I Found A Single Little Fry! Now What?

Halibut

Right after the feeding frenzy this morning i just happened to notice something dart back in under the driftwood. (I have a barebottom save for a few anubias on a pretty good sized piece of driftwood.) After a few minutes of really careful looking i noticed it was a tiny little fry! I knew i had eggs last week, and that some were fertilized, but i thought they all got eaten they disappeared so quickly.

After freaking out about him getting eaten while i just sat there watching him i reached in and scooped him up into a cup of tank water that i put some Riccia in. I rushed to the LFS and got a breeding/fry basket thing and found some hikari first bites.

He/she is now swimming around in the basket at the top of the tank :)

What now? I've never had fry before...

Yay!! Someone else with fry! :D

I would be careful about the breeding box -- I had a few fry in one and they kept getting out (like over and over...I eventually just removed them.) Mine was blue with white netting...if you have this one, just be careful. :)

I am new to fry but I have been feeding every few hours and keeping the water clean....that's about it! My fry love the Hikari First Bites. They get that along with frozen baby brine shrimp.

Good luck with him!!! :D:D:D How big is he? How old did you figure he was?

Well, by looking through Sorsha's fry journal I think he must be about 3-4 days old. How he lasted that long in with the monsters i do not know, but i am glad :D

I have closely examined my breeding box net for holes and since it comes up above the water surface I am hoping for no Houdini moves.

He's so fun. I'll be watching for him and all of a sudden he'll burst out of his Riccia cloud and settle at the bottom. Then zoom! back up!

That is so cool! Miracle fry are my favorite!! :D

Sakura, I don't wake up during the night to feed (if I thought I had to I would, but I really don't think they need it.) I do the last feeding pretty late, close to midnight or so, and then feed them first thing in the morning (around 6 a.m.) It seems like there is food that scatters everywhere that they graze upon 24/7 (I do a thorough vacuum once a day because of this.) At any given time, there are fry munching on something...eating is really all they do! :)

A few have discovered the sponge filter to be a feeding station now... :Scoff: I just can't wait til they get bigger and start to look like genuine fish!

By the way, check your filter for more little miracle babies...I must've found about 10 in the filters alone! Surprising, they were 100% fine and are still doing well!

@ shellbell IT would be pretty impossible to get an actual pic of this guy, sooooooo tiny! but maybe i'll try to get one up soon of the set-up. Then you can all use your imaginations and pretend i have a camera good enough to capture all the little fry-y details :)

@ badfish I have a spongy on my cannister intake. so no chance of more stragglers unfortunately. don't think im not staring at the bottom of the tank every chance i get hoping to catch a glimpse of another one though!

Edited by Halibut

kukana, yours was the little one with the plants in the container? That was one of the most touching goldfish stories ever....and he is SO cute. :heart

Halibut...there's a good chance you could find more! Hope your little guy does great!! :heart

• 6 months later...