Planning To Buy A Driftwood

pacman

what should be looked or know about or how to choose a driftwood.

a local pet store near our house sell driftwood for aquarium it costs 2$ each about fair size..

is driftwood have benefits? o negative or bad effect on aquarium.. need help..

what should be looked or know about or how to choose a driftwood.

a local pet store near our house sell driftwood for aquarium it costs 2$ each about fair size..

is driftwood have benefits? o negative or bad effect on aquarium.. need help..

I have heard/read differing opinions on this. I know some members here have driftwood in their tanks,and it looks beautiful. I have 2 small pieces myself,with anubias attached to them-and have searched for more b/c I think it can look awesome. On the other hand,when something has been amiss in my tank,I've had the pros ask me,"You don't have driftwood in there,do you?" I cannot tell you the specific ill effect it may or may not have but I do know that any wood you introduce needs to be soaked in water for about 2 weeks before adding it to your tank-so that all of the tannins(?) can leach out first. I think there is more info on this in 1 of the forums here,and someone will surely come along that can tell you the specifics of the effect.Good luck to you.

so it's a long process.. if i soaked it with boiling water, will it fasten the cleansing process?

how days/ weeks is the most advisable to be soaked before adding in my aquarium/tank..

I have mopani driftwood in my tank, I soaked it in a plastic drawer with water for about 10 days, after a week it had gone really really brown but when I changed the water hardly any brown-ness came out, so I changed the water a few more times and tipped several kettles of boiling water over it before tying java ferns on it and putting it in my tank. I've not had any issues with it and it's been in there 2 months now but it did tinge my water faintly brown/green, you could only see it when you looked down the length of the tank or took a jug out though. I can't tell anymore whether it's there or not as I suspect I have green water starting, slight clouding and greeny colour...

• 2 months later...

I hear natural driftwood is great in soft/acidic tanks for Amazon fish but I was always reticent to use it with Goldfish or Cichlids which prefer hard/basic water. Even if the wood is properly treated it may leach some tannins, possibly staining the water brownish, and depending on your tank's buffering capacity, may lower the pH. So for my Goldfish tank, I just bought imitation resin casted driftwood. It looks pretty real, especially with the thin layer of algae, and I've successfully attached Java Ferns and Anubias to some of the textured surfaces. I just had to rubber band the root clusters to the wood until they anchored.

The general procedure for preparing driftwood for aquariums is to A) soak, and B) use hot water. Depending on type of driftwood you get, it often needs soaking so it sinks. And soaking helps get the initial tanning and impurities out as devilduck described. How long will depend on the piece you get. Hot water helps disinfect the piece, some boil it in a big pot, others pour hot water over it, and also speeds up the soaking process. Small amount of tanning will continue to leach out in your tank which may or maynot be noticeable, and yes, it has a potential to lower your pH as WalpigrsNM mentioned.

I'd recommend you find out if you have hard or soft water in your area. If your water is harder with good readings of general and carbonate hardness (GH/KH, carbonate hardness is also referred to as buffering capacity) you will be fine with driftwood, and it will even be beneficial in keeping the water chemistry balanced. But if you like to use driftwood in soft water, it will require a bit more of careful planning, which may include having to add other items to counteract the acidifying effects of driftwood. Hope this helps!

Liek everyone else said, driftwood can look beautiful in a tank, but it can definitely leech tannins into the water and mess with your PH. I made the mistake of getting some without researching first and it ruined the color of my water. :rofl Even with a good soak it can STILL leech and mess with your PH.