My New Dwarf Puffers

Anyone know if these puffers actually blow up like a saltwater pufferfish would? (I've only had experience with wild caught salt water puffers)

They do! But it's typically a fear response, so it's not a great thing when they do puff. I haven't personally seen any puffing yet. Apparently these little guys turn into perfectly round balls when they puff, then deflate within 10-15 seconds.

You can't net these guys or pick them up and remove them from the water -- if they puff outside the tank from stress, they can inflate with air instead of water, and sometimes they can't release the air later and it causes tons of problems for them.

I'm really enjoying learning about a new type of fish, can you tell? rolleyes.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are SOOOO cute! Darn I only have a spare 10 gal tank extra right now or I would look for a few little Puffers!!

I LOVE your pirate theme! (I think the lil' mermaids maybe need to go to another tank though.) They puffers & pirates are just too Aarrrr, Aarrrr for mermaids!! LOL!!!!

I am definately going to study about these guys. I think I'll have some later on!!! I am curious how you clean their tank (& how often)? Is there a danger(?) of them puffing up when you clean & stuff? How do you keep them from puffing?

((PS........M o r e P i c t u r e s!!!))

Edited by Jeana727

They are SOOOO cute! Darn I only have a spare 10 gal tank extra right now or I would look for a few little Puffers!!

Unless you're keeping it on hand as a spare QT tank, that 10 gallon would make an absolutely lovely home for 2 or 3 dwarf puffers. I'm just sayin'...

I LOVE your pirate theme! (I think the lil' mermaids maybe need to go to another tank though.) They puffers & pirates are just too Aarrrr, Aarrrr for mermaids!! LOL!!!!

Thanks! I totally agree -- when I cleaned their tank last night I yanked the mermaids out. Now it's a badass tank for badass fish, LOL! I still can't get over the fact that you're SUPPOSED to decorate heavily for dwarf puffers. It goes against all my goldfish instincts.

I am definately going to study about these guys. I think I'll have some later on!!! I am curious how you clean their tank (& how often)? Is there a danger(?) of them puffing up when you clean & stuff? How do you keep them from puffing?

I've been doing the tank cleaning recommended by the folks on the dwarfpuffers.com forum -- 50% water change weekly with thorough gravel vacuuming. (I tend to do more than 50%, just like with my goldfish, because I like to make sure I get that gravel reeeaaaallllly clean.) In so many ways, their care is just like goldfish. They like it a few degrees warmer than goldies, but other than that, it's identical -- tons of filtration (10x is recommended), a variety of foods (although they're carnivores and won't eat pellets or flakes of any kind), and clean water is about all you need.

They haven't puffed while I'm cleaning and apparently don't typically do that -- they're unbelievably friendly, just like goldfish, and it's tough to get them to stop swarming around the gravel vacuum and my hands when I'm cleaning. They also come right up to the front of the tank if you're just looking at them, begging for food. I've read that it usually takes aggression from another puffer to bring about the fear/puff response, and even then it's pretty rare.

You should definitely check these guys out, Jeana -- they're a hoot and a half, and their care isn't complicated at all! And they're terrific for those small tanks that just wouldn't be suitable for goldfish...

Edited by RanchuDressing

I love seeing all of yall getting into dwarf puffers! I have 2 and i adore them. from them that got me into planted tanks and bigger puffers. I now have 3 puffer tanks :) One dwarf, one Green Spot and one turgidus :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ahmedhusseinak

Actually, dwarf puffers are strictly freshwater. A lot of the other puffers, though (Green Spotted, Figure 8, etc.) are brackish -- the GSP even goes full marine as an adult. The joy about the dwarfs is that they're freshwater, so just as easy to keep as goldfish.

They are easier to keep than goldfish, and this lil thugs are so smart that they can recognise their owners....they live around 10 years or more in tanks...=)..well, thats what i researched...

Guest ahmedhusseinak

These little guys have so much personality, just so sweet, I love the way their eyes move lol :D

:Congrats:

watch from 2:00 to 2:05

like chameleon lol..

Edited by ahmedhusseinak

Guest ahmedhusseinak

:o That video was disturbing! I don't think I could ever have dwarf puffers...

lol, u found that disturbing and u have telescopes? the dwarf puffers are like movie stars..reminds me of nemo...

What is wrong with telescopes? :(

No, I just meant it was disturbing the way it was eating those snails. I felt bad for them. I understand they need snails in their diet, but I just wouldn't like to be the one to feed it.

I have a tank of tadpole snails I'm breeding for our puffer Sakura, and we never actually see him eat them but they don't last long. We get them from the plant tanks at our local chain store, they're a pest snail - people don't want them on their plants, and they get thrown out or fed to fish anyway, so they might as well go to our puffer. We always add them a few at a time so it's not like 'you will eat this one now', Stu doesn't like the idea of 'murdering' a snail either. It's not that different to be honest to feeding live bloodworms or brine shrimp, even frozen bloodworms were probably frozen alive as when they're dead they lose their colour and go white. Not really very nice when you think about it...

Guess you shouldn't get into carnivorous fish ;) I wouldn't like to feed fish to another fish, and apple snails are a bit too charasmatic (and expensive) for me to go using them as food, but I don't mind using pest critters like mosquito larvae etc when you can't tell one from the other. It's the ciiiiiircle of liiiiiiife :)

Yeah I know most of them are pest snails. But one of them in that video looks like a trapdoor/apple snail! It's just sad to watch, but it is life I guess. I have actually fed those pest snails to my goldfish before (I don't anymore), but for some reason it didn't bother me. It seems less gruesome when the goldfish eat them.

What's the deal with people feeding their puffers tadpoles, is that common? I saw it on a youtube video and it just seems wrong to me... with most frog species either extinct or endangered these days. And this particular person caught them from the wild too! For shame!!

I've never seen that happen...and it's not something I will be doing myself! Our little guy will have to be happy with his snails and frozen bugs! For a start, getting them from the wild you don't know what they'll do to your fish, and I like frogs! Some people just have this weird thing about liking to see other animals eaten, it makes them feel hardcore or something. I like to watch Stu's puffer eating the frozen bloodworms, but I also like to watch my bettas snapping up their pellets so that's pretty much the same thing. They don't wiggle...

Sorry RD, degenerated into puffer eating habits :P What are you feeding yours?! (Say tadpoles and Sakura will kill you!)

Guest ahmedhusseinak

No, I just meant it was disturbing the way it was eating those snails. I felt bad for them. I understand they need snails in their diet, but I just wouldn't like to be the one to feed it.

lol..because telescopse have somewhat similar eyes like puffers..only thing is dwarf puffer eyes are more cuter. well, its only a snail....u havent seen what ppl feed to piranhas...u'll faint...lol..

Some people just have this weird thing about liking to see other animals eaten, it makes them feel hardcore or something.

That is so true! I think too many people buy oscars just for that reason- they think it's cool to feed it live fish or something. Thankfully nobody here of course :)

lol..because telescopse have somewhat similar eyes like puffers..only thing is dwarf puffer eyes are more cuter. well, its only a snail....u havent seen what ppl feed to piranhas...u'll faint...lol..

Haha! Oh come now, we all know nothing is cuter than a telescope goldfish! ;):D

Guest ahmedhusseinak
Some people just have this weird thing about liking to see other animals eaten, it makes them feel hardcore or something.

That is so true! I think too many people buy oscars just for that reason- they think it's cool to feed it live fish or something. Thankfully nobody here of course :)

well, here is something which will sooth your heart about Oscars Sakura...

Guest ahmedhusseinak

Haha! Oh come now, we all know nothing is cuter than a telescope goldfish! ;):D

true..true..cute as in ugly but adorable...=p

More oscar talk in a puffer thread? :rofl

Don't worry guys, I won't be feeding my guy live fish. If he can thrive without it I don't see why I would feel the need to do that. :yeah:

But back to what I meant to say, those little guys are one word... ADORABLE. ;)