::ouch!:: Bitten By The Betta Bug =]

Badfish

Apparently I've been bitten by the betta bug that's been going around here!

I went to Pet$mart to pick up water conditioner and a little crowntail caught my eye. I couldn't resist...I used to have bettas and I really enjoy them, so the little guy came home with me. :)

He is in just a small bowl for now, but I am looking to get an Eclipse system for him (5 gallons.) Is that filter too strong for a betta, in anyones experience? Are they generally good tanks for bettas?

Thanks!! :D

Aw,he's pretty,Constance :heart I have 3 of those Hex 5s,and another on the way(she couldn't POSSIBLY be looking at another Betta!),and they are great for my Bettas! IF you keep the water level to the VERY top,there is hardly any current at all-the filter is super mild. And just be sure to have a hidey hole for him :exactly

Thanks kukana!! Eclipse 5 it is. :D I will make sure to have a little cave for him too!

You have some of the most stunning bettas I have EVER seen in my life! :heart It seems like you give them an ideal life, so you should definitely get as many as you want! :)

OH Constance he is real cute! looks a bit like my Mr.Chow - but mine has light blue eyes. REAL cool! can't wait to see the tank you get him! my brother/mother have one of the eclipse tanks for their betta too - they really like it.

Hey Constance,I'm not sure there isn't a difference between a Hex 5 and an eclipse 5-mine is the Hex. It was right around $50.00,if that helps.I've seen them anywhere from $49.00-$59.00,the latter at Pet*co,even more than my usually higher priced lfs. The best price was at Pet$mart. Here is a pic of 1 of mine:

20100331_0731.jpg

OH Constance he is real cute! looks a bit like my Mr.Chow - but mine has light blue eyes. REAL cool! can't wait to see the tank you get him! my brother/mother have one of the eclipse tanks for their betta too - they really like it.

Thanks!! Yes he's a cutie, and does resemble Mr. Chow! He has that iridescence too...hopefully when he's full grown he will be half as beautiful as Mr.Chow ;)

Thanks Kukana, yup I am actually looking at both the regular and the Hex (looks like it will just depend on where I plan to put it.) There is actually a 3 gallon for sale very cheap on Craigslist...would that be too small? I want there to be plenty of room...that 3 gallon is a steal if it will be big enough!

Is it possible to cycle 3 gallons? I read that you can do 5 gallons quite successfully...and I really want to be able to cycle his tank. Can this be done easily enough with 3?

I would guess you could cycle anything?

Mr.CHow is in a large bowl for now with no filter - and he seems quite happy and active. and my mom isn't into the cycling - she has no clue about that - so she just cleans out the tank completely 1-2x a week.

I think you can cycle 3 gallons, you'll just have to watch the parameters, it doesn't take much to swing it, it's harder to keep the cycle stable but I don't see why you can't. I manage to have my filter cycle enough to keep up with 2 goldies in a 4 gallon before so 1 betta in a 3 gallon shouldn't be a problem. I keep mine in a 4 gallon without a filter and he's happy.

Your betta's gorgeous! And I hadn't really thought about it but there does seem to be an influx of bettas going round at the moment...I nearly bought another red veiltail with some great finnage the other day but my spare tanks are now a puffer tank and a snail jail and I can't afford another...

Looking forward to seeing your baby grow :) He looks like quite a young fish to me but he's already got some great finnage!

I am really hoping to seed the new tank and have it cycle pretty easily...I am thinking the betta will be less messy than the goldies, so some media from the well established goldie tank should be able to handle a betta pretty easily? I seeded my 10-ish gallon fry tank and it was fully cycled in a couple of days...gotta love that!! :D

He is so small devilduck!! Probably the size of my pinky, including fins! It looks like he may develop some darker colors in his fins too, should be exciting to see what he turns into! I've never had such a tiny young betta before.

If that 3 gallon is still available, I may have to consider it (they are only asking $10 and it looks to be in PERFECT shape!) I don't have a ton of extra cash at the moment, so that could even just make due for the time being. If not, I am going to buy a brand new 5 gallon...which is what I want ultimately! :exactly

That would be hard to pass up,Constance! Go for it,just for now :exactly

They haven't written back yet so it may be a no-go on the 3g! 5 gallon would come sooner or later so it's all good! :rockon

The betta guy is changing colors a bit! His fins are getting blue tips and what looks like might be a black stripe? Guess he was faded due to stress? Should be interesting to see what happens with him :theater:

They do fade, my bro's crowntail is a gorgeous dark blue and red but we bought him home and lifted the fish bag out the paper bag to show my mum and he'd faded to this almost skin-tone beige. Steven was so worried and panicky and my mum was like 'what did you get one that colour for?!' but as soon as we put the bag in the tank to float he settled right in and got his colours back in about 5 minutes :) I was surprised his 'base' colour was so different, my red betta just fades a bit and get some pink outlines to his top scales when he's stressed (he doesn't really like being taken out the tank for water changes).

I had asked the question on a successful cycle in a 3 gallon before, and it is plausible, but there is a smaller margin of water quality control with smaller set ups. I do two water changes a week in my three gallon because I don't have a testing kit currently. The current is a bit stronger in there, so I did modify the current but putting in a drinking glass, large silk plant, small bowl vase, and a sponge around the filter input tube.

However, I had a friend with the 5 gallon hex who's betta handled the current very well, it appears to be more mild, indeed.

Betta's do fade color when stressed, my dark blue betta turns to an almost mustard gas when very stressed or frightened, and his lateral line shows.

Oh, what nice crowntail, I'd like one with that particular shade, lighter colors just look so cute! Congratulations hun! I'm sure you can make him happy in either set up.

Good news! I managed to snag that very inexpensive 3 gallon Eclipse system from Craigslist!

Here are a couple pics of him checkin out the new digs soon after I added him. In a couple pics you can see the darkness on his fins that was not there before...almost looks like a faded black in spots, and blue on the tips. I'm wondering if that will darken as he gets older? (I checked and he is actually not even as big as my pinky, including fins.....he's such a little guy!) You don't think the blackness could be ammonia related, right?

He seems pretty happy in the 3 gallon, though he is VERY confused at the water flow (don't think he's ever experienced that before.) The first time it swooshed him he did a confusion-flare! He's a pretty mellow guy, a little shy at first. I am thinking of naming him Kazue (which means "harmonious") or Haruko (which means "spring child")...they both seem to fit him well!

Here's the pics of him and his new home:

0523002350.jpg

0524000000.jpg

0524000033.jpg

He's even more gorgeous with the lights on! Got this irridescent blue faerie wings thing going on (very manly :P ). If the black bits do turn out to be ammonia burn it's because of previous exposure in the pet store, so not your fault and will heal up, but I don't think ammonia burn fades when stressed so it's more likely to just be his natural colouring :)

Oh, he looks so beautiful with those lights on, and the set up looks very pretty! It suits him I think! Going to totally agree with devilduck, looks like he has fairy wings. I'm loving the plants!

:rofl to his "manly" iridescent fairy wings!!! :rofl

You guys just made me feel really good..thank you! I am glad you think he looks happy... :D I have a little confession to make, I drove over 45 mins each way to get that tank...but I am really glad I did! I really wanted him to be able to spread his cute little fairy wings and be comfy. :D