Sign in to follow this  
Dellop5

Diy Sponge Filter

Heres a diagram of the sponge filter i tend on making...

Spongefilter.jpg

the sponge used is an aqua clear 500 filter replacement and everything else i use is made from stuff purchaced at my LFS. will this work well ? i will post pictures when it is complete and hopefully it will work well. its a pretty easy project but i really would like to make it for the heck of it =)

i made this buy cutting out a hole in the center almost all the way down but not all the way threw then drilling a small hole for the airline tube threw the bottom/side of the filter. then i fed the airline tube threw and attached the airstone/air diffuser. then put the 1 inch tube down the center of the sponge. hopefully this will drawl enough air out to make enough suction to create a decent bio filter, thats all im trying to get out of it =) of course the airline is connected to an air pump. will this work? well? thankyou

Edited by awesomegold

Look's good! Good luck, hope it works! Have fun :)

Is this additional filtration or is it going to be the sole filtration? Bubbler pumps are great for a secondary filtration but are pretty poor when it comes to the primary one. Do you know what the PPI for that sponge is (pores per inch) If it's tightly packed with a high PPI the bubbler pump may have to work extra hard for it which will burn in out faster or it may just not work. There are a few other considerations IF it will be the primary filtration system. If it's secondary you don't have to delve that deeply into it.

Is this additional filtration or is it going to be the sole filtration? Bubbler pumps are great for a secondary filtration but are pretty poor when it comes to the primary one. Do you know what the PPI for that sponge is (pores per inch) If it's tightly packed with a high PPI the bubbler pump may have to work extra hard for it which will burn in out faster or it may just not work. There are a few other considerations IF it will be the primary filtration system. If it's secondary you don't have to delve that deeply into it.

yess it is going to be secondary basicly just for a bio filter =)