Do Gf Eat Snails?

The snail we've had for a year in the upstairs tank is missing! His shell is lighter, can't see the snail in the shell, and he's nowhere floating around or in the rocks. Not in the filter or stuck to the filter intake.

Do goldfish eat snails? Blitzen's mouth is large enough to eat the lima-bean sized snail. Could Blitzen have torn him out of his shell? They've been coexisting for a least a year, until now :(

Hi Chrissy, hmmm yep I guess that could be a real possibility. Snelgrove was hanging out of his shell yesterday, not unusual but still notable, but by this morning he had tucked back in and we figured he was fine. He's given us a thousand scares like that. Maybe it really was the end this time :(

Guest Yankee Kwon

Yes!

I've seen my goldfish suck up little ramshorn snails, and I could actually hear him crunching through the shell!

I put the side of my head against the wall of the tank just to be sure, and yep, he was crunching!

Fancy or not, these fish let you know they are of carp ancestry.

wah, my goldfish have never done that. if anything, to the really small snails that produce randomly, but i have yet to see it happen. D:

I agree with jls25. I know at vvvvv they put larger goldfish in with the plants to eat the pest snails that crop up, but I've never heard of a goldfish eating an apple snail or anything "just because." Unless, of course it died.