Quarantine For Inverts

seheap

Hi guys! I thought I'd ask the experts....

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on how to QT these guys. I have no experience with them, and don't want them to give my betta any problems. I know they are sensitive to salt, but what about prazi? Or is there anything else I can do before I plop them in the tank?

:thanks

I've never really heard that inverts can give anything to fish. I don't know what inverts you want to add but when I buy my shrimps I just add them right in and I've never had a problem. Shrimp can tolerate prazi but they don't do well with it. When I treated my goldies all my shrimp became very inactive and they pretty much hid all the time but only one died out of 7. And if you do prazi use the regimen where you add prazi every 4 days with wc before. The one where you use prazi one day and redose the next day will kill the shrimps. Hope this helps. :)

It did, thanks! I always wait a full week before doing a second dose of prazi. I have never heard of redosing every day. But then again I use the liquid stuff, not the powder, maybe that's it?

I just bought a blue mystery snail and a cherry shrimp. Just one of each to make ure Sir Betta Physch doesn't make a snack out of them! :)

I'll make sure to keep a close eye, thanks, Edith! :)

It did, thanks! I always wait a full week before doing a second dose of prazi. I have never heard of redosing every day. But then again I use the liquid stuff, not the powder, maybe that's it?

I just bought a blue mystery snail and a cherry shrimp. Just one of each to make ure Sir Betta Physch doesn't make a snack out of them! :)

I'll make sure to keep a close eye, thanks, Edith! :)

This is the dosing regimen I meant. It works great on the flukes but it's too rough on the inverts.

Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to tank

Day 2 -- add Prazi

Day 3 -- do nothing

Day 4 -- do nothing

Day 5 -- do nothing

Day 6 -- add Prazi

Day 7 -- add Prazi

Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming

Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 35 - normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

I hope we'll get to see pics of the cherry shrimp and blue mystery snail. If Sir Betta Physch snacks on the cherry shrimp you might want to try an amano shrimp. They are a lot bigger than the cherry shrimp. Mine even bully my fantail Hercules when it's food time. :rofl

Interesting, I've never seen a prazi regimine like that. Prazi is active in the water for 3 days....but that seems like the flukes would be gone in no time!

pictures as soon as I find my camera :oops::)

Check your ammonia with your cherry shrimp, they really don't do well with it, even low levels can be fatal as I understand and small water changes are much much better than big ones. I'd love shrimp in my betta tank but I have 0.25 ppm out the tap and currently do not have a filter in that tank. I think I'd have to use the water out the goldfish tank that's 0,0,0 but that seems a bit silly changing toxic dirty water with less toxic dirty water instead of toxic clean water...

I am really lucky. My water is perfect out of the tap (well, besides the chlorine and all the heavy metals....:glare:) so my shrimpy should be fine.

Though, I am kinda worried....I haven't seen him eat yet. I put him in yesterday and gave them some pellets, and he walked right over them. He also walked right over the bit of blanched peapod that I tried today...

The snaily is eating like a horse, of course! :P

Any suggestions on the shrimp? I am worried he'll die from starvation. Though, I think I read something about them eating leaves? I have a piece of mopani in there....could he be munching on that?

Hey Sarah. I wouldn't worry about your shrimp dying of starvation. I've seen my amano shrimp literally hitch a ride on my fantail's back to get to the gel food faster. :doh11:

He'll be finding something to eat and once he figures out the pellets are food he just might start stealing them from the betta. :)

• 1 month later...

I don't think any parasite that infects the shrimps, will infect the fish badly in any way and health issues with shrimps are often very rare. Of course, there have been reported cases of horsehair worms that infect ghost shrimps. They are internal parasites that feed inside the shrimps. Since shrimps are see through oftentimes, the parasites are easy to spot. As a precaution, destroy shrimps that are infected with horsehair worms.

As for snails, apple snails are tolerant to prazi by 2.5mg per liter dosage. Nerites are a bit more sensitive though. Luckily, the nerites rarely have fluke issues as far as I can see. Wild caught apples may carry flukes from time to time so it's a good idea to quarantine the apples if you are conscious about it.