Dropsy And Distress

amoonklein

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I wasn't on yesterday! I stopped in at one point but it said that the bandwith was exceeded and then the rest of the day was really busy.

I think it was okay to add some epsom back in since it may have helped. Just remove it in a few days (7-8days total max).

Continue to feed the Jungle AP Food for a total of 14 days in a row.. (Like I said, since it's dropsy I wanna be safe). Then take 4 days off the jungle and feed something else. Then 3 more days Jungle. 4 more days off, 3 more days Jungle and then I would say you're good. You could do another 4 off 3 on if you'd like.. I've used the Jungle AP food for 8 weeks before on cases with tapeworms.

I have noticed that sometimes the fish DO get floaty on Jungle. It depends. For ME personally, they always seem to be less floaty. But others have said that their fish get very floaty on it. So that could be a big reason for Mr. Wendells odd swimming.

The red - its hard to tell exactly what that is. But right now it's not a HUGE cause for concern for me.. The biggest thing is that the scales are flat again. This is such good news I am so happy!

• Supporter

No apologies necessary! I am thankful for any and all advice and support I receive. You guys are awesome :)

I woke up this morning to a non-floaty Mr. Wendell. Yay. Looks like the epsom did the trick. I'll keep it in today (today will be day 6), and then slowly start removing it over a few days.

Also, I was wondering what I should start doing for Mooshu and Moose in the main tank... if anything. They are still surface gasping off and on, yawning off and on, and I am still noticing the stringy, white/clear poo with occational bubbles.

Thanks again ladies.

I'm late on this topic, but I wanted to let you know that I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I had an experience once and hope to never have another. But I think that goes for everyone. All of your fish are gorgeous. Especially Mr. Wendell and I hope he makes a full, permanent recovery. You have excellent advice given to you and you're on the right track. :)

• Supporter

Thanks Federica and Whitney. It's nice to have such a wonderful support system here at kokos. Although our families and loved ones care, sometimes they just don't quite understand why we love our fishies as much as we do. Occasionally I get that raised eyebrow look from friends (You know the one... where it seems like they are thinking: Allie, are you sure you aren't becoming a crazy fish lady?). It's just a great feeling to know that everyone here at kokos loves their fishies too :)

Although our families and loved ones care, sometimes they just don't quite understand why we love our fishies as much as we do.

No, they don't! Lol. My brother is always patronizing me. And he has fish, too! You'd think he'd understand, but he doesn't.

I am so glad Mr. Wendell is doing better! He has to get better to keep showing us that cute face of his. He is absolutely adorable.

I know how you guys feel about the fish, my dad has a tropical tank and insists that I take care of the fish better than I do people, and that I'm crazy :rofl It's probably true though.

• Supporter

Thanks, guys smile.gif

Yes! We are a little fish crazy, aren't we? I'm totally OK with that. It gives us character wink.gif I'm thankful my husband is overly supportive with my obsession.

My brother hates all pets I think - he looks at my dogs all grossed out - I do it on purpose to 'fish forum' in front of him when he comes to visit - then I get the usual "Get a life"... I think he tries to be too cool for his own good :rofl

As for the gulping and pooping white - have you QTd them when you got them? I hadn't done that with my fish so now I have been going through a general tank QT - involving salt, Jungle AP and Prazi. They are all already doing better - not just yawn more than gulp - and I still have 3 weeks of Prazi left ;) At least when I am done I will be reassured to have gotten MOST nasties out.

• Supporter

Yes, technically everyone has been QTd at some point. Mooshu was QTd about 2+ years ago and was my only goldie for a while, then I got Moose in August of last year and he was QTd for about a month, followed by Mr. Wendell in December, and now I have Martini who is just finishing up her QT process.

I think until everything has been sorted out, Martini will be staying in her QT tank so I don't risk exposing her incase their are some bad buggies in the main tank also.

I wish everyone would just get and STAY healthy!

This is what I was going to say too:

As for the gulping and pooping white - have you QTd them when you got them? I hadn't done that with my fish so now I have been going through a general tank QT - involving salt, Jungle AP and Prazi. They are all already doing better - not just yawn more than gulp - and I still have 3 weeks of Prazi left ;) At least when I am done I will be reassured to have gotten MOST nasties out.

First thing I would do is another prazi course for all the fish in the main tank.. Mutliple doses.. Every 2-3 dose the tank then do a partial water change.. This would be my first step and then I may consider salting again but the prazi is a DEFINATE in my opinion and a great place to start.

• Supporter

Okie dokie, Sue... sounds good to me :)

I want to make sure I'm reading your instructions correctly. So, instead of the usual treatment of 3 days on, four days off, I'll be doing a continuous treatment, dosing every 2-3 days with partial water changes in between. Yes? Should I do this for 4 weeks?

Also, I'm gonna throw an oddball question into the mix:

Martini is still in QT. During QT, I treated her with Aqua Prazi from GFC, but she was still doing some piping at the surface and some yawning after her treatment. I dosed her tank with the Liquid Prazi Pro the same time I dosed Mr. Wendell's tank thinking she needed to be on prazi longer. I guess what I'm asking is: since I'll be treating the main tank with prazi, could I move Martini to the main tank and treat the three of them together? On the one hand, it would be easier for me cause I would only be working on, treating, and taking notes for 2 tanks instead of 3, but I don't want to risk anyone's health by trying to make my life a little bit easier. Please be honest and tell me what you think cause I'm flip floping back and forth.

I want to make sure I'm reading your instructions correctly. So, instead of the usual treatment of 3 days on, four days off, I'll be doing a continuous treatment, dosing every 2-3 days with partial water changes in between. Yes? Should I do this for 4 weeks?

You can do the 3 days on, 4 days off method if you like and are used to it! There are so many dosing schedules for prazi, you really can't go wrong as long as you are doing multiple doses. The only reason I wrote that was to give you an example of dosing (in case you didn't know) but whatever works for you is fine.

How long has Martini been in QT again? Has he been salted for two weeks at 0.3%? Any issues at all with him? And eventually you were planning on moving Martini in there right? You just wanna do it early?

• Supporter

OK... I'll do the usual 3 days on, 4 days off and see how that goes. It will work perfectly into the schedule because today is when I'm supposed to dose Mr. Wendell again for week two. Thanks :)

Martini started QT on 5/22/10 and was at .3% salt for 2 weeks (I don't have my planner with me right now and don't remember the exact dates). The only odd behavior was her piping at the surface after her prazi treatment. I was going to keep her in QT a little longer and continue giving her prazi, but since I'm gonna be dosing prazi to the main tank, I could put her in and dose them all together. Does this sound OK?

Thank goodness for a day planner. If I wasn't taking notes I would probably go crazy trying to remember everything.

• Supporter

Oh yay! I had my fingers crossed that you would say that. I'm so excited... an introduction to the crew smile.gif Giggles.

Mr. Wendell is being such a trooper... he has still been floatey after eating the AP food (even with the epsom) so I have been doing water changes to remove it. He'll get floatey and rest upside down for the evening and when I wake up in the morning to check on him, he's back to being right side up.

His cheek has totally healed and he is just being his happy self, lazily swimming around QT (unless he's upside down of course)

Edited by amoonklein

• Supporter
I can't wait to see pictures of the whole gang together!

Me neither smile.gif I sure hope it's soon.

Martini's introduction to Mooshu and Moose went really well... once they realized she isn't food. Silly feeshees. They are still getting used to each other, but she's zipping around with them. Hopefully I'll get to do a photoshoot and take a video soon to share.

As for Mr. Wendell, he seems to be in constant upside down float mode. Boo. I woke up expecting him to be right side up swimming around like the past few days, but unfortunately he was still at the surface belly up. If I walk up to the tank, he struggles for a few seconds or so and then rights himself hoping I have food, but shortly thereafter, he starts wobbling and floats back to the surface again.

I'm getting a little nervous that he's going to be constantly floaty like this the whole time he's on the AP food. You think this will be the case? Is there anything I can do to help him out a little?

Edited by amoonklein

oh no... AP does that to my Ryukin - he gets real floaty and becomes a gymnast! the only thing I have come up with is gel food - you can mix the AP with gel - somehow it seems to saturate it - making the fish way less floaty - you can also mix in a few peas...

PICS of the crew!!! You always have amazing pics!!! :popcorn

• Supporter

Thanks Federica :)

Unfortunately, Mr. Wendell is pineconing again. Uh! So he's prickly and floating upside down. Not sure what to do here... the epsom is out of the tank. Add it back in? Should I do anything else? Is the Jungle AP working? Current water params are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5. Prazi was added last night. Temp is currently 78.9.

I am trying to stay calm and relaxed, but I'm having a hard time.

Poor Mr. Wendell.

As always, thank you guys for any and all advice.

Allie, I was so sad to read this. :( Mr Wendell seems to dropsy everytime you remove the epsom no? I really think we should wait to see what Sue says since she has had first hand experience with recurring dropsy. Have you sent her a pm yet?

How long was the epsom in his tank?

• Supporter

Hi Edith... The epsom was in for seven full days and then I did small water changes to remove it. The epsom was officially out as of yesterday.

I haven't PM'd Sue... I guess I forgot that I could do that. I can try to send her a PM and maybe she'll see it.

I sure hope he pulls through this. I can tell he's fighting and he wants to get better because he struggled like crazy to get to the bottom of the tank to eat his AP dinner. I was about ready to hand feed him, but he managed to do it all by himself. Now that's determination!

I'm doing a water change right now..

As long as he is fighting then he has very good chances. :heart

I would definitely send Sue that pm. If the epsom hadn't already been in that long I would say put it back in but I'm not sure if that would help or do more harm. Let me do a bit of research and I'll be back. :)