Fasting Method

shellbell4ever

I usually fast my fish one day a week followed by full day of peas,before a large water change...Usually followed by lot's of green poops :) But I have been wondering if that's enough?Should I fast longer?Or feed more pea's?How do you do it??

Hi Shell, I fast both my goldfish and my tropicals one full day per week which most recommend. I feed peas about once a week and feed all my fish once a day and on the weekends when I'm home I feed very lightly two times per day.

-Dennis

I do the same as you Shellbell. :) Except I sometimes give peas during the week if I notice my black moor has the floaties. :rolleyes:

Yep! Pretty much same method here except for the water change part.

Since I have so many tanks I just stick to a main water change schedule.. All of my tanks have #'s so my plan is:

Sat Tank 11 and Tank 6 -Chase (who gets a daily water change)

Sun Tanks 14, 4, 7 and Chase

Mon Tanks 8, 12, 2 and Chase

Tue Tanks 10, 5, 9 and Chase

Then of course, Wed, Thur And Fri I still have Chase but no other tanks.

I stick to this schedule as best I can for the water changes.. Seems like something always throws it off and I end up pushing things back a day but never more than that.

Then as for food, I usually fast the fish on Tuesdays. Wed I give the fish peas only. Then the rest of the week I alternate mainly between Saki Hikari, Krill, Bloodworms and baby shrimp. Occasionally I throw something else in the mix. Or do an extra day of peas.. Or if I have an extremely busy day and am not home I may do an extra fast day. But typically I try to stick to that schedule..

I used to include Spirulina Flakes in the mix, but for some reason THOSE make my fish floaty! Which is odd, because they are supposed to be good to CURE the floaties! But not my fish. They make my fish float even more so than pellets! So odd!!!

So eventually I just had to forget those...

My fish have a lot of floaty issues which I believe is due to internal parasites that caused a lot of permanent damage. So there are times when my fish get EXTRA floaty and I do an extended fast of 2-3 days in a row followed by peas..

I used to include Spirulina Flakes in the mix, but for some reason THOSE make my fish floaty! Which is odd, because they are supposed to be good to CURE the floaties! But not my fish. They make my fish float even more so than pellets! So odd!!!

I have the same problem Sue. All my goldies float with the spirulina even the common who just shouldn't float with his shape. :rofl