salt .02 and reducing with wc's

last wc - 36 hours ago 70%

feeding, once per day and not much about 8 pellets

fish: 1 large telescope butterfly

1 oranda (tiny)

1 fancy medium

2 apple snails

have plants in tank 3

the filter is a Jebo 838 external biochemical 4 ply canaster filter.. specifications is 28W 1200L/H

i have a 2nd filter of the same waiting to be installed with next wc later this week..

i would have thought with perfect water params that there would be no cloudiness, but it keeps coming and staying.. any ideas?

could it be a bacterial bloom do you think? I have never experienced it myself but I know it does sometimes happen in newly cycled tanks!

congratulation for your cycle btw!

• Supporter

many thanks for your reply frederica..

i too am excited that it's cycled.. as for bacteria at the bottom.. i have very little pebbles down there that is just scattered over the glass. ie, just to keep the fish occupied as i know they like to fiddle around.. so there isn't even a real layer there, i can still see the glass in most places..

as a just incase, how can i determine if it is bacteria?

helen

by bacterial bloom i mean in the water - not the gravel. I think its suppose to make the water very cloudy - you can do a water change if you want - but I think that if it actually is a bacterial bloom - its good bacteria - for your cycle. it usually slows down after a while. :mytank1:

Guest Celina

Do you have activated carbon in your filter? That helps keep water clear

Also if you do too much of a water change, wash filter,scrub glass at the same time you can take away too much of the good bacteria and make it cloudy in my experience.

Is it stinkier than normal? (is stinkier a word?)

I've also thought my water was cloudy before to find out I just needed to wash the inside of the glass lol On the other hand you might not be as dumb as me.... :P

• Admin

I would say with the Nitrates being so low right now and the ammonia is low, Its most likely a bacterial bloom hun. May i suggest not to change the water for a week. Keep an eye on the water quality :)

Hi Helen,

Agreed with Koko on the water quality, I would check daily and make sure your water is within the correct parameters. Adding your second filter also will definitely help with the cloudiness provided that you are using charcoal to help filter out impurities. I believe the cloudiness will correct itself with time.

-Dennis

Edited by blackteles

• Supporter

thank you everybody..

celina! :tomuch: (stinkier LOL)- glass is fine hun..

koko & dennis - :heart many thanks :heart .. i will do just that.. but i can't add the 2nd filter until 1/2 the water is out as the tank needs to be moved forward (it's in kinda like a showroom kitchen) if it gets any worse, i will throw it in just the same, but if not, it will wait.. i will check water params every day to be sure.. :thanks

helen

• Supporter

okay.. noticed ammonia spike.. so i emptied the tank 90% and added the new filter.. geez i hope this works.. it took me 4 hours on my own.. 1+1/2 hours just to move it! the two identical filers do not fit properly in the cabinet so one's kinda hanging out at the back.. my issue now is the cabinet that i purchased knowing no better, has the filter door at the back. so if something goes wrong filter wise, i have to empty it all out again just to move the tank forward.. here's to hoping that never happens!

now just refilling, (fish have been seperated) will add all the usual conditioners, salts, etc...

i'm hoping with so much water filtration now, i won't have too many problems :blink:

can someone confirm this is correct?

helen

The extra filter should definitely help IMO. :)

Just wanted to ask you a quick question about cloudiness....the gravel is not new, correct? Just asking because when I first set up my tank I had a HORRIBLE experience with cloudy water, nothing helped....then I figured out it was the gravel making the water cloudy. It was specifically aquarium gravel and everything, and even the littlest bit in my tank made the water terrible....couldn't even see 2 inches into the tank. I switched to some larger rocks at the time instead of gravel and never saw cloudy water again. :)

Of course if you've had the gravel for a period of time with no problems it wouldn't be the cause. Just wanted to let you know my experience just in case! :)

• Supporter

hi constance..

many thanks for your reply :) .. no, unfortunately it's not the gravel :unsure: ... i have a mixture of both gravel and some larger rocks.. the gravel is barely a layer for example, you can still see the glass bottom.. it's just there to keep the fish happy for sucking and spitting.. and it's been around for the best part of a month with 3 wc's..

i think it may have been the lack of water circulating. i calculated to the gram salts, conditioners and so forth.. let's hope it was just the circulation.. the old filter was fully cycled but when i noticed the ammonia today, i got worried so i did a 90% wc so that i can pull the cabinet forward to install the second filter :) ..

the water was cloudy for about 4 days but there was no trace of ammonia prior to today. as koko and frederica mentioned earlier in this post, they believe it may have been good bacteria.. i concur.. i think the ammonia was coincidental :unsure: .. will keep a close eye on it from here and see where this 2nd filter addition takes me..

helen

Okay great, sounds like a plan! :)

Im sure you will get it straightened out in no time...the extra filter will be great, what a difference an extra filter makes! :D