Eggs Round 2!

Badfish

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My little flip video camera will not zoom up very close, so this is the best I could do!

The 3 day olds are LOVING the frozen baby brine shrimp! I don't see any fry-talities just yet...though I thought I saw one that was dying yesterday, today he is nowhere to be found. There is one fry with a HUGE belly...is it possible he could've eaten him??? :blink:

Anyway....they are doing great so far! I am actually thinking of putting the 25(?) 3 day olds in a breeder net in the big tank. The warmer water seems to really make them grow fast! They are so much bigger and more developed than the 2 day olds, I am afraid to put them together in case they make a snack out of them!

The 2 day olds are doing great too, they are in a rubbermaid with a gentle air wand for now. I am going to add a sponge filter when I think they can handle it.

3 day old fry, warmer temp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5IKUb5YduE

And here are the 2 day olds, cooler temp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsvPImITieg

That is so exciting. Aren't they cute? :heart I've never seen goldfish fry but I use to get platy and molly fry and they grew like crazy. Even tiny like that they are little piggies aren't they? Best of luck with them and I hope you'll post more pics of their progress. :)

Aw Constance,that is just TOO COOL :bounce And Mom and Dad look so peaceful in their tank together :wub: I wonder if they know what's going on just above them :hide: ?

Thank you caitie! :D Yes they are SUCH piggies, you can see their stuffed little bellies since they are still transparent! A couple of times they even tried to eat each other...its actually so cute though. :rofl

Thanks kukana! :D Mom likes to come over and check out the container with the babies quite a bit. I think she is just seeing if anything is edible -- she has a one track mind -- EATEATEAT! :feedme

One thing I've noticed that's really cute -- the babies like to chase the bubbles on the outside of the container (the bubble wand and filter produce bubbles that get stuck under the container, and float around the outside. The babies can see them through the plastic container and chase them and try to eat them! They remind me SO much of little Pac-mans, because that's what their mouths look like, pretty much! So funny...and they are sooooooo curious.

Thanks!!! :D They are still SO little but getting bigger every day!

They eat like little piggies and are pretty relaxed during their daily water change (the ones in the little container in the big tank.) They see me the most so they are the tamest. :)

Had about 10 more hatch a day or two ago...I am up to my eyeballs in fry! I almost hope nature will take care of getting the numbers down a little so I don't have to (have a little over a hundred, which isn't that much for a batch of fry.....but still a lot for me!)

I just hope at least a couple survive :goodluck Only lost one I think so far naturally....and had to cull a few that were not doing well...but the vast majority at this point are happy and healthy!!

New pics coming as soon as they get a little bigger!! Can't wait until 2 weeks...then 4 weeks....and they start to look like real little fish!! :bounce

SPECKIES!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I can't believe I missed this thread! Soooooo cool!

One day I will be a speckie mummy...as long as Red turns out to be male...

Thanks!! They really are sweet little things. :D They really do worry me sometimes....especially during water changes when they will not move away from the airline tubing-siphon! I try to nudge them and they barely budge...I have not once vacuumed their container without sucking somebody up...I am SO SO careful but it is SO difficult!

And I definitely see being a fishy mommy in your future! (It's pretty funny, suddenly being a mom to a hundred little ones.) Just be careful what you wish for....I was so psyched when I saw eggs the first time, but now that there seems to be a never-ending supply....I have had quite enough for a while! :rolleyes::rofl

Wow badfish these are really amazing! I can't wait to see what happens next! There's so many of them... how many are expected to survive?

Thanks! :D I have no idea how many are going to live....I know there is supposed to be a big die-off at certain stages....3-4 weeks for example...so I am just trying to take care of them as best as I can and waiting to see what happens!

I definitely can't handle all of them for long, so I'm hoping a little bit that mother nature will let the strongest & healthiest survive. Culling is something I am having a hard time with (I've done it a few times when it was in the best interest of the fry, but it is not easy for me.)

I am going to wait until the die-off periods pass like Trinket suggests and then take it from there (and not cull too much beforehand.)

We shall see...it is really exciting! I never dreamed I would be raising fry...it's quite an amazing experience! :D

(I do have a batch of eggs from this morning, if anyone local wants them -- free of course -- just let me know! The parents are the two butterfly teles. I can't wait to see what the babies turn out to be. :) )

These 2 Teles are VERY ACTIVE,aren't they :yeah::rofl

Right?!?! I couldn't believe they were at it again this morning.... :rolleyes: She should be out of eggs soon, right?......right? :rofl

I would love to pinch some of the eggs but I'm not even in the same country :cry I've never had a telescope before...

Aww I would love for you to have them! I doubt they would make it in the mail (they'd probably hatch -- they always seem to hatch in 2 days which is quick!)

The offer stands though for anyone close to central NJ who might be interested!

Woops I just read back and saw that you already answered my question previously. Silly me! :D

I did? Great!! What did I say? :teehee

Hopefully I will figure something out! If not.....free butterfly tele babies for everyone on Koko's!! :D