Hagen Aqua Clear Filters

I've been noticing that one of my Aqua Clear 70's keeps pushing up the media tray and lid from the bottom of the filter itself. I've been doing regular cleanings of the foam block however I'm thinking it's time to replace it. This filter and media are about six months old. Seems like I've had to rinse it out at least once a week lately. Anybody else with the Aqua Clears notice the same thing and what do you to correct? I've just reordered two new foam media blocks but I've read where some run them until they actually fall apart. Maybe I'm leaving too much air in the block after rinsing it? I'd like to hear what you do! Overall I have two 70's on my 55 gallon tank and a 50 on my 20 gallon tropical tank, I think they're relatively quiet and for the most part worry free.

-Dennis

• Admin

humm i dont have one, but im thinking maybe if you had a bag with gravel or bio balls on the top part this would have enough weight to hold the sponge filter part down hun...

I my self will, in my Penguins, Let the filter floss (mind you in one filter I just have torn off pieces of filter floss in it, the other has the Cartridge) run until they are so brown even after rinsing them, If they wont go back to off white, i will toss them and get new ones :)

Hiya koko,

I do use the bio bag and also the charcoal filter bags which rest on top of the actual foam block. I would think that the weight of both would hold it down (which normally they do). It seems that I've noticed this happening just recently which is leading me to believe the foam is at it's capacity maybe?

-Dennis

Hey Dennis,I don't have 1 either,but on the filter in my pond-when it starts to float,I have to wash the white pad out. The white pad is never quite the same after that,and I need to replace it after 2 or 3 times.

• Admin

If you have Bio Balls hun, I wouldnt worry to much if you need to replace the sponge part of the filter. I wouldnt rinse any part of the filter and just get a new sponge hun :)

Hey Susan, makes sense. I've had this foam for about six months but I can't see how I can get the block to properly filter until it self destructs....

-Dennis

Sounds good ladies, I'll replace the foam this upcoming weekend once they get here. I'll bet that fixes the problem! Thanks!

-Dennis

If you have two filters - I think benifical bacteria lives in that foam so I would replace one first and then later on change the other. Unless you have plenty of other BB then it might not matter.

I have that problem with my AC as well. Do you have a planted tank? I find that in my planted tank the sponge gets dirty SO fast. It starts to push up after about 5 days.

I have that problem with my AC as well. Do you have a planted tank? I find that in my planted tank the sponge gets dirty SO fast. It starts to push up after about 5 days.

Hi Sarah,

No, mine's not planted yet...but I guess with the bioload after about 6 months the foam would need replaced. Hagen recommends media replacement after one month, but I see it can go longer, my estimate is approximately six months.

-Dennis

If you have two filters - I think benifical bacteria lives in that foam so I would replace one first and then later on change the other. Unless you have plenty of other BB then it might not matter.

Gotcha HC, I'll be replacing only one of the foam blocks as the second filter is only three months old as well as it's foam media. Both filters do have bio bag media but I personally would only change one at a time and then change the second after a period of BB re-establishment.

-Dennis

This is really weird I have Aqua Clears on all my tanks and when that happens all I have to do is rinse the sponge really well. I usually fill up several containers with some tank water and rinse the sponge in each of the containers. Then I squeeze it out really well. My filters have been running for over three years and they all have the original sponges.

That is so weird, hasn't happened to any of my aquaclears yet. I was wondering though Dennis, my filters have those little pokey things on the sides of the basket inside the filter that holds the sponge in place. Doesn't yours have that? It's like a small tab of plastic that sticks out into the sponge block on each end of it, holding it in place. Does it just not hold as well after a certain amount of time or something?

(Sorry, I realize that's not a very good explanation, but I can't think of a better way to say it!) :D

That is so weird, hasn't happened to any of my aquaclears yet. I was wondering though Dennis, my filters have those little pokey things on the sides of the basket inside the filter that holds the sponge in place. Doesn't yours have that? It's like a small tab of plastic that sticks out into the sponge block on each end of it, holding it in place. Does it just not hold as well after a certain amount of time or something?

(Sorry, I realize that's not a very good explanation, but I can't think of a better way to say it!) :D

Hey Sakura, can't answer for Dennis but those little tabs you talk about look like they have been eaten away in mine. I don't know what causes that though. :unsure:

Hi Sakura,

Yes, mine has the tabs in the basket that hold the foam media in place, and the basket then slips down into grooves in the filter body to stabilize all three of the media types. But what happens is that the whole basket itself gets pushed upwards which then forces the lid to raise as well. I think what it comes down to is that the pressure builds when the foam has reached capacity which causes the media basket to move upwards from the bottom. I'm almost certain this is the case, I'll know for sure once I replace it this weekend. Will let you all know! :)

-Dennis

That sounds strange, I have 2 AC110 filtering my tank, I haven't changed the foam pads in years. I rinse them out using tank water every other month. I've had the AC110 (when I bought them they were called 500's) for about 10 years and never had the basket raise up on me. I only use the charcoal if I used medication, then I use it just to remove meds. I have a bag of crushed coral on top of foam to buffer ph and also a bag of biomax on top of that, I don't replace biomax until it falls apart. Good luck, but as long as you rinse the foam (with tank water) you shouldn't have to replace it.

Hi Sakura,

Yes, mine has the tabs in the basket that hold the foam media in place, and the basket then slips down into grooves in the filter body to stabilize all three of the media types. But what happens is that the whole basket itself gets pushed upwards which then forces the lid to raise as well. I think what it comes down to is that the pressure builds when the foam has reached capacity which causes the media basket to move upwards from the bottom. I'm almost certain this is the case, I'll know for sure once I replace it this weekend. Will let you all know! :)

-Dennis

Ah okay, I understand your predicament now Dennis. Man that's no good, I sure hope you can rig something to stop it from doing that. The only thing I can think of at the moment is maybe using aquarium sealant to glue the basket down in the filter box. Only problem is then it would be difficult to clean. Hmm... Well let us know if you figure something out.

You had said you had three filters and only one is doing this? If so I would almost chalk it up to a faulty basket. Perhaps replace it or try that basket in the other filter. If it does the same thing in the other one then just replace the basket.

Hey HC, yes it's my oldest AC filter along with the media as well. Neither of the other two newer AC's are doing this so I'll first try replacing the old foam once I get back on Friday. I'll see if this corrects it first, then I'll look at the actual media basket next. Will keep you guys posted for future reference.

-Dennis

Just wanted to follow up on the old foam block which I replaced on Saturday with a new one. That took care of any issues with the basket being pushed upwards which leads me to believe that the old foam media was finally at the the end of it's capacity. I think it's safe to say that pressure builds underneath the foam as the water flow is decreased due to the reduced porosity of the media, thus causing the media basket to push up. The first foam block lasted about six months before I had to replace it with a new one with regular cleaning in tank water.

-Dennis