Sign in to follow this  
shadowbaby25

Broken Tail, Bleeding

Help!, my fishes tail has been damaged and it has torn and the bottom bit has ripped off. Now the rest looks like it will continue to tear and is bleeding. he is in a tank with another boy (both shubunkin goldies) who is slightly bigger - I think the chasing and bullying is the cause- I am looking for a bigger tank right nowas i think it is too small- they have grown so much!- but I know it has to take a while to cycle a new tank before you can put the fish in i think? does anyone know if i can just transfer an already cycled filter to a new tank?

also- any ideas of what I can do to help it in the meantime?

I will try and post a photo of the tail

QT the hurt gf. Make sure he gets clean clean water and try some of that liquid bandage on him. Not sure what it is called just know people here have had luck with it.

Yes you can use your old filter on the new tank to cycle and move them in right away.

Hope he is better soon.

Like Hidr said, you can use a cycled filter to cycle a new tank. I suggest you do that and just do big, frequent water changes for the first while to be safe. I have had fish rip their tails like that before, melafix may help with healing. But you definitely need to do something soon if overcrowding is the case, or it will only keep happening.

Thanks!

I will defo get that bigger tank this weekend lat the atest.

I have got some melafix too- but can i treat the water with the other fish in it as well ? and is it likely his tail will heal fully?

broken tail

Edited by shadowbaby25

ahh! I tried to attach the link but the picture is too tiny to see- i will get a better one tonight and put it on.

You can treat the entire tank with melafix, it won't hurt your other fish.

If it's a large piece of tail it may never grow back. :(

aww :( Poor Baby :( I have a lionhead that I have had for a bit now that is missing his left pectoral fin and so far I haven't seen any change :( So it may take a while, or never be the same again :(

Tails grow back for the most part. Sometimes the new growth may be a different color - usually white.

My black moor lost part of his tail fin...with the rays of the fins affected, it will take longer to heal.