Sign in to follow this  
Dellop5

Low Ph

I heard that if you use crushed sea shells or coral that it will get minirals into the water and help Ph rise. but the problem is idk what to get. at the pet store they sell crushed coral and shells in pre packaged bag. it looks like its for marine tanks..obviously but! i wanna know if this is what i use? will they not work cause its for marine tanks? or does it matter and can it be used in my goldie tanks?

Since they have crushed coral this is what I would get. (I use shells cause none of the pet shops here carry the coral.) And it well work just fine.

ahh thank you =) so it does help raise Ph?

Yes, it acts as a buffer by raising kH, which in turn can raise your pH and hold it steady. Do you know what your kH and pH are now?

Yes, it acts as a buffer by raising kH, which in turn can raise your pH and hold it steady. Do you know what your kH and pH are now?

my Ph really dropped cause of my other fish dieing so ive been testing it and its around 6.0 or something and i need it to get back up there since my oranda is still in the tank. it prly went down cause of all my water changes i did since he died =( i dont have a Kh testor at the moment so im not sure what it is sorry

Don't be sorry. But 6.0 is waaaay too low! :(

What is it out of your tap?

Don't be sorry. But 6.0 is waaaay too low! :(

What is it out of your tap?

wow i never checkd my Ph in tap..just did its about 7.3-7.5 >.> why is my tank sooo loww!? i use an API Ph tester kit blue is higher ph and yellow is low and its comming out dark yellow. uh ohh >.<

I would guess it's because your kH is very low, so the pH is unstable and susceptible to crashing (I am in the same situation with my water).

For now crushed coral will help, but it does wear out over time and you can't get exact results with it - you don't know how effective it will be. I really recommend a product called 'buff it up' that you can order from goldfishconnection.

Here's some really good info on kH and pH http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/65745-ph-kh-problems/

I would guess it's because your kH is very low, so the pH is unstable and susceptible to crashing (I am in the same situation with my water).

For now crushed coral will help, but it does wear out over time and you can't get exact results with it - you don't know how effective it will be. I really recommend a product called 'buff it up' that you can order from goldfishconnection.

Here's some really good info on kH and pH http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/65745-ph-kh-problems/

ahh thank you so much =) ill get some coral then =)

hey are oyster shells good to put in the water or are they diffrent?