Eggs Round 2!

Badfish

Okay, so my happy butterfly tele couple released a bunch more eggs yesterday (quite a bit more than the first time.) They ate a bunch, and I managed to take out about 200. About 50 ended up not being fertilized.

This morning, I have them in a clear rubbermaid container in about 7 inches of water, on a stand with an open bottom so I can look up at the eggs from underneath and see them very closely. I already see development and even movement in a LOT of them! It's only been a little more than 24 hours...the rate of growth is just amazing!

I am not freaking out as much as last time (none ended up hatching then, though I did see some development in a couple.) Also, I know better how to tell which are fertilized and I've treated them much better. I'm more hopeful that something may actually happen this time....I am just so fascinated by all of this.

I'll keep this thread updated in case anyone is interested! I will, again, be very surprised if I am able to pull this off, but I am going to give it a go just this once (not looking to breed regularly or anything.) If one little guy were to survive I would be so happy!

My camera is not working at the moment, but I do have a little Flip video camera. Unfortunately, I cannot zoom in and focus on very small things so it's pretty pointless at the moment. If any of the fry hatch I will try to get a vid though. I SO wish I could show what I am seeing, with the little wiggles in the eggs. It's so cool! :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone!!

Kukana...I am checking that out right this instant!

Just went up there, and the development in the last 12 hours is just WOW!!! The eyes are there, two dark little black spots, the spine is dark and easy to see....and they are spinning in their eggs! I want to share soooo badly. So amazing. The little eyes are killing me...so darn cute.

I ordered all the supplies this time, spent $20 on delivery so they will (hopefully) be here in time.

I will update with any developments!

I've known this whole time that there were some eggs on a plant in the big tank that I didn't remove (figure if I totally screwed up the other ones, these would hopefully still be okay.)

Well, I put the plant in a little container inside the big tank this morning, and not a moment too soon! Went up there to check a little while later....and there are fry in there!

I even saw a little guy swimming around with mommy and daddy, so I scooped him up before he became an appetizer. :)

Also found a few other random eggs in the big tank, transferred them to little container in big tank, and almost all have hatched (save about 5....so about 10-15 fry hatched so far.) They are swimming around, going up to the surface (though it takes a few tries to get there...) They are SO cute!!

No action yet from the other separate container with the majority of the eggs (kept at a cooler temperature.) They are still wiggling around in the eggs, but think they will need another day or so.

QUESTION: I removed most unfertilized eggs (all I could see anyway), and I am still waiting for my methylene blue to arrive (ordered it when I was ordering everything else.) I did notice a little bit of fungus on an egg or two....will this kill all the eggs? Some of them? Can they survive fungus? If they do have fungus and survive, will they be okay once I add the meth blue?

Thank you!!! :D:D:D

I can't believe they hatched at only a little over 2 days old?! The parents spawned on Saturday morning!

I hope I don't kill them!! I have Hikari First Bites coming, along with algae wafers and I am picking up frozen baby brine shrimp today. I'm not supposed to feed until the 3rd day, correct?

Gonna get some meth blue today too, I should've done that already. I may try the boiled egg yolks too, but I hear it's messy!

Fingers crossed I pull this off!! :) I'm so nervous!!

:theater: so amazing!!!!!!!!!!

i think i read somewhere you can raise eggs in a low salt dose - try to check that - I read it in one of the threads!

I can't wait for some pics of the little guys!!! are you planning to separate them but size?! so exciting!

Tried to find the thing about adding salt, but to no avail.

Here is a quick vid...I can't zoom any closer, so there's not a lot of detail, but you can just see a couple swimming around. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3OGJ2SNkU

Every single egg from the big tank has hatched now....I think there are about 20 in there so far.

I'm a little worried about the bulk of them in that other container (about 150 or so in there)...I hope the fungus doesn't ruin them.

It truly is so amazing though!

that is sooo amazing! might be time to get a huge tank for all those babies!

the salting was mention hmmm... cant remember - but not as a title or anything - it was in a thread - someone had taken half the eggs to a low salt solution and the other half in fresh water - the salt prevented fungus... i will look a bit

I just called Ace Hardware, and they are ordering a 240 gallon plastic kiddie pool for me. They are only like $13! Maybe when/if the babies survive, I can use that for a time. :)

I really want that 300 gallon stock tank that someone was talking about, it's still only a little over $200....which is not bad. That would be great to have with some tele's outside for the summer! I am starting to want a little stock pond REALLY bad!

a kiddie pool how funny!

could the salt have been 0.1 - I am really not sure... Could it have been posted by Daryl....? hmmmm

so far i only found:

"The biggest problem I find with most hatching and fungus growth that many have is the water quality. The spawning is a filthy mess producer - after spawning the water is disgusting and MUST be changed. I usually use mops - and remove them, rinse them gently and put them in a hatch out tank of large volume and 100% clean water. After a hatch, once again, the water will be heavily fouled by all the by-products of the hatch. It is ESSENTIAL that the water is cleaned. Starting a sponge filter going before hatch out will allow one to season as the fry grow and the food/waste load increases. Do not forget to squeeze out the sponge often - it can be quickly plugged with waste. A sponge will collect little bits of brine shrimp and algae - and become a good feeding platform for fry, though."

do you already have the filter thing? the salt i saw might only have been for fry - will keep checking

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

Hope I didn't screw up....but I cleaned the water 100% and added 0.1% salt (or approx. 1 TSP per gallon.) My sponge filter should be here 2morrow!

I'm hoping the salt will be okay, I was just really fearing that fungus, it looked like it was getting out of hand quick! I see a few eggs that looked healthy that are now infected with fungus. Many still look healthy though (fingers crossed!)

This is definitely very educational...there is something about actually doing it, not just reading about it....you just learn so much more! If nothing else, it's all a learning experience!

I am finding it hard to keep the water clean. Maybe it's just me, but it seems so yucky so fast even after starting with fully clean water.....I really can't wait for that sponge filter to get here.

P.S. Found another brave little soul swimming with mom and dad! Got him outta there quick -- he wouldn't have lasted long with those two piggies! :)

Thanks for looking that up for me by the way CFG! I really appreciate the help...trying to keep my cool like this --> :D and not be like this --> :scared:yikes

This is what I must look like to the eggs though, if they can see... :peeka with how much I have been checking on them. Ha!

Thank you to everyone! :)

Soooooooo.........

Grand total thus far:

2 day old fry in warmer water -- about 20-30?

Fry hatched today in colder water -- about 70-ish? Still hatching...maybe about 10 more possible.

I did a partial water change on fry batch 1 (2 day old fry.) They are still in a small container in the big tank until I figure out what to do (and until my sponge filter gets here!) I added a teeny-tiny bit of frozen baby brine shrimp because a few of them are almost completely out of egg sac.

I think I read somewhere that there is usually a die-off right after the egg sac disappears (that's when they have to make it to the surface, and the ones that don't, die(?) Don't know if this is correct......

SO....so far, so good. Almost all of the eggs hatched....now it's just keeping them alive! :peeka:wacko: :linedrink :)

Edited by Badfish

This is what I must look like to the eggs though, if they can see... with how much I have been checking on them. Ha!

ahaha i love it!

as for the fungus can you handle the eggs somehow - maybe already try to split the ones with fungus from the healthy ones? it might help...? not sure how you would do it - I read somewhere they use the turkey baster thing...

oh another thing - i think some people separate the larger=faster growing babies from the little ones - as the bigger ones could harass/eat the smaller... (?)

:goodluck

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

I meant to ask about the bigger/smaller baby thing! I didn't know there could be such a drastic difference in size between them....if that happens, I will definitely separate! :)

The 70-or so fry that have hatched have already been switched to a separate container for now, far away from the fungus eggs! I removed the ones that were obvious, but some I just couldn't tell. The water just seems to get gunky so fast....I figured it would be best to move them once they hatch to 100% clean water, away from all the hatching-mess stuff.

(Yes, I scooped them up one-by-one in little puddles of water in my hand as they hatched oh-so carefully! :) )

I want to post pics oh-so bad!! They are looking less like eyelashes with eyeballs, and more like baby fish by the hour.

This is what I think I just saw from the older fry (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

They are swimming but still kind of sinking (not yet buoyant.) Suddenly, they get big bursts of energy, shoot to the top, fill their air bladder, and they can swim horizontal in the water! I can even see the little bubble of air in their bellies where there wasn't one a second ago. Then, they go to the bottom, find a baby brine shrimp, and eat! I see a little black spot in their bellies (stomach?) get bigger when they do this. Does this all sound accurate?

This is so fascinating!!