to be retired. I know I am going to be too scared to leave it running without watching the temp constantly....darn!! :unsure:

Anyone else have their Eclipse's run hot?