Diy Background

Jeana727

I have been reading a few different things on the DIY backgrounds. I like the ones made from styrofoam & then painted to look like stone. I would like some info & helpful hints from those who may have actually done this. I have an extra 10 gallon tank & thought I might "experiment" with it first, then maybe my 29 gallon (If the 10 works out okay) THEN (if I am confident by then....maybe the 90 gallon tank!!).

I am curious as to whether "gunk" builds up behind them. Is there a way to make them kind of in pieces to be "removable"??? for cleaning purposes???? Would that be better???

Any advice is appreciated!! I have thought about giving it a try over the past few months.

I'd really like to hear from someone who actually has done it. As well as ANY do's & don'ts that anyone thinks about these type of projects!

:)

I'd suppose the only gunk that'll build up behind them is a thin biofilm of bacteria. Which is why some users of 3D backgrounds use them in conjunction with an undergravel filter plate so as to avoid the development of anaerobic conditions behind the background, or alternatively, build backgrounds with compartment allowance for the placement (and concealment) of a power filter behind the background.

Hhhmmmm, I am still unclear if this is really SAFE over the long term for the fish? I would, of course, have space for the filter intakes but am trying to figure THE BEST application. Some are actually glued to the tank & that just doesn't feel right to me. I am kinda thinking if you made them in say four or five pieces and attached them to the tank with suction cups (or something) then you could take them out to clean behind. If they were made in pieces placed together like a puzzle it could still look like one solid rock wall. What do ya'll think?

Sounds like it would work logistically. I guess you'd have to make sure that the styrofoam and paint are aquarium safe. Not totally sure how you would do that, maybe call the manufacturer and see what it's made of. I'd think you'd have to clean behind the background thing very often, like once a week maybe? Also could you make it so that it somehow has some water circulation behind the background? Maybe leave enough room between the background and back wall to fit a bubble wand or something? I just think this would limit the chance of bad bacteria and stuff building up.

Just some thoughts I had, but honestly I don't know too much about this kind of stuff. :idont

My husband built a rock wall in his saltwater tank. He attached it to the tank with a ridiculous amount of silicone (5 tubes for 90g tank), and clamped it and weighed it down. Certainly, I am sure there is some water that seaks behind it, but not enough that it has caused any problems. For Glue, he used a product called "Great stuff" which we found at our Home Depot. It is a spray can (red can, yellow top) intended for draft control and sealing windows and what not. It has been unofficially tested by my Local Aquarium group on numerous tank builds and found to be aquarium safe. Here is the link to his post where he talks all about it. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/79528-foam-rock-wall-how-to-lots-of-pics/

Oh I like that one! I sent the link to my hubby. We may "try it" on my little 10 gal tank, and see how it does. If it works out I may have the world's coolest Betta tank!!!