Picky Snail

whitner

He wouldn't eat the lettuce I put in there for him, he wouldn't eat the orange slice either. And I haven't even seen him touch the cuttlebone I got for him today. I do, however, see a bunch of mouthmarks on the glass where he's eaten at the algae. Lol. I thought snails weren't choosy in what they ate? Will the bone eventually dissolve?

I haven't tried cucumber yet. I'll tell my mom to pick one up when she goes grocery shopping. I have soft water but I use a buffer, so I don't know how that will affect it. Maybe our snails came from a farm where they were spoiled rotten ? Lol.

Edited by whitner

My last snail never ate lettuce either, but he loooooved cucumber and also really really really liked the gelfood I gave the goldfish. I threw a chunk in his tank one time just to see if he'd eat it, 5 minutes later and the whole cube was gone. My new snail likes gelfood too :) Just make sure none of the ingredients contain salt if you want to feed gelfood to your snail. I think they'll also eat goldfish pellets if they can get them but that might be a problem if he's in the same tank as your goldfish!

I assume my snail gets pellets that fall into places where the fish can't get them, but I do feel bad for the poor guy, he mustn't get much. I was thinking of putting in a tube or vase of some kind that only he can fit into, and then putting a little food in there.

That's a bit risky Chrissy...what if it takes him a day or two to get to it and it rots? Or your goldies injure themselves trying to get into it? I keep my snail in a betta tank so I don't have this problem - the betta doesn't like my gelfood (pompous snoot!) or cucumber so the snail gets it all.

If the snail needed calcium to keep the shell intact and seems rather picky, assuming that it still actively crawls around, dropping a tablet of Caltrate and allowing it to walk on it won't hurt at all. The snail should be able to absorb the calcium through its foot.

What species is your snail, Whitney? Pomacea diffusa do tend to be picky but I would be more surprised if your snail turns out to be of canaliculata complex. Canas will pick on anything.

LUPIN!!! Boy, am I glad to see you! Where have you been? And to answer your question about the species, I have no idea. He was sold to me as a black mystery snail. He is very active and I see more and more teeth marks (assuming snails have teeth) on the glass every morning. I'm hoping he's getting his nutrients from the algae. He doesn't look sickly, no discoloration or anything. The cuttlebone still doesn't look like it's been touched, so I don't know what he's eating. LOL. I have seen him eat fish pellets before, but with 2 ravenous goldfish I doubt he can find any leftovers. I've tried spirulina too, but he won't eat that either.

I should have named him Fickle. Haha!

The cucumber trick worked! He didn't see it right away, but when he found it he was eating away at it in no time. Thank goodness! My brother took it upon himself to wipe the algae off my tank yesterday so I was worried how Neville was going to get food. Yay!

Oh, yeah, I did some research and came to the conclusion that Neville is indeed of the Pomacea diffusa persuasion. :) His shell is more pointed.

No, I haven't picked any up. Would any over-the-counter calcium pill work as long as it doesn't have too many additives?

mine eats everything... well at least, where ever there is some food i.e. ground. but now he decided to munch a bit on my anubia.. which i do not enjoy that much...D:

No, I haven't picked any up. Would any over-the-counter calcium pill work as long as it doesn't have too many additives?

The only reason I prefer Caltrate is it does not cloud the water as badly as others do. Generic pills cloud the water easily but no harm done. I just hate having to change water to get the cloudiness off.

I'm just worried that he won't eat it since he hasn't touched the cuttlefish bone. :/

mine eats everything... well at least, where ever there is some food i.e. ground. but now he decided to munch a bit on my anubia.. which i do not enjoy that much...D:

You probably have a cana. They eat everything!

• 1 month later...

I have 3 mystery snails, a black...a blue...and golden one. They are all finicky eaters as well. The only thing I have seen them eating is the algae. They wouldn't touch the lettuce or the pea gel I put in. Mine also won't go near the cuttlebone I put in.

Cucumber is my next resort, hope it works.

Ok, I've put Cucumber in there is as well, and they have not touched it at all. There are no signs they've touched it, and I've paid rather close attention to them. Can they really like algae that much?

Maybe they just haven't smelled it yet. I saw my snail picking at the cuttlebone the other day. So I know he's gotten some calcium recently.