Sponge Filter?

Lindsay793

So I know you need a sponge filter for breeding, and my fish still have some aging to do, but for future reference. Can I make my own sponge filter out of a regualr filter? Or is it a whole different set up/way it works that I can't do with a normal filter.

+ If I had eggs in the future, I have bars over the intake, so do you think the eggs would be able to even squish through there?

My sponge filter is completely different than my regular filters. I think it would be impossible to make using another filter....but maybe not impossible if you bought the materials to make a whole new one? They are pretty inexpensive though so it would probably just be easier to buy one.

I have bars over my intake tubes too and yes, the eggs do get sucked up! Fry get sucked up VERY easily as well. Also, the current from the regular filters are WAY too much for the fry. The sponge has little to no current, and the fry seem to even have minor issues with that at times (not enough to not use it, but I do see them getting pulled around sometimes.)

I think mine is called the Hydro-Sponge III from Drs. Foster and Smith and it works pretty well, I would recommend it. They included an air control valve for the air pump so I can turn the air pump's output up and down (you need to purchase a separate air pump to make the filter work.) I do suggest getting one of those little air control valves...my air pump is rated for 20 gallons (which is small) and I usually have to keep it turned down pretty low so the fry can handle it.

Good luck! =]

Oh thanks for the reply. And when they are older I will definetly look into getting one, so I'm all set and ready for eggs ;)

Also, if you are the kind of person who likes to make stuff there are some fairly simple DIY sponge filter ideas out there to think about. Here is a link to one that looks easy and kind of fun to make too. I would use a much closer knit (less holey) sponge but nice and big like this one and cut in a corner shape. Looks good :)

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-filter/19.asp