Sign in to follow this  
Shapello

Help! Help! Help!

I just went downstairs to do a WC in my main tank and when i got downstairs there was water ALL over the floor!!

The seal on my tank split, there was less than 10 inches of water in the bottom of the tank and my fish were all gasping at the surface!!!

I don't know what I am going to do!!

So many things have been going wrong lately and this just tops it all off.

Please someone tell me what I should do!

I only have 1 other tank and it is a 10 gallon tank that is currently in storage.

What am I going to do??

Help please!!! cry3.gif

Yikes..messy messy...

I'd put the goldfish in the ten gal with whatever filter/airstone you have and can hook up.

It doesn't sound like a tank with a splitting seal is going to be a safe place for them.

Then drain the leaking tank for repairs and or look around for a new tank for the goldies.

Assuming your tank is glass, you'll want it drained and dry before you can start re-sealing with silicone.

Get a large rubbermaid. Remove fish. Fix tank or replace it ASAP.

Thank you for your reply.

My 10 gallon isn't cycled though so I'm worried about that.

I currently have them all in cups full of the water that was left in the bottom of the tank and put a squirt of stress coat in each.

I have a full set up for the 10 gallon but I am worried i will loose them because it is un-cycled.

I just got my cycle figured out on my 30 gallon, and this happens. UGH!

krazy.gif Also, I can get te tank fixed by tomorrow but then it will be uncycled...

So what in the WORLD do I do until my main tank is fixed and cycled??!

That is why I suggested a large rubber maid so you can use the filters on the 55 and keep them cycled while you spend the next 48 hours (to fix and let dry) the fish tank or get a replacement. (which could take longer)

I don't have a large rubbermaid tub I could put them in...

Go get one! Or mabye a nice big CLEAN garbage can.

I have no car and I live in the country.

I'm so screwed. :(

Naw just put your mind to work. How about your tub? And take the media out of the filters and put in the tub with the fish.

I found a large plastic bucket I can put them in?

It's about... maybe 20 gallons?

So I should take the filter cartridges out of my filter and put the filter in the bucket with just the biowheels in it?

Ya help save the BB's that way. And if you have gravel save some of it in some water too. Be sure to do lots and lots of water changes until the tank is fixed. Do you have an air stone and some way to cover it?

I don't have gravel, but I have some river stones that were in my tank before?

Will thoughs work just as well?

The only thing I can think of to use to cover the bucket is a place mat.

I can cut a space out of it to fit the filter in.

That well work. See told you if you think about it things would work out. So the fitler will fit on the bucket? That is even better.

Just remember to keep an eye on water with testing and don't feed the fish till they are back in big tank to help keep the water in good condition.

Don't worry about the rocks. Was just suggesting if you had gravel how to save some of the BB's in the gravel. The ones in your filter or filters should do the trick.

Okay, so I will clean the bucket and then put them in it. Should I clean the bucket with white vinegar first or just scrub it with hot water??

So because I have the bio-wheels, the tank will be instantly cycled when I fix it and put the filter back in it?

What used to be in that bucket? Make sure it wasn't anything toxic.

I got them in and set up. Elvis seems fine, Hikaru is darting around a bit and Picaso is sitting nose down on the bottom with his dorsal fin clamped.

I left the lights off downstairs for now to keep stress minimul.

You well need more then your biowheel to cycle the tank. Need to keep all the stuff in the filter in water as well. Also don't forget to test often and change water as needed.

This should work for short term. Also make sure they can't jump out.

I agree with what Hidr suggested?keep everything from the other tank, and keep it wet. This is what the good bacteria lives on.

I'm not sure how you were planning to fix the tank by tomorrow but no sealant can be cured that quickly. Even the fast curing ones still take a couple days before the tank can be filled with water. The pressure of the water will cause all tank walls to bow out, and the silicone will give out.

I don't trust re-siliconing tanks? I know it's hard but I would recommend just starting over with a new one. And I'm sure it's no consolation at the moment but try and get a couple extra tanks or the Rubbermaid that Hidr was talking about. Also keep a few extra air pumps on hands for emergencies like this.

I used to have a 100 gallon and several other tanks and always worried about this happening. If you ever buy used tanks, fill them with water for a few days (outside!) before using them for fish, just to test the seals.

Good luck and I hope tomorrow is a much better day!

I would get a rubbermaid container, they are not very costly. And, just my opinion, I would call some local fish shops to see if they know anyone that can repair your tank. I just wouldn't trust myself to fix it properly...but that's because I have never done it.

Just a note--if you are in a low humidity environment, the silicone will take longer to cure than what it says on the tube. So if you do try to fix the tank (if you think you'll be able to trust it again) be sure to do the recommended time, but also do the smell test before you fill it up and put fish in there. The vinegary smell should be gone when it is cured. If it still smells, best to wait. Hope everthing works out for you!