Sign in to follow this  
shadowbaby25

Tail Still Tearing And Falling Off

aww- my fishes tail is worsening still- how can i tell if its infected? they are definitley not happy- both bottom sitting. but they have had some trauma. bought a huge tank (225L) to replace the small one (60L) and it burst. nightmare. so they're back in the smaller one for now and his tail still keeps tearing and falling off. its getting closer to the body and i'm worried what will happen.

its very red and looks like its bleeding a bit. do fish bleed? would it be hurting him? what can i do?!

ugh, sad and frustrated.

I'm sorry your fish is not getting better, and that the new tank burst. That must have been terrible.

I remembered reading your first thread about this fish so I will include a link to it so that when a mod stops by to help they will have some background info.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/83549-broken-tail-bleeding/

Do you have a test kit to test your water? I'm wondering if the water might be off since they are in such a small tank, that could certainly cause damage, and stop the tail from healing. You should test for ammonia; nitrites; nitrates and also PH. How many wc's are you doing? And how big are the wc's?

In your last thread you mentioned using Melafix did that help at all? Do you see any fungus on the tail or anywhere else on the fish?

When you say it is red does it look like red veins running through its tail? Is there anyway you can get a picture so we could see the damage, that way the mods will be able to diagnose what is wrong.

I know this is a lot of questions but it will save time and help us help you and your fish. :heart

yes i did do water changes very often in the small one- almost 100% but not quite. last time just before I changed (couple of days ago) i did a test and it was the nitrates that were building up too much and the PH was too low so i am using buffer (tiny bit a day) to build up the ph and doing regular wc's for the nitrates- thats why i got the bigger tank too! (Lucky my landlord has insurance is all i have to say- carpets do not like 200+L of water).

the melafix- well it turned out i didn't have any after all so so far haven't put it in- but will buy some more tomorrow when I have time (have spent last couple of days dealing with carpets and insurance and angry housemates :( ) and add that to the tank asap. then i thought i will have to buy yet another new tank and i could maybe use my smaller old one as a hospital tank for him with the melafix when the othe one goes into the new one. would it be better to seperate them to treat him?

I don't see any fungus- it just looks like its all red and it has like globules of red on the bottom near the tear. its not red on the veins though. just like a wound bleeding.

do you know if he would be in any pain? it looks sore.

I am trying desperately to a) get a decent shot- hes hiding and b)work out how to post it to this forum- it has to be a url?? not just a normal image?

yes i did do water changes very often in the small one- almost 100% but not quite. last time just before I changed (couple of days ago) i did a test and it was the nitrates that were building up too much and the PH was too low so i am using buffer (tiny bit a day) to build up the ph and doing regular wc's for the nitrates- thats why i got the bigger tank too! (Lucky my landlord has insurance is all i have to say- carpets do not like 200+L of water).

the melafix- well it turned out i didn't have any after all so so far haven't put it in- but will buy some more tomorrow when I have time (have spent last couple of days dealing with carpets and insurance and angry housemates :( ) and add that to the tank asap. then i thought i will have to buy yet another new tank and i could maybe use my smaller old one as a hospital tank for him with the melafix when the othe one goes into the new one. would it be better to seperate them to treat him?

I don't see any fungus- it just looks like its all red and it has like globules of red on the bottom near the tear. its not red on the veins though. just like a wound bleeding.

do you know if he would be in any pain? it looks sore.

I am trying desperately to a) get a decent shot- hes hiding and b)work out how to post it to this forum- it has to be a url?? not just a normal image?

Yes a tank bursting would certainly make a lot of angry people. :(

He needs really really clean water and the melafix would probably help his tail heal.

If he is still swimming and eating then he is probably not in unbearable pain. :heart

To post pictures you must have a photobucket account. Here's the link:

http://photobucket.com/

Once you have an account you upload your picture to photobucket. Once the picture is uploaded all you need is to copy the IMG code and paste it here in your thread.

I'm sure a mod will be here in the next few hours to recommend something to help you. Hang in there. :)

How is he today? :)

he is ok- bought some brine shrimp with the melafix and he responded very well to food so thats a good sign! and he is swimming around fine :) - tail is still the same but hasn't got too much worse, which is positive- I have put melafix in the tank now so that should be at least soothing for him- and the water is brand new (about 85-90% wc) so v. clean.

also, got my eye on a few tanks but looking into the option of having the broken one fixed too... they are ok in the old one a bit longer i think.

My camera battery has died-i did get a photo but now can't access it! - lost my charger- but one step closer to getting a pic up!

Hi there! You have gotten some great advice from caitie already! But let's see if we can't clear all of this up.

First we need to have ALL your water parameters, like caitie mentioned. Please answer all of the questions at the end of my post. :)

Second, when your camera is done charging can we see a picture? Like caitie said, you need a photobucket account and there are helpful threads in the "how to" section at the top of the forum index that will help you with posting. :)

When dealing with goldfish injuries, especially to the fins, I think the best analogy with regards to pain is our fingernails. Imagine you have bent back your fingernail past the bed, or maybe cut it MUCH too close to the nail bed, or something like that.

It hurts. A lot. But only for a time. While you still have the wound for weeks (or months, maybe) the pain is not unbearable for the whole time. For the first few days you are in pain, and you maybe wrap the finger to keep stress off. But after a few days you only think about it if it receives some big stress (like you hit it, or something).

Goldfish fin injuries are like that, too. For the first few days you might see them bottom sitting, have less interest in food, not very active. It's normal. :)

Yes, fish can feel pain. All animals can. But I think in this case the pain will recede. :)

Ok here is the list of questions I'd like you to answer:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?