Snails?

I saw some snails in a tank at the place that sells fish/supplies here and was wondering if I could place one in the tank with my demekin (black moor) and what I would call a regular goldfish?

We bought 2 live plants and noticed that there was a really really tiny snail on the side of the tank, which I'm guessing came off of the plants. But we have not seen it in 3 days.

Thx!!

You can take any snail you want, but some breed superrrrr fast. I had a hobo snail that dissapeared for a while at a time, only because he was so small and unnoticed able, if you start to notice a whole lot more of that snail, fish them out before it gets out of control!

Chances are that is like Lindsay793 said, a pest snail. Trust me from my experience trying to battle those things they are a nightmare! They even get inside your filter and breed.

Did you disinfect your plants before you added them to the tank? That generally takes care of snails and their eggs.

As far as putting apple snails in your tank with goldies, sometimes the goldies will pick at the snail's eye stalks. Also, remember that snails are messy and require three gallons per apple snail.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No. Although the canaliculata complex (of apple snails) have been shown to have cannibalistic tendencies towards other snails and fish (most likely very weak or sick fish), this is very rare involving fish. You should be fine combining any apple snail with fish especially when both are well fed. Feeding snails with fish meat is largely discouraged to avoid the snails from developing cannibalistic taste for fish (again this is very rare).