Lonely Neurotic Ranchu

Guest Celina

Guest Celina

My male and female Ranchu were in a 20 gal QT tank for about a month together. I had just bought them. Then I took mama Ranchu out and put her in the big tank leaving the male by himself in the 20 gal.

That male fish swam in the same corner for days after I took her out! I mean he would put his nose on the glass and move his tail fin like there was no tomorrow. Like he was trying to push the glass out! He never did this while he had company in there! He would stop to eat and swim a lil bit then right back to that corner trying with all his fishy might to go somewhere.

Well I decided to put mama Ranchu back in the 20 gallon and put the male in the 55 gal (I have a male Oranda who wouldn't leave mama Ranchu alone in the 55 gal)

He's fine now! No more neurotic swimming! He has 4 friends to chill with :)

I also put a small goldie in with mama so she didn't get lonely in the 20gal

Is it me or are some of these fish just that social?!

I JUST had this same thing happen! I lost 2 big ranchu,leaving only 1 sm babe in that tank,and he stayed in the corner,flapping his little fins for 4 days :krazy: He actually came away from the corner today,but I just moved him into another qt w/ another fish :bingo: It's like they get really,really scared when they're all alone. Is yours a small fish too? Mine is in the 3" range.

Guest Celina

I JUST had this same thing happen! I lost 2 big ranchu,leaving only 1 sm babe in that tank,and he stayed in the corner,flapping his little fins for 4 days :krazy: He actually came away from the corner today,but I just moved him into another qt w/ another fish :bingo: It's like they get really,really scared when they're all alone. Is yours a small fish too? Mine is in the 3" range.

How odd! :blink:

The male is 4 plus inches.

How funny, poor lonely guy! :P

I remember when I was a kid, we had one "feeder" goldfish that had been by itself for years, so we decided to get it a friend one day. We put the fishy friend (A comet) in quarantine in a little tank next to the feeder's, and the next morning we woke up to find both fish in the main tank! :rofl

I thought my mom had done it, and she'd thought I did it, but it turned out that the new fish really wanted to be with his friend RIGHT NOW and leapt into the other fish's tank in the night (Neither had lids since we'd never ever had problems with fish jumping out and getting hurt). He was instant best friends with the little feeder and never jumped anywhere again after that.

They really do get lonely :D

My guys are very tight-knit. Marty is in QT at the moment and I have to leave his tank up against one side of the big tank so they can all see each other.

FyshLyps and Podge now sleep up against the glass with Marty sleeping on the closest side of the QT... so cute :heart