Sign in to follow this  
bberyy91

Food And Temperature

i have 2 goldfish, and they keep on coming up to look for food, especially when i feed them, they come up many many more times. i know its not good to over-feed them, and the people i bought them said to feed them once everyday i believe. and why do they go crazy over the pellets rather than the plant i have inside for them?

i also have a light, and it seems as the water is getting a little warm, where the temp. should not be. i know its good to use a light so it simulates day, but in this case, what would you do? how do you lower the temperature?

also, how many times (and how much) should i feed them? once a day? i heard 2-3 times a day, or however much they can eat in 2 mins... i was told 4-5 pellets/each fish, and once a day.

Definitely do not feed more than once a day. If you want to feed only a pellet each (depending on their size) you can do that once in the morning and once at night, but most of us don't have the time to do that. Mine get fed once a day, and get fasted about twice a week.

As for the light being on, how long are you leaving it on? What is the temperature of the tank? Is it a fluorescent light or an incandescent bulb? Incandescents put off a ton of heat and I don't like using them. You shouldn't leave the light on for more than about 10 hours a day, but that's only for fluorescent lights.

I agree, don't feed more than once, or if you do, cut the portions in half.

As for why they like the pellets more than the plant...the pellets taste better :)

Definitely do not feed more than once a day. If you want to feed only a pellet each (depending on their size) you can do that once in the morning and once at night, but most of us don't have the time to do that. Mine get fed once a day, and get fasted about twice a week.

As for the light being on, how long are you leaving it on? What is the temperature of the tank? Is it a fluorescent light or an incandescent bulb? Incandescents put off a ton of heat and I don't like using them. You shouldn't leave the light on for more than about 10 hours a day, but that's only for fluorescent lights.

they are about 2.5 in. long. isn't one/each one like nothing? and are they generally shy? because the one is fine, but the other, whenever i try to look at him, swims in the opposite direction. sorry for the general questions... just got them a few days ago, and am trying to learn as much as possible about them.

and is red leaf lettuce good for them (i heard somewhere) and brine shrimp a good treat for them?

I give mine two small feeds twice a day. In the morning gel food, in the evening a 'treat' (but healthy) food like some bloodworms, a lettuce clip, a little (and I mean very very little! Don't want too much protein) piece of well cooked chicken or alittle fish, an algae wafer, a bit of duckweed, alitle egg, etc. My guys are fed a primarily veggie based gel food (3/4 veggie based, 1/4 insect and fish based) hence I like to give them some variety in the afternoon.

For each inch of fish (excluding tail) I feed about one cubic cm of gel food. It would be much less for something like a pellet, as gel food has alot of water (and hence less nutrition per gram due to dilution) then a good quality pellet, being a dry food. Therefore more gel food is needed to give them the same nutrition. However, that means alot more food in the intestinal tract, not necessarily a good thing (and that is why I divide my meals into two). All foods have their pros and cons though. :)

I'd go with one decent meal a day, or two meals half the size of the 'one a day' meal. Two smaller meals are better then one big one for my fish, but it really boils down to what is convenient for you and what works for your fish.

I give mine two small feeds twice a day. In the morning gel food, in the evening a 'treat' (but healthy) food like some bloodworms, a lettuce clip, a little (and I mean very very little! Don't want too much protein) piece of well cooked chicken or alittle fish, an algae wafer, a bit of duckweed, alitle egg, etc. My guys are fed a primarily veggie based gel food (3/4 veggie based, 1/4 insect and fish based) hence I like to give them some variety in the afternoon.

For each inch of fish (excluding tail) I feed about one cubic cm of gel food. It would be much less for something like a pellet, as gel food has alot of water (and hence less nutrition per gram due to dilution) then a good quality pellet, being a dry food. Therefore more gel food is needed to give them the same nutrition. However, that means alot more food in the intestinal tract, not necessarily a good thing (and that is why I divide my meals into two). All foods have their pros and cons though. :)

I'd go with one decent meal a day, or two meals half the size of the 'one a day' meal. Two smaller meals are better then one big one for my fish, but it really boils down to what is convenient for you and what works for your fish.

bloodworms won't harm them, right? they are non-biting is what i guess i'm getting at.

You can buy freeze dried or frozen blood worms in most pet stores :)

ok. so when i bought my goldfish, i was told that one was female and one was male, although they said it was hard to determine since they are so young. first of all, how can you tell if they are female/male? i forget which one is which :( also, the gold one is very brave and hyper, and likes the front of the tank, and all of the attention. the other one with some white likes to stay in the back, and does not care much when i try to look at (her?). she seems a lil more shy. would you say, by all of this, that the gold one is male, and the one with some white is female?

You can't go by character unless they're in breeding mode to determine gender, my female oranda is the shoviest nosey fish I've ever seen. If you have a look at your fish's bottom by their rear fins under their tail, if there is a small nub sticking out then you've got a girl, if it's completely smooth it's a boy. Boys will also get white grains like salt or sugar on their gill plates and along the front of their front fins when they're in breeding mode, they're called breeding stars. If you see them anywhere else then there's a possibility it's ich which you want to avoid, just something to be aware of. It's harder to tell when the fish are smaller but yours sound like they might be big enough to tell. If you just go by nub/not it's not 100% accurate, some people have been convinced they've had a male fish and then it's dropped eggs all over the tank.

What kind of fish do you have (one tail or two) and what's your setup like? If your tank's too small it might explain why one of your fish is shy, the active one will be fighting for as much space as possible and the other will just hide. Some fish are just shy though, make sure there's hiding places, I like to use big mugs, and hopefully your shy one will settle. One of my fish had 2 weeks where she spent nearly the entire time in a plastic cocktail shaker before she came out her shell.

Edit: with regards to temperature increases from lighting the main issue with this is oxygen content. Warmer water contains less oxygen so an airpump is more important. My lights keep my tank at 26'C when my heater's only set to 22'C. The fish are fine and active and I have a 2' bubble wall along the back. I'm planning on adding more aeration when I get another pump. What sort of temperature is your tank at after the lights have been on a while?

mine is around 75 degrees.

and wow, the one that is more active is a girl.... thanks. lol

Edited by bberyy91

i just keep it on in the morning for a few mins. then at night.

how would i lower the temp if its at 76/77? would i just have to cool the room? i do not have any direct sunlight on them.

i just keep it on in the morning for a few mins. then at night.

how would i lower the temp if its at 76/77? would i just have to cool the room? i do not have any direct sunlight on them.

76-77 is perfectly fine for them -- no need to try to lower it. In fact, some folks on here use heaters to deliberately keep their temperature in the 75-77 range (I'm one of them).

I was testing my tank temperature while doing a water change today and my tank's sitting at 81'F which is tropical temperatures! I don't have a heater on my tank at the moment, that's just from two fluorescent bulbs on for a long time. You just need to make sure you have aeration with warmer water, in terms of metabolism it's actually beneficial because the food passes through them quicker and they're less likely to get constipated.

ok. so i have a plant that they can graze on, and i got two goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, the water filter, and the warm water. since the water is warmer, and these other factors apply, do you think i should still buy an aerator (or air rock)?

You should definitely buy an aerator. You're also going to have to look for a bigger tank...do you have single-tailed goldfish or double-tailed (fancies)? The fancies need 10 gallons each and the single-tails 20 gallons each. This is due to the massive size they get to and the amount of muck they produce, the volume of water helps dilute the waste down so it's less likely to reach toxic levels as quickly and also prevents the fish getting stunted, which has its own health implications.

Is your filter new? Do you have a water test kit? You will need to test your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates regularly, and do water changes of about 70% at least once a day while your tank is cycling. This might also explain why one of your fish is quiet, they can get quite stressed during cycling and many fish just hide or sit on the bottom of the tank.

Sorry for the mass of questions!

the pet store recommended veggie foods since they are not much meat eaters, and since it helps to prevent swim bladder. i heard that swim bladder paralysis results from constipation. but i also know that a clean, healthy environment and tank can help prevent it. should i buy the veggie pellets?

Small fish need protein to grow, any high quality sinking pellet is fine, I feed mine Saki-Hikari but Hikari Lionhead, Pro-Gold and New Life Spectrum are also recommended on here. Goldfish also love bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia, all of which you can buy frozen from most fish stores. Goldfish are omnivores and should be fed as such, they will not thrive on a purely vegetable diet but nor should they be fed on lots of protein. Variety is the spice of life!

why do you say 'sinking'? is it because of the air that they take in along with the food?

and they told me to feed them every other day so they do not crap too much in the tank, and so it is more clean. does this sound right?

Yes, sinking food stops them taking in air and it also stops them going to the top looking for food. Taking in air can cause swimbladder problems and is all in all not very good.

I feed my fish small amounts twice a day, but the amount depends on your tank. If you're cycle is new, as I suspect yours is, and your tank overstocked then feeding less can really help control the amount of waste, but if you're not feeding enough then your fish won't get the right nutrition. It's finding the balance.

it is new. and how would i get the pellets not to float? i have already opened them, so i don't think i'd be able to return them... :/

Try soaking the pellets in a spoonful of tank water before you feed your fish.

it is new. and how would i get the pellets not to float? i have already opened them, so i don't think i'd be able to return them... :/

Just soak the pellets in a cup of tank water for a few minutes, they will absorb water and will cause them to sink to the bottom of your tank. You can do this also with flake food so it sinks to the bottom.

-Dennis

it worked with the flakes, but the pellets, which they say are the floating type, will not sink. i tried soaking them for a bit in the water, but they still wanted to float... any ideas? thanks.

What I used to do with Hikari Oranda, which is another floating pellet, is I used to soak them for about 20 minutes, they went all squishy and sank to the bottom, and I used to make sure I released them under the surface so they got caught by the filter and sprayed across under the water so the fish could get them without going to the surface. Something else you can try if the pellets are big enough to hold is hand feeding, but you should still soak them, they float because there's air in them.

Soak floating pellets, then squeeze the air out of them as you drop them in. They'll sink just fine.