Sign in to follow this  
Hikaru

Black "mold" In My Fishless Cycle Tank

So I set up a fish-less cycle on May 17, put about 3.5 to 4 ppm ammonia in there, the heater's up to about 80-ish F in there, got the bubble rod all set up, turned on the brand new Penguin 200, and went about just waiting like I'm supposed to. (It's a 20 US gallon tank)

I also have 1/2 teaspoon's worth of Buff-It-Up in there, since our tap water has a KH of like....zero, and it had been crashing from 7.8 to below 6.0 in the tank with fish in it (Finally stopped now that I have the Buff-It-Up. Whew! My fish are troopers :blink: )

Today I noticed black, dirt-like circles on the bottom and around the bottom edges. I'd have just thought it was dirt or dust from the air or somewhere if the window wasn't so moldy and horrible.

The stuff in the tank looks suspiciously like the mold on the window. Argh. :krazy:

Should I empty it all out, sanitize, and start the cycle over farther away from the windowsill? I don't want something dangerous in there...

Also, if I do have to empty it out, is vinegar enough to sanitize something like scary...black...mold stuff?

Here's some pictures I took. Sorry, I had to take them at night, so they're not....great at all :unsure:

The tank black stuff:

Moldishthing1.jpg

Moldything2.jpg

Compared to the windowsill mold:

WindowsillMold.jpg

Also, I'm a little confused... The tank has a lot of ammonia in it! That's used to clean and disinfect things, normally. Why is there mold growing in it? :blink:

Is it definately black and not brown or green?

I am not really sure what that is. :hmm Did you put a new filter cartridge in without rinsing it? Could be some carbon dust.

You should really clean off that window mold regardless with a bleach solution, black mold is really unhealthy for humans.

Strange thing is it looks like marks from the Marbles?

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, it is definitely black and not brown or green or any color...

Now that you bring it up, I did put a new filter cartridge in there without rinsing it... :blink: So that might be it, actually. But I'm still worried, since it looks -exactly- like the stuff on the window...I don't want to take any chances, y'know?

It looks like it's from the marbles because I only noticed it after adding a little more water to the tank (Some had evaporated, and the filter was getting really noisy...it's in my room where I have to sleep, so I added more water to quiet it down, and it moved some of the marbles) I think it just mostly collected around the marbles, and along the edges of the tank.

I suggest you seriously clean the mold on the window! That is bad for you and any pets you have around! I know it's nasty, but it really needs to be cleaned. Just wear gloves or something.