Sign in to follow this  
amynmitchell

New 40 Gallon Tank!

I've neve had a brand new tank before...all of mine have been used, which are great but there is something about a new tank. I decided to sterilize and sell the main tank. It was a 55 gallon acrylic hexagon tank and not at all ideal for goldfish. And it was so tall that I had to stand on a chair to clean it and still couldn't reach the bottom. With all of the recent work on the tank (trying and failing to hook up a uv), Fluval flooding the floor and trying to sterilize the tank, I realized how much I disliked that set up. So on a whim I decided to post it for sale for close to what I thought a new set up would cost.

It sold right away. So then I was deciding between two tanks. One was a 36 gallon bowfront on clearance at mmm for $35...seriously! That is insanely low. Of course the matching stand was $200. My problem with that set up was the open stand (I like my supplies hidden) and that it didn't come with a light fixture. I have a 20 inch 40 watt T-5, but it just wouldn't match the maple and is a little short for that tank.

So then I found a 40 gallon with a nice wood stand with a big lip on it (makes me feel like it is pretty earthquake safe since it is a glass tank, not acrylic), a light fixture and a canopy.

I finally, after many hours of breaking down and helping the people get the old tank out and putting it back together, got it set up.

Here it is:

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish014.jpg

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish020.jpg

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/amynmitchell/newfish017.jpg

Very nice Amy! Tinman looks so happy :)

Thanks! He is happy...swimming back in forth like he can't believe all of the swimming space.

Looks great!!!Congrats!!!! but the pic is a little small :(

Congrats.gif on the new tank. Your set up looks great!

Its just stunning Amy. Congratulations :bingo:. And I like the very fine layer of gravel it works great :heart

Looks great!!!Congrats!!!! but the pic is a little small sad.gif

I agree. Photobucket keeps making my pictures this size no matter what I do. I put the command to make them large and they always end up this size. Anyone know how to fix this?

Its just stunning Amy. Congratulations bingo.gif. And I like the very fine layer of gravel it works great heartpump.gif

Thanks, Imo! I finally got the right amount of gravel...of course, part of me is still considering removing it all together but I'm going to leave it for a bit while I get the cycle strong again.

That's a very nice looking set-up. Good choice :D

Congrats on the new tank, Amy! It really looks fantastic. I'm so envious of that beautiful wood canopy! I've always wanted one of those.

I love the canopy, even though it means I'll have to tank it off to clean the tank well. My only worry is that I noticed the light gets really hot under the canopy. I'm not crazy about that, but maybe I'll eventually get a fan under there. Thanks!

Me likey! Yeah, those canopies can be a bit of a hassle, but they sure do look nice!

BTW, what kind of doll is that in your avatar? She's kind of creepy in a cute way. :)

When we were in Japan there was this whole doll show and this one was the goldfish doll. If you look closely you can see that she is walking goldfish on leashes.

Oh neat! It's kinda hard to tell from my Blackberry. That's so cool!

It was easier to see in person. Oh, well. Still pretty cool!

Whoa! That is SO nice! Great decision on your part, and nicely played selling the hex for nearly the same money.

If that tank is 36" long and more than 13" front to back, I've got a brand new 3D background I think you'd love.

Re: the photobucket resizing issue. Try resizing your photos to 800 pixels wide and then loading them to photobucket. That should keep them from getting resized, and still make them really big on this forum. And.....use the IMG url code that photobucket gives you and that will post them automatically here.

Thanks! It is really great to have a new tank and the fact that I can actually touch the bottom is beyond nice.

Does the background fit inside or outside the tank? I painted to blue on the back so that isn't coming off, but I am curious about your 3-d background...especially if it is one of those cool rock ones. I don't know the size of the tank, but it is a standard 40?

Okay, I am going to try that on my photos because it is so annoying.

Thankswink.gif

These backgrounds go inside the tank and are 3D enough that all your gear can fit behind them. If you go to the Aqua Terra website you can see installation examples, and How-To's. They're easily cut and shaped to fit the size of your tank and fit how you want your gear to function.

CanyonBackgroundfrontview.jpg

CanyonBackground.jpg

CanyonBackgroundtopview.jpg

I'm in the middle of installing one in the new vintage tank I'm setting up. It's 4' long and I'm looking forward to seeing it underwater for the first time in a few more days!

I do love that. Where do you put your intake and outtake tubes so they can still work (do you but holes out for them)? I'm headed out of town for work, but I'll measure my tank size. Do you silicone it in place? How much do they run?

Very cool!

Just occured to me that I should go to Tetra's website instead of asking you a ton of questions...sorry! I'll check them out for sure and I would love to see pictures once you get yours installed.

Edited by amynmitchell

Yes, you silicone it in place. I prefer the black Dow Corning 795 Building Sealant and it's what was used to build the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Disneyland's water rides, and a slew of other similar places.

You want to go to Aqua Terra's website. These have nothing to do with Tetra.

As far as your equipment, it depends on how you want it set up and what you're using. But using a box cutter, you can cut intake vents in the bottom, and outlet openings in the top, and then coat the openings with the black 795 so they blend with the rock look, and even put plastic mess screen over the openings if you're making them large enough that the fish my get into them. Plenty of instructions and How-To's online because these are the backgrounds of choice for all the Cichlid lovers.

I'd like $90 for this one, which is a killer deal.

Oh, cool. I'll have to think about it since I just spent so much on the tank...but that is a good deal for sure! Thankswink.gif