Sickly Fish

Sakura

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She looks not too bad at all. Is this her final home tank or do you have the fishless cycle one going for her soon?

Im so glad she is making progress.

Okay so Fuu is definitely doing better. She's not clamping her fins anymore, and she is not bloated or pineconed. But she is back to hanging out right at the surface almost constantly. She lets herself be pushed around slightly by the filter, and I'm just a little concerned. She just kind of hangs right below the surface with her dorsal sticking out a little bit. Once in a while I see her trying to gulp at the surface while hanging vertically in the water facing upwards. I really don't think there's a lack of oxygen in the water. It's at a temp of 75 degrees and I have a bubbler and a filter stirring the water surface.

What could be the reason for this behavior? Could this be caused by flukes at all? I noticed her do a couple of "yawns", nothing major, but I added a dose of Prazi just in case flukes are bothering her. I've given her a filter that should be cycled. It's a little sponge filter that I had sitting in my main tank while it was cycling. It's almost like she can't stay down, like she floats automatically. She sometimes swims down to the bottom and then rests, and when she stops swimming she floats back up to the top. Maybe she doesn't have control over her swim bladder? Or is that normal?

What were you feeding her Sakura? Was she just on medicated food, because that is guaranteed to make my fish float.

Also am wondering if she is not ready to go in the 55 unsure.gif . It is truly amazing how volume of good water alone is so healing. The QT looks like low water and rather tight...as QTs are.

Oh now right now she is in a 29 gallon tank all to herself Trinket and it's full to the brim now. Before it wasn't, but now it is and she's doing the surface hanging thing. :)

She has been on home-made gel food now for a few days. She's also swimming kinda strange, like she doesn't have good control. She tips over on her side and even upside-down when she tries to turn, so maybe she's just being affected by the processed pellet form of the medicated food still. Hopefully that's all it is. I just noticed her shake her head back and forth briefly. I've only seen her do it that one time. I'm taking that to mean she's probably feeling itchy from the flukes being irritated by the Prazi. Does that sound right?

Here's her tank as it is currently:

IMG_5673.jpg

(I filled it up and tried to make it more homey since she was feeling a bit better)

Edited by Sakura

Hi Sakura, is this new behavior or was it going on before you switched to gel food? I had major flippy/balance issues with my newer oranda and it got better once I stoped feeding commercial pellets, but not right away. I am not sure if this was because of the gel food mix I initially made (first Mazuri-stiil flippy--and then homemade--still flippy), or because it took time to clear his system. In the course of trying to make gel food adjustments, I took broccoli out of the gel food (learned it can make fish gassy) and also began to add acidophilus to it. Whether due to time or the newer recipe, he is MUCH better! Still flips sometimes, but not as much--nothing like before! (He did not hang out at the top, however, not sure what that's about--my fish do that sometimes, but like you, I have lots of oxygen in my tank, so I --rightly or wrongly--don't worry about it.)

Oh good question, let's see. She has not pooed in the last few hours, but she did earlier today. They seemed to be half inch to an inch in length and food colored. Previously though (in the last week) she had a lot of very long, stringy, clear/white poos. She hasn't had any of those today.

She might just be adjusting to her regular diet. When we use antibiotics we usually have digestive problems because the antibiotics destroy the good bacteria in our intestines, so I imagine it is the same thing with fish. It might just take her a few more days to settle. Did you use acidophilus in your gel food?

Yep, I used acidophilus. That should help right? Maybe I'll try a pea or two tomorrow. I'm probably just over-reacting but I wanted to be on the safe side just in case :)

Edited by Sakura

Thanks Shellbell, yeah Fuu sure is a fighter! After all this she really deserves to be healthy and happy for a long time.

Can anybody identify this white bump above her eye please? It is the same type of bump that she has had under her eye and on her flanks. Before it was a problem, so I'm worried that they are popping up again. She is swimming around better and with more control today, but still doing a lot of hanging at the surface and some gulping. It's a bit frustrating not knowing what's causing it. Do you think she is just looking for food maybe? I hand feed her at the surface, but only once a day. Would she really keep going up to the surface to look for food even though she should know that I only feed her once a day?

IMG_5717.jpg

The surface gulping is worrying me a lot, so I finally tested the water.

pH: 8.2

ammonia: 0

nitrite: 0

nitrate: didn't test because her water is totally new since yesterday, so can't be too high

Everything looks good, and it looks like that little sponge filter truly is cycled after all! So relieved that she finally has a cycled filter.

So here's what I have come up with- Possible causes for gasping at surface:

1. low oxygen

2. damage to gills from overuse of medication

3. pH crash

4. damage to gills from parasites

5. poor water quality

6. chlorine toxicity

Well it is not chlorine toxicity, pH crash, or poor water quality. I'm attempting to eliminate possible low oxygen by adding bubble wand. I have attempted to eliminate number 4 by treating with Prazi yesterday. Maybe I need to do another dose in a couple days? Or maybe I need to try salt next. That would be good since it would also improve oxygen uptake, right? Otherwise could be caused by overuse of medication damaging the gills? I know that Maracyn 2 is a little bit harsh, so it's possible? Plus, she was in water with trace ammonia while I was using the Maracyn 2. So it's possible, right? -sigh- At least she is finally in nice clean water, thank goodness I finally have a cycled filter for her. I'll report back tomorrow after the bubble wand has been in for a while.

Edited by Sakura

I got lost a bit on what your prazi routine with her was. I find that my fish either gulp because of flukes, but more often just because they are hungry. Tinman used to surface gulp and smack all the time at the surface. With extra feedings he really cut back on that behavior...he just was an enormous pig. It was a learned behavior because food came from the top. I always find that after medicated food I do a few days of peas and brine or bloodworms...it tends to help out constipation.

She looks so good!

From the pics you sent I can see gill nodules which will be the reason for the gulping at the surface.

You need to add salt asap. Slowly at 0.3% -this will help if its gill nodular disease or a strain of virulent parasites ..

From the pics you sent I can see gill nodules which will be the reason for the gulping at the surface.

You need to add salt asap. Slowly at 0.3% -this will help if its gill nodular disease or a strain of virulent parasites ..

Could you please elaborate on this Trinket? (I have an otherwise healthy surface-gulper too.)

Thanks for your reply Trinket! Although I'm having a hard time seeing the nodules on the gills. Can you point them out maybe? I think you may be just seeing the color of her gills, in person they're a little bit shiny (sparkly even, with little spangles) so I'm wondering if that might be what you're seeing? She doesn't have any bumps on her gills that look like the ones on other places of her body for sure. I just took a really close look at her to be sure, and I don't see any nodules on the gills. Did you mean that you see bumps inside the gills?

I think you're right that salting is a good idea though, because that might help any number of problems, right? Most importantly, she is eating and swimming around happily so that's good :D

DSCI0075circle.jpg

Yes I can see one large one quite clearly in this pic you sent me. Also severely damaged clogged lamellae inside the gill.

Oh thanks for showing me that. I believe the large, somewhat blurry white spot you are seeing is a piece of food floating in the water in front of her. However, I think I should do the salt treatment just in case because it can't hurt!

I want to look inside her gills, but I'm afraid of hurting her because I don't totally know what I'm doing and also she squirms a lot. :unsure: