Color Changers

Well, my black teles Bojack Black Moor in my avatar decided to change colors on me about a month ago. Here's some proof that most Black Moors will revert back to their golden color. A few things I've noticed throughout this gradual change:

1. His eyes started turning from black to gold tint.

2. Patches of scales turning from black to gold.

3. Light streaks of gold in his pelvic and dorsal fins.

Overall I've noticed he started changing color about three months ago. I noticed his belly was turning from black to a more pronounced silver color, which I think was the start of it all. I've had Bojack for nine months so it doesn't take long for them to change. I don't know what the final outcome of his color change may be, possibly a very light yellow or maybe a panda pattern, who knows? I imagine at this rate he'll be finished changing color in six more months.

I'm not at all disappointed, he's still Bojack and he's here to stay. Maybe sometime down the road I'll get a Black Moor from Steve that I know will hold it's color. Here are some photos of my buddy Bojack doing the chameleon thing. And I won't change my name either! :D

-Dennis

Bojack the black teles before:

7.jpg

Bojack the black teles after:

bo1.jpg

bo2.jpg

He is such a cutie! :)

That's why we always tell the newbies not to choose a fish for the color. :exactly

Exactly Sarah, hopefully this may help some newer members when they choose a young fish specifically for color! Never count your goldfish before they're hatched! :bingo:

-Dennis

Yup, my dude Apollo started to change almost immediately after I got him. I guess it's more to do with breeding, than anything else.

Is it rare to get a black moor that doesn't change colour?

Yup, my dude Apollo started to change almost immediately after I got him. I guess it's more to do with breeding, than anything else.

Is it rare to get a black moor that doesn't change colour?

Well, from what I've read and heard it's quite difficult to find a true Black Moor these days. With all of the inbreeding of the gold color in behind them, that's why we see very few true blacks anymore that will keep their black color.

-Dennis

Edited by blackteles

Wow Bojack looks great. I've just recently started to notice my blackmoor's eyes are ringed in bronze now. Also when I first turn on the light his belly is completely bronze and gradually returns to black. So I imagine he will soon change color too. :)

:goodpost

That's exactly right!

To get into further detail, here's a quote from Mod daryl who knows her business. See below quote.

-Dennis

The "Black Moor" fish that is derived from the original "English Black Moor" goldfish were densely black fish that retained their black color through life. They are hardy pond fish that thrive in colder climates.

The English Black Moor is also a rather long bodied fish - one that is not, currently, in favor in the goldfish world. A number of years ago, they were crossed into the telescope/demekin/dragoneye fish that carry the deeper, more compact bodies that are the rage. This cross introduced a great many "orange" genes into the gene pool, making many blacks very unstable as a fish ages.

Some black moors have a more stable "black gene". Others do not. Within lines of black fish, you can get them that hold their color well, and ones that go to orange at a rather early age. Also of concern is the "bronzing" of the fish -typically in the belly - genetically driven, also....

If your fish is genetically inclined to become red/orange, it will, regardless of what lighting you use. In a fish such as the one you show here, you will have a red/orange fish within a year or two, most likely. Ones that carry a bronzish tinge or belly are more likely to be enhanced by the light spectrum.

I knew when I brought home Hendrix he would change colors but he has such great looking fins I wanted him anyways. He has a lot of bronze and some orange on his belly.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some before/afters of Cinco......totally different fish.

IMG_2764.jpg before

IMG_3378.jpg mid

IMG_4711.jpg last night

I have no idea how much more he will change....but he is cool looking!

Gotta love Cinco the Teleyukin! He's SO cute!

I'll post photos this week of my color-changing ranchu, Cheddar. He went from mostly orange with a little white to almost all-white in just a few weeks' time!

I totally want to see Cheddar. One of my ranchus is fading to white too. Looks odd! But, can't stop them!

Thanks-Cinco is cute and a nut! He is the busiest fish I have!

Shoot, I'd just be happy to get a Black Moor to SURVIVE!! I have had them in the past & they ALWAYS die on me fairly quickly. I think I have a Black Moor curse on me (Oh yeah, I forgot the FISH WITCH removed it! Maybe I'll try again soon!!)

AND come to think of it NONE of MY goldies are the color they started out!!!