Vintage 75 Gallon Metaframe Aquarium

I love it :) How awesome is your Tank :) I bet everyone who walks in your house is so Impressed!!!You did a great job!!!The Fish look very Happy :) I also love the Background!! It Really Rocks!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks you guys!

Our house was featured on a home tour last weekend, so the fish had 250 visitors in 4hrs. They, and the tank, were very well received.

I'm going to be selling the vintage 55 with it's metal stand and some other vintage goodies that came with it originally if anyone's interested. My shipping buddy will be here in about 2-3 weeks so I can get it shipped safely to you, on the cheap. He runs OH to CA and back, and then sometimes goes further east, or south.

this is a very interesting thread. i've always been into vintage tanks as i have many vintage fish keeping books. are they difficult to find?

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd check back in and give a little update on the fish and the tank.

All 3 fish are growing and doing fine. I'm able to go 3 weeks between water changes, which to me is fantastic considering that just a few months ago, I was changing the water every day. The water is staying crystal clear with the Fluval 405 w/ spray bar.

The picture below was taken by my brother's sports/helmet cam. He has a waterproof housing for it, so we mounted it to a little nylon tripod and sat it down in the tank letting it take a photo every 2 seconds.

IntankPhotoresized.jpg

That is good to hear, and it's so cool that you got a photo from inside the tank! I would love to be able to do that!

But you know, it's really not a good idea to go three weeks between water changes... They need to be done weekly (50%) to keep nitrates down, but also to remove the growth-inhibiting hormone and to lessen the load of bad bacteria in the tank. :)

You did a fantastic job restoring this aquarium.

Brings back many memories for Me( I got My first aquarium about 1960 when I was 6 years old)

I remember when the all glass aquarium came out,and I was leary of those things without a frame for support.

I allways thought it would be nice to have one of these from the turn of the century

I should fire up the welding rig and make one.

http://www.victoriana.com/Furniture/antiqueaquarium.htm

Heres another style

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/11/20/cool-bronzed-antique-aquarium-stand-1920s/

Edited by Garibaldi

Just FYI, I keep an eye on the water params and after 3 weeks I still had zero for Ammonia and Nitrites, and Nitrates were 40PPM.

Nitrates at 40 is pushing it. You really should strive to keep them under 20 at all times. But even if the params look good, weekly water changes need to be done to remove the growth-inhibiting hormone and also the accumulation of bad bacteria from the water. The gravel also needs to be stirred up weekly to discourage anaerobic (oxygen deprived) pockets from forming, which lead to an excess of bad bacteria that cause nasty infections. Just trying to help you out. :)

Sorry, don't mean to sound like I'm arguing the point with you. I appreciate all the advice I receive here.

I've not read anywhere that 40PPM NitrAte is excessive. The gravel does get a full vacuum during each water change, and I'm changing about 80% of the water, along with cleaning the glass, plastic and real plants, and the petrified wood. So far, not one health issue, even when one or more of them have become injured from playing rough or blasting around inside the tank. We've had a few split Caudal's, and dorsals, scales knocked off, and the Comet below skinned a long section out of his forehead a few months ago while zipping round at warp III. All have healed perfectly, and they even grow back the scales they lose.

Again, I appreciate your input, and I'm not saying I'm "doing it right" or that what I'm doing is "The way" to do it. Just describing what's working for me. I'm also way under filtered if you go buy the rule of 10gph per gallon of tank. I'm only at 340gph and I should be up at double that, right?

Here's a shot of our original Comet:

IntankPhotoaresized.jpg

Edited by austinado16

The 3 photos I've just posted were taken from inside the tank, underwater, using my brother's helmet/sports cam that he has a water housing for. We just set it to take a picture every 2 seconds, dropped it in the tank and let the fish swim around it. Unfortunately, they were not digging it, and stayed at the other end of the tank almost the entire time.

The other photos, posted earlier in this thread were taken with my Canon 50D and probably either my 28-70mm F/2.8 L glass, or my 50mm F/1.4 prime. Using that camera, I can set the ISO up really high, still have a fast shutter speed to stop fish motion, and be able to shoot in the natural light of the tank.

But yes, the front glass is clearer because it's "Starfire" and not just standard plate glass. That, and my water really is that clear all the time.

In general though, I think taking pictures of fish in the tank is really tough. The combination of the lighting, and their speed, along with having to shoot through glass, makes for a tough time with the camera.

I wonder if a faux chrome look could be applied to a regular tank? I looked at my tank and I have clips that hold the filter hoses really tight and they would probably ruin the faux surface, what ever it is made of.

I only have a top and bottom frame but none on the sides.

I'm thinking the shiny silver metal tape that's available at hardware stores would do an excellent job of replicating the look of the polished stainless on these vintage tanks. Even if you don't have corner frame pieces, you could just apply it directly to the outside of the glass. If you took your time and kept the tape smooth and straight, I think you could pull it off. Then hit your light hood with chrome spray paint and you'd be all retro!

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd post another update with a movie that I took a couple weeks ago. Most of you have probably seen it, as I posted it in the video area. Just thought I'd include it in this thread.

BTW Sakura, I took your advice and am doing weekly water changes.

• 9 months later...