Sign in to follow this  
Lizaragon

Beautiful Black Scaled Goldfish Turns Orange?

OK, we decided to add a pair of goldfish to our 2 existing fish. We selected from a pet store where the fish were approx. the same size and seemed calm. One of the fish we choose had beautiful black and orange scales, appropriately named him Pepper. The other had black trim on his tail, that fish (we are calling Lucky). Just recently Pepper lost almost all of his black coloring and is now orange with a white belly. Still learning about goldfish. Did we buy a sick fish? Why did he change colors. He doesn't seem sick?

it is natural for goldfish to change color in teen years

Goldfish change colour quite a lot in their first 2-3 years, and black in particular is very unstable, which is why a lot of show fish with black colouring are kept in outdoor ponds as the sunlight helps to retain the colour. It's nothing to worry about and there's nothing you can do about it, even if you buy what looks like a fully grown adult fish you can't guarentee it'll keep its colouring. Orange, white or some calicos are the most stable colours.

And heres a picture of Elvis with his black markings- bought April 2009 :heart

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd97/FiksMay/S1050827.jpg

Elvis during the change about 2-3 months later :heart

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd97/FiksMay/S1051185.jpg

Elvis as he is now :heart

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd97/FiksMay/S1050913-1.jpg

so its all normal :)

I think black (or even black markings) are very desirable and unfortunately the LEAST likely to stay!!

I was SO excited to find a Black Oranda (my DREAM goldie) at a local fish store. I named him Ozzie!

fsh-17.jpg

Soon the black began to fade to a very nice Chocolate Brown (probably my 2nd choice Dream goldie!!) I was STILL very happy! Now I am noticing most of the brown is turning a very pretty golden color......so I have NO IDEA what color Ozzie will end up BUT he IS & always will be adored!!

Fish-001-1.jpg

The best thing is to find a HEALTHY goldie that you really like then sit back and WATCH THE SHOW!! LOL!!

Thank you everyone that replied. Glad to hear that my fish is not ill. He is still cute, but no black on him at all now. My dd thinks we should rename him (from pepper) to salty, especially since his belly is white! It's like getting a brand new fish, since he (or might be a she) looks completely different. I'm wondering if his belly will change colors later too? Will my other solid orange color fish change? Wow, these fish are just so amazing!

Sometimes orange fish change, you can just never tell with goldfish. I have an orange fish that is in the process of turning white right now :P

Also remember goldfish can get ammonia burns. Making them have a false black coloring to them. But this is also healing so its not sick :)