New Planted Shrimp Bowl

So... I went to the store with the sole intention of buying 2 compact fluorescent bulbs... And... I... got a fish bowl D:

marimo8.jpg

There are 3 ghost shrimps in the tank! Here's one of them...

marimo5.jpg

I pilfered the plants from my other tanks (yes, including that very tiny pinch of moss tied on a rock) and bought a marimo while I was at it...

Marsilea fourleaf clovers? Nice! You really do need to trim away those clover-leaves down to 1cm of stem to encourage them to grow underwater though. The terrestrial leaves only tend to rot underwater and steal precious nutrients from the root in the process. When they are stimulated into germinating new leaves, they are much more compact and smaller single-leaf versions that eventually spread to become a dense carpet-like growth.

http://www.tropica.dk/article.asp?id=630&type=aquaristic

There's tons of forums out there that describe in detail how to do that. I haven't tried it myself as Marsilea is unavailable in local pet stores here.

Oliver Knott usually just trims the stems down to maybe a couple centimeters after planting and the results are usually phenomenal. Marsilea is also generally regarded as the easiest to maintain among the carpet-forming plants as it doesn't need intense lighting or high CO2 supplementation to thrive.

More pics to tantalize you:

http://www.google.com.ph/imgres?imgurl=http://ct3.pbase.com/v3/11/259611/4/50074310.BTankStgt300918.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pbase.com/plantella/bigstgt&h=107&w=160&sz=6&tbnid=xWDfP_s_HHf8FM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmarsilea%2Bhirsuta&hl=tl&usg=__dXVu8HPSL1-zInnkhQ3okMS_m68=&ei=auH1S-P-KJGEswOlir2IBQ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&ved=0CB8Q9QEwAw

*gulp*

Now that's an eye opener O_O

I've never thought much about my plants before (even this clover bunch was handed to me by the local aquarium owner because I go there often), but I definitely need to look into trimming these properly.

Thank you!

Oh! It has a name! Well, I suppose it is a Walstad bowl ^^ *just googled*

I saw a blog that has some information on setting up a planted bowl like this, but she is using it for a betta.

I hope the plants will grow nice and healthy! I'm still unsure about removing the filter at this point, but maybe sometime after I get more plant growth...

I'm also tempted to add some duckweed on the top in future. Not sure if it's a good idea or not, but it's visually appealing.

Frogbit would be more suitable than duckweed. It looks like a miniature water lily and isn't as aggressive in multiplying. Duckweed tends to inhibit gas exchange at the water surface when it covers it completely and end up depleting the oxygen content of the water.

Oh geez I didn't even notice there was a filter in there! Good job concealing it I guess! :rofl

Or water lettuce. Isn't that a floating plant too? I think it's really pretty.

Hahahhaa yeah the clovers were covering the filter. Now that they're trimmed, though, I can see my filter :(

I wonder if the floating plants will make my marsilea sad...

Shrimps seemed to be eating the brownish parts on my marimo. The ball looks neat and groomed now! Hahaha...

My co-workers got bitten by the shrimp bowl bug! Hahaha... I have an unused 1/2 gallon cube that was meant to be Coffee's home pre-5 his current 5 gallon tank. I'm going to try planting stuff in it next week :"D

Wonder if the LFS has a bit of frogbit to spare...

That was very informative... I saved it for future reference ;) I think I like the 2 2gallon carpeted tank idea :) I'm a bit scared by the soil/sand planted tank idea but to try it on a small scale would be fun :)Not to mention how much I love the little shrimps :)

I think your's looks fantastic :)keep us up to date on yours :)

• 2 weeks later...

Small update! The trimmed marsilea is starting to grow :")

Unfortunately, I didn't add Amquel+ early enough, so I lost 2 shrimps from nitrate/ite explosion. I only have 1 shrimp left, and he molted yesterday! I'm keeping the filter in for the time being since the bowl is still getting dosed with Amquel+.

Nitrate/ite and ammonia levels are in check now, phew!

marimo9.jpg

Here's the remaining shrimpie...

marimo10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks really great! I love to see the progress it's made! I think as soon as I get out of school, I am going to set up a little bowl with shrimpies! :)

My first attempt at a El Natural tank with soil was a bowl. I loved it. But hard to work on the plants so after 8 months shut it down and went bigger.

Never had any luck with shimps they always die off. But sure would like to try them again in my 6 gallon el natural with soil.

Yours looks great.

^Might as well splurge just a little bit more and get cherry shrimp this time rather than ghost shrimp to enjoy success. Cherries have gone down considerably in price in recent years because they breed like rats and are typically available in better health from being kept in ideal tank conditions as compared to wild-harvested ghosties, thus being a heck of a lot hardier.

I have some cherries in my betta tank right now. I love watching them scurry around! And I'm really lucky that my betta hasn't made a snack out of them.

You're right, Man Yu, about the price. When I first looked into them about two years ago, they were around $4-$5 each. :o But these guys I got for $2. That's a significant improvement! :)

• 2 months later...

Hiya

I have always really like your bowl since I saw it a while ago and the idea just stuck... can you go through everything you did to set it up? It seems like a viable option for me to use my old bowl and mini filter for and something a bit different!

Thanks.