Difficult Situation

Basically, when it comes to the maltreatment of an animal I get really bristly and quite bargey about it. So yeah I can't help but just barge into it and try and fix it and am a bit forward about the right treatment of it.

So anyway my mate got his housemate some goldies for his bday a while ago. I visited yesterday and they were in an appalling state! They've been cleaning out a TINY bowl every 2 WEEKS! It had like 2 inches of substrate in the bottom and you could hardly see the fish. No filter. And they are singletails.

Anyway I have my spare bowl which is a lot bigger and I made him take it from me today and so very kindly have lent them my little filter too. I went over and moved them into the bigger bowl, set the filter up, made sure the water was clean. Then I told him loads and loads of stuff about how they deserve to be in a pond and it's not even that fair for them to be in a bowl even if its an upgrade.

In the end I told him I would take them from his housemate if he got bored with them. Basically I will happily take them but I'll put them in someone's pond since that's where they deserve to be now.

Frustrating... I don't know how to persuade him and his housemate to let me have my way!

xxx

It is a frustrating situation that I think many of us have been in :(

Some people don't want advice, and others just don't care. I think you did good by at least giving them the bigger bowl and filter, even though (as you know) that isn't good enough either. Let's just hope they do get bored and give the fish to you.

I don't understand why people get pets without putting thought into what the animals need. I always cringe at the lfs when I see people buying animals that they clearly know nothing about, and the store employees don't seem to care. It's sad really...

Sounds like you've done all you can at this point. I'd just keep nicely, but firmly making your points to them. It took a couple of months before my friend could convince her roommates to give me Atticus; they felt it would be easier just to kill him and get a betta, but she wouldn't let them. She kept changing his water and keeping him alive until they got sick of it and said "fine, give him away". It even took me a while to convince hubby that my single tails will need a huge upgrade when we move. He couldn't quite wrap his mind around spending $300 on a tank for fish that cost $1, but he finally realized that I don't think of cost when I take on the care of a living breathing creature. Now my 3 will be getting a much larger tank in a month and a pond next summer.

even took me a while to convince hubby that my single tails will need a huge upgrade when we move. He couldn't quite wrap his mind around spending $300 on a tank for fish that cost $1

my boyfriend is the SAME! when they got sick he was like - 'but why are you spending hundreds of dollars on meds when you could just get a new fish for 10?' they just dont understand... sigh

I pointed out to my hubby that all of our mammal pets (which he sees differently from "just fish") have been free, but we don't hesitate to spend the needed $ on vet care or quality food on them. All living, breathing creatures deserve the same treatment. I don't know if fish experience pain in the same way that we do, but they sure do look like they're sad when they don't feel well, and they sure do seem happy right after a water change and they definitely get excited over food. That's enough proof for me that they have a level of feeling that needs to be respected :)

I pointed out to my hubby that all of our mammal pets (which he sees differently from "just fish") have been free, but we don't hesitate to spend the needed $ on vet care or quality food on them. All living, breathing creatures deserve the same treatment. I don't know if fish experience pain in the same way that we do, but they sure do look like they're sad when they don't feel well, and they sure do seem happy right after a water change and they definitely get excited over food. That's enough proof for me that they have a level of feeling that needs to be respected :)

I entirely agree, every animal that breathes has the same right as the next, and for me they have the same rights to life as any human does too, it's why I am a veggie!

I was inspired so I made this group to make keeping goldies more accessible to those who don't know where to look for advice, and generally to get the idea out there that fish have rights too!

Link: Nono/?ref=logo#!/pages/Goldfish-are-animals-too/114893155218282?ref=mf

xxx

Edited by Goldfish Carer

I also get quite upset with people that just don't seem to "get it" :(

I've joined the group!! :D

BuggyBear is right, it's all about education, education, education! :)

Yeah, I got lucky with my parental assignments.. My free fair fish (six inch singletail) was "allowed" a ten gallon, once I did research on what they need we got her her own 30gallon tank (and mom is thinking about upgrading to a 75g to have two after I go away to college)

I'm guessing that Edgar was the luckiest fish at the fair since she got to go home with you smile.gif

Yeah.. the little one inch singletail that came with her half-dead wasnt as lucky. I don't like to go into fish stores often.. one LPS is always overstocked.. they had 4 adult butterfly koi in one of their 20 gallon tanks.. I told the managers how the fish required more space but when I went in there the next time there were still 3. The LFS that I like to go to has the giant above-ground pond/pools that I've seen in pictures from fish shows. They also have these current machines for their large saltwater fish that make the entire pool seem like a mini ocean, you can always tell when the current changes to the other side because the fish all flip around and start swimming against it..