Sickly Fish

Sakura

Aw,you and Fuu have come through so much together :heart Honestly,I think it is AMAZING that she has been able to hang in through all of this,what a little trooper :9 Any 1 of her ailments could have put a lesser fish down :blush: I just wanted to stop in and say that you and Fuu are amazing,and we are all seriously rooting for you both :heart:heart:heart

And I think I would do the last dose,just in case it's not the right med,and doesn't help her?You won't be wondering would it have made a difference HAD you done the last dose :hmm

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do as long as it says in the instructions. I remember reading that if you end a treatment early, sometimes it can make the bacteria or whatever resist the medication!

Well the package suggests to do 5 days, but I have already done 6. I think 5 days is somewhat arbitrarily decided on... I mean some infections may take longer to get to the point you can stop and some might take less time. I don't really know I guess. :idont

I think you are right Kukana, I probably will always wonder about finishing that last dose. And thanks for the kind words! I am also amazed by Fuu's ability to keep on going. It's like she's super-fish or something. :D

Aw,you and Fuu have come through so much together :heart Honestly,I think it is AMAZING that she has been able to hang in through all of this,what a little trooper :9 Any 1 of her ailments could have put a lesser fish down :blush: I just wanted to stop in and say that you and Fuu are amazing,and we are all seriously rooting for you both :heart :heart :heart

And I think I would do the last dose,just in case it's not the right med,and doesn't help her?You won't be wondering would it have made a difference HAD you done the last dose :hmm

:bingo: I can't add anything else, Susan beat me to it. ;) But seriously I'm hoping that all this will soon be over so that you can soon enjoy your healthy little Fuu. :wub:

Thanks Amy and Edith!

I just finished her nightly check. It took longer than usual becuase I sterilized and set up a fresh tank that will be ready for her tomorrow. The ammonia and nitrite are making me really nervous so I'm going to transfer her over first thing in the morning. This way her last dose won't be a full day, but at least it will be in overnight. Ammonia is in between .5 and 1. Nitrite is showing up, but barely. :o pH is about the only thing that is good, at 8.2! I would transfer her over to the new water right now, but it really needs to age for a few hours so the pH will match. :(

She is way more floaty than yesterday. The current from the filter is pushing her around a lot because she is floaty and can't get away from it by swimming down. She also floats on her side a little bit sometimes. Her poos are super floaty too. There are no bubbles or anything, they just float. I hope this is all just because of the antibiotics! The good news is that her scales are perfectly smooth against her body now, and the white tuft things are totally gone. She also has a great appetite. Her tail fin is a little ragged along the edges today.

And this is an odd observation, but I wanted to see if it means anything to anyone. Her water used to have a very strong "fishy" smell (when she was dropsied and sick). I kind of associated it with bacteria in my mind. Now the water smells just like potting soil. :idont

..potted soil is a GOOD smell. Its the smell of good bacteria. the fishy smell is the smell of BAD bacteria. Trust me I sniff all my tanks on

a regular basis :D

Your plan for Fuu sounds good. I would think 6 days is PLENTY on the meds, the 5 day course I would have thought plenty actually since all antibiotic courses are based on a 2-3 inch fish similar size I imagine Fuu is .

Yeah, those tweaks of nitrite and ammonia will have her floaty especially since she has been sick. A cycled tank is the very best meds for her after antibiotics. Build her up with some of your good home gel food or a variety of different foods rich in vit C and then lets see how she is. If you have the Saki Hikari with probiotics- purple pack- those are great here too.

The Metromeds are a miracle combo ime for many common aquatic bacterial strains, still seem effective where others have become useless.. and theya re good to have on hold if she gets worse. Fresh cycled water and plenty of good food may be all that is needed to get her strength back though.

Haha, I sniff my tanks too! Cautiously of course, because I don't want the bubbler to splash me in the face :D That is really good to know about the soil smell. Fuu is about 4.5 inches, she is my smallest telescope currently. She used to be the biggest fish I ever owned, but Isis and Momo are now the biggest. :) I'll be sure to give her plenty of gel food and the Saki-Hikari too. I sure hope I don't need to medicate her again, because she's just been through so much.

Thank you for the offer Amy! I actually do have quite a lot of it still, since I starting feeding gel I haven't used it a whole lot. I am about to order the MetroMeds, would 8 oz. be enough?

This is the first time I've gotten a good look at her in the daylight for a while, and there is some type of bump on her side where the fluff/fuzz bump used to be. It is the same red color of her scales, but appears to be growing there and pushing the scales out of its way. It almost looks like a wart or something. Again it is coming out of her lateral line. What in the world?! Other than that and the floatiness, she looks and acts good. But what is this bump/wart thing?

IMG_6801.jpg

It's pretty much right in the middle of the photo, in the red area of her scales.

Edited by Sakura

Good pic. I see what you mean about the little lump (it is very small) and the small string of tiny dots alng the lateral line. I have seen this before. In fact my fish Trinket gets a line of pinprick white dots here occasionally. As long as Fuu is behaving well I would not do anything about this. This area is a common area for furuncles (small ulcers) BUT these are not ulcers. The small red lump looks to me like a focal color spot where a weak area has hypertrophied and color has intensified. The top is smooth so this is not a wart/lympho type growth. I would be surprised if it grows any more.

Since Fuu has been through some rough times and water it is only to be expected she/he will have some collateral damage. Her fins look so good and she is tough I would advice against doing anything at all for this at this point except keep an eye on it.

That bump looks strange, but it doesn't look infected or anything. Definitely keep an eye on it, though I'm sure you are. :)

Fuu is a really pretty fish! Such bright orange. How did you get her to let you hold her like that? My fish darts away whenever my hand goes in the water. Or anything for that matter, other than food!

Yeah today the bump has a little white dot on the tip of it, sort of like a whitehead. :doh11:

Thank you for complimenting my Fuu-bear! Her bright red color is part of what attracted me to buy her :) Ever since I got her she has been extremely docile and trusting. She was comfortable eating from my hand the first time I ever fed her, it just came naturally to her. She's really quite sweet. :heart

Okay guys sounds good. :) I have some HP on hand so I can swab that if I need to. I'll be out of town most of the day tomorrow, so I might have to do it the next day. Should I only swab it if it gets worse, or should I swab it even if it just stays the same- no change?