Mr Franky Had An Outta Tank Experience

Helen

• Supporter

mr frany, my aquarium snail.. (i think apple) decided to go walkies. i found him sliding back up the tank and trying to get into the tank.. but he wasn't where he got out from and he couldn't manage to get back in. he got out from the filter tube cut in the glass lid. did he try to find food? why would he go? it's been a year and a half and he's never left me before!.. i don't feed him anything but the remains of my gold fish food. do i need to feed him something more to keep him interested in the tank? mrs franky never leaves, she's always happy.. here's a pic of the culprit (in his tank.. i didn't have my camera at the time he went walkies)mrfrankyresized.jpg

It might have been a food trip, or Mr Franky might be a Mrs Franky looking for somewhere to lay eggs! I would put some cucumber or something in the tank in the evenings for the snails, they eat most fruit and vegetables and they eat a lot. If your goldies are anything like mine there won't be many leftovers!!! My snail loves to eat gelfood, maybe you could try putting the snails in a bowl with some and see if they eat it if you ever make any?

Great pic by the way ;)

• Supporter

hey. nice to hear from you again.. (i just subscribed!! yaay!)

re the cucumber.. any preperations? ie, obviously to cut it, but peel? seeds removed? i've feed lettuce to my fish, but they didn't like it, fresh and rinsed.. so perhaps i don't know how to prepare food for snails and fish..

thanks again for your time..

Neither my snails or my fish like lettuce, with the cucumber you can just cut a slice, I don't peel it or anything and put it on a chopstick or something and wedge it under a rock. If you don't soften it the fish won't eat it but the snails will, snails have seriously sharp teeth. If you want to feed it to your fish I find the easiest thing to do is chop up a few tiny squares (small enough to fit in your fish's mouth), no seeds or peel, and put them in a glass with some boiling water for a few minutes to soften them up, then just throw them in. Same with other veg (peas are a favourite - boiled and deshelled), soften it for the fish and chop it up, don't do anything except wash for the snails. They will eat pretty much anything...

• Supporter

thank you.. i will go to prepare it now.. as it's night time here in Oz.. i read cuttle bone is good for them too.. this shouldn't harm the fish in any way will it? i'm considering this because, if you see my pic of mr franky, at the rim of his shell, it's kinda getting a tad flakey.. is this normal or is he lacking calcium? another member mentioned calcium drops, but again, my concern is using things that aren't gold fish friendly..