My First Snail!

whitner

On a whim I decided to by a little snail. He's a black mystery snail and I decided t name him Neville. Haha. He's seemed to adjust fairly well. I enjoy watching him. He's so cute! Here's some picture:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll303/s0c0f0b/utf-8BSU1HMDA1MjcuanBn.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll303/s0c0f0b/utf-8BSU1HMDA1MjIuanBn.jpg

I'll take more later because they're kind of bad quality.

Thanks! I'm already in love with him!

I have a few questions. Since he is living with 2 ravenous goldfish, how do I keep him well-fed? I don't want him to starve. And since my water naturally has an acidic pH even though I use a buffer, should I also add calcium? If so, how will it affect my goldies? I've heard pearlscales do well with calcium because of their scales. Also, I don't want to keep the eggs he/she lays; can I just let my fish eat them? I know that sounds awful, but I really don't want a bunch of snails crowding my tank, as cute as they may be.

Yes they need a mate to lay eggs, so no chance of that. I feed mine cucumber on a veggie clip and don't put it in until after the light has gone out, that way the goldies are less likely to hog it! I worry about him getting his fair share of food too but so far (I've had him at least 6 months) he seems to do well. I think he finds pellets around the tank that have gotten into places where the goldies can't get them.

I have very soft water and use buff-it-up, but other than that I don't add calcium. So far Slimy's shell seems fine.

Thanks! I'll definately try that veggie clip trick. They don't need a mate to lay eggs do they? I bought spirulina today and the fish gobbled it up! Especially Moony who is bigger so he can hold more. But he's such a hog! I had to keep him away from Neville while he inched his way over to a pellet even though Moony kept swimming over looking for any food he may have missed. I'm telling you, these fish leave nothing behind! I worry about Neville. Do I need to separate them during feed time or what?! :( He didn't even eat the spirulina. He sat on it for a bit but slid away and Moony rushed over to suck it up. How much do they eat in one sitting? A couple bites and they're done? I did see him suctioned to a rock that was covered in algae yesterday. Didn't look like he did any damage to the algae but perhaps he was picking at it? When I transfered the larger rocks from the 10 gallon to the new tank I left the algae on them instead of scrubbing it off. How long can they go without food, anyway?

Edited by whitner

My apple snail loved gel food, he'd eat a whole cube to himself no problems but it would take a little while, just make sure there's no salt in the ingredients. Mine never was interested in spirulina either, but he'd eat goldfish food or cucumber. Mine used to eat a lot and of course used to poop a lot too, they are sooooo messy. If you're worried about food, and I would be if I had a snail in my goldie tank, you could maybe put him in a mixing bowl with some food every day or every other day for a while so he gets some? I used to keep mine in a separate tank either with minnows or on his own so it was never an issue. Some of the bigger goldies will eat the snails and I just know more than one of mine would find those little eye-stalks fascinating and stress him out, but it depends on your fish.

For calcium, rather than adding it directly to the water you can buy a cuttlefish bone from the bird section of any pet shop, remove any clips etc and pin it down under a rock or something in the tank, the snail will get his calcium from that.

A cuttlefish bone, eh? I think I'll try that. :) I may have to separate him during feeding time just so I can have some piece of mind. Fortunately, my fish don't bother him. He kinda blends in so to them he's just another rock. Haha. I'll need togo to he store to get ingredients for more gel food. I dumped the last batch a few months ago 'cause it was expired. Maybe flakes can be used? My fish never get all of them so there's bound to be leftovers for Neville. I'm just not a fan of flakes, though...

Thanks for the advice!