Goldfish Eggs?

Guest snipbean

Guest snipbean

I just realized recently that my goldfish chasing the other one around so much was mating! Im wondering what goldfish eggs look like so i can know to take them out so that they wont eat them. Also, where do they normally release their eggs? I have an undergravel filter and im worried that the eggs will just slip through to the vents as not all of the filter is covered in gravel in some areas.

Goldfish eggs are very small and white, they tend to stick to everything (decorations, plants, ect.). Your filter will probably remove a lot of them. I have never kept eggs myself, but I would imagine you could remove them with a turkey baster or take out whatever it is they are stuck on to. As for where the fish release their eggs....everywhere! They just kind of spray them out.

This thread has a lot of info http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22931-breeding-goldies/

Eggs are very sticky. They will stick to nearly the first thing they encounter. Your underground filter will pull them down faster to the bottom, where they will stick on the stones. Some will slip between the stones and get stuck on the filter grate. Others will cover plants and other decorations in the tank. Any eggs that are accessable to the fish will get eaten. They are REALLY good protien - and one of the best ways of rebuilding a female fish's strength following egg release.

Eggs are also VERY messy - the fish release a lot of waste when spawning. If you notice that they have done this in your tank, test it and clean it. I can usually smell when I have had a successful spawn in the tank. It REEKS.

I have seen koi and a few large single tail goldfish kept in large "ponds" - several hundred gallon tubs - that get so rambunctius during breeding that eggs are thrown up, out of the tub. I have seen eggs glopped onto the side of a barn, slopped onto the ground outside the tub and can tell a very amazing story of a friend that got hit with a huge slap of wet, sticky, stinky eggs when walking past a tub of breeding koi. Eggs can be very messy.

You will know them when you see them. Unfertilized eggs are almost a glowing yellowish in color. Fertilized ones are usually a soft white. Unfertile eggs after a few hours turn a cloudy white color. They are the size of the little colored chocolate sprinkles people put on doughnuts or icecream.