Sign in to follow this  
waterfaller1

Show Quality Vs Pet Store Juvenile

Hello, I have been watching an auction for the last couple of weeks. I would like to know what makes a fish 'show quality'? Is it the size? And how old is a goldfish when it is 4-5"? Is it impossible to find a young fish at a 'big box store' with the potential to grow to show quality? There are no stores in this area that would have a fish this size.

Show quality fish are determined by certain standards, all fins must be paired and symmetrical (for fancies) and there are standards for height compared to body length etc, you can usually find conventions online somewhere, I know Bristol Aquarist Society has them online, and the standards are different for each type of goldfish, a ryukin has different standards to a pearlscale.

It is possible to get a tiny pet store fish and they grow into a beauty, see Hidr's Micah for example in her latest photo thread, but usually if you look you can see why the fish are in the pet store instead of being shown etc, the most common flaws are single anal fins, kinked tail fins and scale damage.

You can't really tell the age from the size too easily, it depends a lot on genetics and how the fish have been raised, diet and water being absolutely key. I think all my fish are about the same age and two are 4" in body and one is about 1.5", I actually think the smallest one might be the oldest of the three and he's only starting to shoot up in size since I started him on gelfood.

It is not impossible to grow out big beautiful fish from a pet store, all mine are pet shop fish and I love them, I don't think I'd love them more just because they came from an auction. If you are wanting to show your fish you are more likely to get a show quality fish from an auction or breeder but it's not guarenteed.

yeah.gif Can't believe my Micah is being used as an example. But I did get lucky with him. But I also have a fish that is not the great but I knew it when I bought him.

Honestly being a layman only difference I see in a lot of "show" fish is price. lol But I do know as with any pet you have to be careful who you buy the so called "show" fish from. Cause yep people well lie to you to get that extra dollar.

I for one wont spend all that money for a show fish cause I don't show. But I have spent 100 a couple times for nice pet fish just cause I liked them.

Pet store fish are culls from breeders' show quality fish. In a batch of 100 fry, you'll get maybe 2 or 3 fish with the potential to be show quality. I have found several very nice pet store fish. I bought them as juveniles and was pleasantly surprised at how nice they turned out. I've had several others who never did much, but were really pretty pet fish. At the moment I have a kind of funky looking fantail that's adorable but would never win any prizes, and a long-bodied oranda who never quite got his wen!

The best bet for buying show quality fish is getting them online or from a reputable breeder. They are usually large, since the breeder will have already weeded out lesser-quality fish. I bought some very nice fish from Dandy Orandas years back, and I know several members on here have bought from Goldfish Connection and other online sellers. Even if you don't have the money, check out some places and you can get an idea of what high-quality fish look like, and what prices you would be paying for them. :)