Sickly Fish

Sakura

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Sending you and Fuu tons of hope.:heart :heart :heart Try the epsom at the dose of 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons and get the heat up to 80 degrees.

Oh, no. Something terrible is up. I thought you had sterilized your tank before the newbies came from Ken? Do you think Ken's source might have something going on? Have you called him? Fingers crossed for Fuu.

Yeah, I started fresh with everything before getting these fish. Ken said they were in perfect health before he sent them out, so it's a puzzle for sure. Although I've heard that the stress of shipping can be a good opportunity for bad bacteria to gain a hold, plus once they got here conditions were less than ideal because of the fluctuating pH issue I had at first. But if it's fish TB then I really don't know how they could've got that. I need to contact Ken again soon, but he is aware of the issues I'm having, and has offered to send a couple replacements if/when I'm ready. Which is extremely awesome of him.

I have to chime in and say there is no way this is TB. Fish TB occurs in unsanitary water conditions. It actually evolved in a lake outside a hospice in France where humans had TB and waste was being filtered out into the lake. It continued and evolved as an aquatic disease that is common in dirty ponds and really badly kept aquariums. I seriously doubt that fish from Ken would be infected with fish TB or that these bacteria could be picked up in a sterile environment as you prepared for them Sakura. Besides if the fish had TB from Ken, many of his other fish would now have it too and for sure he would know all about it.

It is more likely to me that as you say shipping stress and other factors compromised their immunity and the fish were at the mercy of other "opportunistics" that are in all water.

That is kind of Ken to replace the fish :)

Oh, really?! Thank you so much for sharing that Trinket, it's a huge relief that it's not fish TB. :) In that case, I don't think I'll start over on the fishless cycle of my main tank.

Update on Fuu: She is refusing to eat today. She will take the food into her mouth, but then spit it out without eating any. I did add the epsom salt, but tonight the scales seem to be sticking out more. I will just keep doing what I can to help her.

Next time she opens her mouth to eat, take a look and see if there is any fluff or swollen area inside the mouth. An internal flex infection can swell the fish with no external symptoms like this and sometimes you are able to see fluff, slimey strands or red or pink lumps inside the mouth.

The espom is good. So is stable temperature and stable pH. If stress initiates disease, de-stressing the fish is the best way to give the fish the best chance to fight back.

And on the TB...yeah, symptoms are shallow numerous often grey ulcers, clamped fins, wasting away -eventual C shape and tiny white nodules on the gills. But the lesions/sores on the body are the main symptom of fish TB as -unlike human chest focused...in fish it is a skin disease.

Well I checked in her mouth, which was easy because she's sitting still on the bottom and gasping or "breathing heavily" I guess you could say. There is nothing strange in her mouth; no fluff, bumps, or sores. It looks fairly normal to me. :hmm Also, she is still just as swollen and pineconed as yesterday, so far the epsom hasn't helped. :(

Edited by Sakura

Well today Fuu is worse. Bottom sitting like she can't get off the bottom, she won't eat anything, she is extremely pinconed, and she is breathing heavily. Epsom has not helped, and I just now added heat so we'll see if that helps. It only goes up to like 78-79 degrees though, so not perfect. She is looking really bad.

IMG_5516.jpg

Well I decided to start the maracyn 2 today... I hope that was an okay decision. I added a shot of Prime just before to try and offset any ammonia that may have built up, and I'll be doing a full water change later today. Fuu looks just terrible. :( I had to do something.

Just a little update. It's now day two or day three (shoot I can't remember!) of the Maracyn 2, and I think Fuu is feeling slightly better. She is slightly more responsive, and I've actually noticed some poos in her tank (she was not pooing before). She is still just as pineconed and bloated as before though. :( Should I just expect it to take some time for the dropsy to subside?

By the way, I have been keeping the tank fully covered, because I know the M2 degrades in light. Also the tank is being heated at about 78 degrees or so. I think I'll try feeding her today, and hope that she feels well enough to eat something.

oh i am so sorry this is happening to you! you are always so careful of your water quality! :sorry::

I had a fish recently pass after some various issues but when she was dropsied it always subsided about 12-24 hours after the addition of the Epson. its weird it doesn't seem to work with you... :o

i hope she will at least eat to keep her strength up...

poor thing

She's eating! And swimming around! And I think she might be slightly less bloated! Still very pinconed, but for the moment it seems as though things are looking up.

Medi-Gold, because that's what I was feeding her before. And I just realized... I hope it's okay that she is getting Medi-Gold antibacterial food AND having the Maracyn 2 in the water. :oops: What do you think? :unsure:

Jeez I hope I didn't just mess up by doing that.