Sickly Fish

Sakura

I'm so sorry Sakura. :heart May I ask where in the US you are located? I could maybe help you find some Maracyn 2 if it would help (saw it in my local store not too long ago.) I could even mail it if need be (and would be more than happy to.)

Really hoping she gets through this...I am eagerly awaiting the day when she is swimming in the big tank with her new friends.

Hang in there Fuu!!!!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

sakura, i too am sorry to read fuu is still experiencing problems.. i hope the little darling is well soon.. how exhausting this is for the both of you.. big hugs and good luck. :heart

Thanks guys. Constance, that would be so awesome of you! Let me wait and see what Trinket thinks I should use (I'm going to PM her) and I'm going to check one more time at the stores around me for it and hope they might finally have it. Oh and I live in Minnesota by the way. :)

Poor Fuu. She is such a lovely fish and I do wish she would get better. I hope you get some good direction on what to try next soon (and I hope she perks up--and even more, I hope she beats this once and for all.) Fingers crossed.

Hi Sakura,

How is Fuu today?

It is possible that reducing salt concentration would help, she might have low tolerance to salt.

I've already stopped the salt since it's been a little over a week :(

She's still not doing well. I guess tomorrow I'm going to go out and get whatever meds I can find that I think might be helpful. :idont She is such a fighter, she just has to make it.

I've already stopped the salt since it's been a little over a week :(

She's still not doing well. I guess tomorrow I'm going to go out and get whatever meds I can find that I think might be helpful. :idont She is such a fighter, she just has to make it.

Maracyn Two, if I remember correctly, is gram-negative antibiotic, it could be that bacteria she has is gram-positive. May be regular Maracyn would do the job.

On the other hand, with the water changes it could be just that Maracyn Two did not reach right dosage.

When I was treating Kuzja with regular Maracyn I had to wait for close to 24 hrs from the time I added the meds and before the next water change so antibiotic would work.

I think Trinket opinion is needed here.

I'm so sorry Fuu is bottom sitting and seems poorly again. Before any meds it is really essential to have tank parameters as of now. Ammonia. Nitrite. Nitrates and pH.

We cannot guess. These have to be absolutely known before any meds are prescribed or added since each medication has a different level of acidity and other contraindications. I am sure you're params are fine Sakura, but we still need those numbers as of today.

She has been super sick like this for a couple weeks now. All the salt did was seem to make the white fuzz dots recede, but now she looks like she's on the verge of death. I feel like she's running out of time. Do you think she has some sort of bacterial infection?

PS I'm working on the params. I just rinsed the tubes and they're drying in front of a fan right now.

Sorry, I'm just super frazzled and have a lot being demanded of me all the sudden (it seems at least) now I think I would feel better if I had some idea of what's going on with her and how/if I can help her. :(

Hi Elena :) She is pretty much the same, no better no worse.

We're leaving for the cabin this morning, so I won't be around to give her any meds today or anything. :(

Hi Elena :) She is pretty much the same, no better no worse.

We're leaving for the cabin this morning, so I won't be around to give her any meds today or anything. :(

That's tough, I wish I could help somehow :heart

Well... we have dropsy :(

I just now noticed as I was checking on Fuu before going to bed. I had already ordered Maracyn and Maracyn 2 earlier today just in case I needed it, and I'm wondering if I should try either just Maraycn 2 again or both of them together. The dropsy has just started and it is right behind the gills on either side of her body. This is exactly how it started last time before it became full-blown dropsy. Last time it responded well to M2. I'm a little afraid that I stopped the treatment too early actually and this is the same thing coming back. Or maybe the underlying cause of the dropsy hasn't been addressed (parasites?). I treated her with Prazi yesterday just in case there was a flukes issue although really there shouldn't be. She has been Prazied quite a lot, but you never know. She is still bottom sitting all the time, with all fins very clamped and just generally looking really bad. I actually emailed Ken to let him know what was going on and I'm hoping he has some suggestions too. It just seems like her gills are bothering her because she breathes a little heavily when bottom sitting, and when trying to swim she gasps quickly and kind of backpedals in the water, then goes back to the bottom. But her gills don't look swollen or anything. I also have Jungle AP food coming so I can use that if I need to. Don't know if I can use it with Maracyn though. Or if I even need to use it for that matter. How do I check the inside of her gills? I'm really scared of hurting her by picking her up and prying them open, but I think it might be beneficial to see what's going on in there- if there's any discoloration or any strange dots. Whenever I have picked her up before she thrashes a lot and is hard to get a good handle on.

I'm really scared to test the water because I only have one set of test tubes. It's pretty obvious she has something really bad and I do not want to contaminate my other fish with whatever it is. I could bleach the tubes in between, but I just haven't set aside time for it so far. I just worry using bleach too, first of all I'm scared it won't kill everything, and secondly I'm scared I won't get all the bleach off! And it really stinks. I should just use a super heavy concentration and then let them air dry in the sun or something. Of course I'd still worry :rolleyes: So anyways, I've been dosing Prime every 12-24 hours and doing daily water changes as well. (Water is always temp and pH matched.)

I should also mention... yesterday she was eating fine until the last couple bites. With the last couple bites she took them in her mouth and then spit them back out. I just figured she had had enough or maybe she still had some in her mouth she was trying to chew.

AHA! I just took a closer look and I have found a small white dot on the inside of her lower lip. Below is a photo. I also got her to cooperate and got a pic of the inside of her mouth.

IMG_6521.jpg

IMG_6522.jpg

oh I am so sorry Sakura. Have you Jungled her yet? If the dropsy came back it could be she has inside parasites? as for testing the water the test tubes come in contact with water? I use syringes (they actually come with my testers) - you could use one for the main tank and one for her. Bleach I would be afraid that if you don't get it all out it might mess up your results...

I would personally just start with Epson and heat and Jungle.... see how that goes. the Prazi and other water meds you can take a break for a while - maybe they bother her (?) is she still nice and bright colored?

don't worry too much - maybe it is just something internal that you didn't kill off just yet...

as for the white spot personally I wouldn't worry - you can do a local swab disinfection - but I am always afraid to handle the fish... I think first treat the dropsy and then focus on the spot.... maybe some Melafix in the water....

good Luck! it's good you caught it early!

Sakura, I am sorry to hear that Fuu is dropsying now. I don't know anything about that, but just wanted to let you know fingers are crossed for Fuu.

[bTW I believe you can use prime to neutralize bleach--as it is chlorine, right? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think you if bleach your equipment and then treat it with prime --and rinse well, of course--you should have no lingering bleach problem.]

Sakura I'm so sorry about Fuu. She's such a fighter and I'm sure she'll make it through just fine with your care.

Also, have you broken down the tank after she got dropsy the first time?

Darn I was sorry to read this, I was hoping Fuu was slowly on her way to good health. :k055:

How is she today and have you heard from Ken yet?

As for testing the water as Federica mentioned you can pick up some sort of medicine dropper and get the water from his tank and into the tubes with that. As for the tubes themselves even if they don't come into contact with the tank water I always soak them in pure vinegar after I use them.

Have you already added epsom salt in her tank? If the dropsy is just starting it could be enough to stop it from progressing further.

Hang in there both of you. :heart

Nope, I haven't added anything to her tank yet. I thought about adding a heater, but that would just cause temp swings when I do water changes, so I don't think I can do that. I'll try to add some epsom today after her water change. And that is a good idea about the dropper. I'll just have to make sure the test tubes are dry first. I like to kind of rinse them in the tank water to make sure all the tap water is gone and doesn't throw the results. It's probably better to use a dropper anyways though just to make sure I don't get the chemicals in the tank (I do rinse the tubes really well though).

No response yet from Ken, I know he is really busy all the time :(

P.S. I wanted to add, I looked in one of her gills last night and I think it looked normal. I could see some white strips showing through behind the gill filaments, but I think that was her skin behind the gills because she's a mostly white fish.

Edited by Sakura

I just remembered you can buy extra test tubes on the internet but I think they come in packs of 24. Probably don't need that many. :D Anyway here is link to where you can find some.

http://www.horseloverz.com/Doc-Wellfishs-Test-Tubes-with-Caps---24-Pack-pr-169777.html

It's good that her gills are fine.

That's too bad about the heater though. What temp is her tank at and is it stable?

You can get API tubes at Pet Mountain-but you do have to get 24! But,then again I am on my 2nd pack of 24! You can NEVER have too many test tubes :testkit: